BF Eurocard - Issues with Payment

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, it says at the bottom . The Card is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd ("WDCS") pursuant to licence by MasterCard International Inc. WDCS is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority

I tried to check my account a few weeks ago and it was locked, would not tell me anything. I might try and pay EDF to see if the card is still valid. Rhys

The Starling card which DW has mentioned is certainly top of the Martin Lewis recommendations for debit cards with overseas use, and his top pick for credit cards used overseas is the Barclaycard Rewa

4 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Went to have a look at my Eurocard Balance and found they currently are not accepting payments:

https://eurocard.brittany-ferries.co.uk/bf

Something to do with Wirecard?

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/requirements-imposed-wirecard-authorisation

Yes, it says at the bottom

. The Card is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd ("WDCS") pursuant to licence by MasterCard International Inc. WDCS is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to conduct electronic money service activities under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 

The money is probably safe, however may take a while to get your money back,

I personally like the Starling account which gives free worldwide access at cash machines and in retail establishments & if you really want to lock an exchange rate, there is even a euro account with cheap transfers in and the same card can be switched online to operate the Euro accoumt.

• Like 1

I tried to check my account a few weeks ago and it was locked, would not tell me anything.

I might try and pay EDF to see if the card is still valid.

Rhys

• Like 1

The Starling card which DW has mentioned is certainly top of the Martin Lewis recommendations for debit cards with overseas use, and his top pick for credit cards used overseas is the Barclaycard Rewards card. His comments on those cards and others are on MoneySavingExpert.com 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Just have to wait for it to flow down to the BF site.

I imagine that most holders won’t have even noticed that it was suspended, however this would never have happened to a UK bank !

Has anyone tried their BF Eurocard since the overall FCA suspension was lifted?  BF Eurocard website still saying 'suspended'.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Has anyone tried their BF Eurocard since the overall FCA suspension was lifted?  BF Eurocard website still saying 'suspended'.

I have a FairFX card, same set up as the BF card and although I havent actually used it yet, the account is active and I can add to it, as well as the issuer e mailing to the effect that all restrictions have been lifted. Its possible (probable) that BF havent updated that part of their website yet.

I cannot access my account or check the balance. There is this message on the website:

“To retrieve your balance or if you require any information about your transactions, please contact the customer services team at Brittany.ferries@exelaonline.com whilst essential maintenance is being carried out to ensure the security of your account. Please note, you can continue to top up your card as normal, as well as use your card for overseas ATM withdrawals and in store purchases as expected.”

I had intended to top up the card and believe it or not this option still exists. I started to send the money but thought to check on here first. I am very glad I did. However, it begs the point: How can they still be offering banking services on the Euro Card when they appear to have gone bust!

1 hour ago, KenTownley said:

I cannot access my account or check the balance. There is this message on the website:

“To retrieve your balance or if you require any information about your transactions, please contact the customer services team at Brittany.ferries@exelaonline.com whilst essential maintenance is being carried out to ensure the security of your account. Please note, you can continue to top up your card as normal, as well as use your card for overseas ATM withdrawals and in store purchases as expected.”

I had intended to top up the card and believe it or not this option still exists. I started to send the money but thought to check on here first. I am very glad I did. However, it begs the point: How can they still be offering banking services on the Euro Card when they appear to have gone bust!

Complicated set up but...This stems from problems with the card issuer called cardwire. The parent company in Germany, cardwire AG has gone bust and a number of senior execs arrested. The UK cards are operated by Cardwire UK who are supervised by the FCA. Unlike Germany all funds are required to be held in a ring fenced Escrow account in the UK. Presently operated by Barclays. As soon as the German firm went under the FCA in London froze all their accounts. BF card and FairFX being just 2. All monies were verified as intact by Barclays and have now been released. I do know that FairFX are in the process of switching to a new card issuer in the near future.

You`ll need to speak to however operates the BF card and take it from there. Hope that helps

It has been several months since you could access your account and check payments and balance on line.  I emailed brittany.ferries@exelaonline.com and they emailed back my balance.  I aim to ckeck the card in an ATM soon!

I am now quite relieved that I cancelled our July Santander crossing as I would have loaded my card with a quantity of euros which I may not have been able to use in Spain in august? At least now we are going to Wales I can use my English pounds. ( It may not be quite as sunny of course!)

7 minutes ago, mjturner said:

I am now quite relieved that I cancelled our July Santander crossing as I would have loaded my card with a quantity of euros which I may not have been able to use in Spain in august? At least now we are going to Wales I can use my English pounds. ( It may not be quite as sunny of course!)

I really don't understand why anyone uses cards like these,  there are a number of better options which cost less and are better protected ! 

MJT, you were very wise not to pay good money in advance on to that card - especially because it cannot be used where you need it at automated fuel stations or  at autoroute toll booths -  and to add insult to injury which charges 1.5% to withdraw your own money from an ATM. , and charges even even more to cancel the card and get your own money back. 

There are several debit cards which don't ask you to pay in advance,  but simply let you pay as you go, fee free, from a home  bank account, and even better there are credit cards which let you pay a month or more in arrears, and are also fee free. 

Enjoy Wales.

We use Fairfx..have done for years and it hasn't cost me a cent.. Although I only use it for goods and services. The big advantage, over debit/credit cards is it allows you to purchase currency in advance when the rates are at their most favourable..

Horses for courses I suppose

We use a couple of different options for use abroad.

Monzo current account (free) lets you use your debit card for no charge and withdraw up to £200 in cash for no extra charge. Has the added bonus of a nifty app that updates instantly

Virgin Money credit card, free to use abroad for purchases

Transferwise currency account (free) lets you keep balanced in multiple currencies and move around in the app. Useful as if you have a balance of 99.50 Euros you can spend 99.50 Euros, rather than roughly guess what your balance equates to. No transaction charges for using the card, and a £200 allowance for cash before fees kick in. Also handy for incoming/outgoing international transfers. Updates instantly.

Posted (edited)

We have a similar collection to Jim - In addition to my Nationwide flexplus cards which are global and free to use which come as part of a paid for bundle of  Excellent Insurance products we have:-

Starling - very similar to Monzo, however can have free access to £300 per day from worldwide cash machines & instant updating of spend in app - that was very useful for our Round the World trip as with 2 single accounts & a joint account we had 4 cards between us - I always like to have backup - I once had my Nationwide card swallowed up in a machine in Chile.

Halifax Clarity - global credit card with no currency conversion fees.

In addition, with Starling one can have an optional Euro account which costs just 0.4% to transfer money into and then can give free transfers in the Euro zone - the debit card can also be linked online to the euro account if you decide to move cash in with a decent rate, 

Edited by David Williams

I used to use TANDEM (Harrods) bank which gave cashback and 0% foreign usage fees, but they started charging monthly fee, so use Halifax Clarity abroad now like David says above.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

In addition to my Nationwide flexplus cards which are global and free to use which come as part of a paid for bundle of  Excellent Insurance products we have:-

David..Thanks for that

Interesting we are looking at a new account and its come down to the Nationwide or Co op Bank with the paid for bundles. Reasonable price I think for the over 70`s as well. Are there any drawbacks with the Nationwide accounts or bundles that you are aware of?..Thanks again

Posted (edited)

I think that the flexplus is good value, we moved some time ago from coop to Nationwide flexplus. When our son was with us we claimed for a few lost or damaged iphones and they replaced them ok and the car breakdown service is quite efficient. Travel Insurance has reasonable conditions and top ups can be bought for age and expensive / long holidays. 
The debit card is free to use with no currency fees worldwide. I think that it is good value at £13 a month 

ps at present all covid related claims are out for holidays booked after mid March, hopefully that will change at some point

pps and car breakdown includes Europe

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1