BF Eurocard - Issues with Payment

2 hours ago, Paully said:

David..Thanks for that

Interesting we are looking at a new account and its come down to the Nationwide or Co op Bank with the paid for bundles. Reasonable price I think for the over 70`s as well. Are there any drawbacks with the Nationwide accounts or bundles that you are aware of?..Thanks again

Had excellent quick service when I had to claim on the flexplus travel insurance a few years back the only thing with the travel insurance as David says is that it doesn’t cover Covid claims.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, it says at the bottom . The Card is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd ("WDCS") pursuant to licence by MasterCard International Inc. WDCS is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority

I tried to check my account a few weeks ago and it was locked, would not tell me anything. I might try and pay EDF to see if the card is still valid. Rhys

The Starling card which DW has mentioned is certainly top of the Martin Lewis recommendations for debit cards with overseas use, and his top pick for credit cards used overseas is the Barclaycard Rewa

Thanks guys for the info...They both use AXA for travel who are a reputable company indeed and I know they wont cover Covid cancellation, but I understand they will now cover you for Covid whilst abroad and Repat..God forbid..but I`ll look further into it and towards Nationwide.

8 minutes ago, Paully said:

Thanks guys for the info...They both use AXA for travel who are a reputable company indeed and I know they wont cover Covid cancellation, but I understand they will now cover you for Covid whilst abroad and Repat..God forbid..but I`ll look further into it and towards Nationwide.

Nationwide flexplus use UK Insurance for travel insurance https://u-k-insurance.co.uk/

Edited by David Williams

I remember the heady days when just before Brexit the BF card could still be topped up at over 1.40, and then dropped to 1.10.  We enjoyed two or three trips on that wonderful rate. I wonder when that will return? Buying euros at a high point was always the big advantage of the card.

• Like 1

Been with Nationwide for a few years now. After the removal of a small interest payment for having a FlexPlus account, which negated  half  the monthly charge, then the monthly charge went up got me looking at what I really got from "free" travel insurance and breakdown cover. Add the extra fee for "age" cover plus  "Covid cover only covered if I booked before March- what is a "booking" if its frequently been amended to a booking after March?
Little "get out clauses" sneaking in for my liking. So I  checked having  coverage away from what the big banks offer. At Christmas 2019 the insurance market seemed to be level in cost with the offering from a Nationwide account.

Wife and I both have loaded Caxton FX cards but after  the Wire AG thing we have reduced our money held quite substantially in these cards. Hardly used them much in France over the years except for cash, then realised we were walking around with too much cash. And as has been happening over the last 3 months and previously in France we just didnt use cash much at all, just a Visa credit card. Even our insurer in France  (Groupama) last year stopped taking "payment traditionale" and now take a credit card instead.

• Thanks 1

There are no value products from Nationwide any longer I think. Their deposit rates are derisory and over the years they have removed virtually every advantage from their cards. £156 for breakdown and travel insurance  with additional health screening for pre-existing conditions? You're paying for that and they are getting commission too...

• 4 months later...

Latest email received :-

"Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you of a temporary disruption in our services to you.  

Effective immediately, you will be unable to use your Brittany Ferries Prepaid Mastercard® Euro Card while we work to rectify the situation. Unfortunately, this disruption is out of our control and is a result in a disruption in service from a third-party supplier.  Please rest assured that your money and card details are safe and secure, and we are working to have you back up and running as quickly as possible.

If you require immediate assistance, please contact the customer services team by sending an email to brittany.ferries@exelaonline.com"

The card has been working as I used it to pay a deposit in France with the balance that was on it, so let us hope that it will all be sorted soon.

I try to avoid products that companies pedal which are far removed from their core business. What do BF know about banking and finance? What meaningful due diligence do they do before getting into bed with these companies? Very little, I suspect - but the juicy promises of the 'sure fire' profit share are very seductive. 

When it goes wrong, pleas of 'nothing to do with us, its the supplier' carry little weight with me - its an abrogation of their (BF's) responsibility and duty of care and protection towards their customer.

Well, that's just my two pennyworth.

Last June when there was a problem (wirecard Germany) the FCA stepped in immediately (for once) and froze all the assets of the UK arm who issued cards like this and FairFX whom I`m with. They investigated the cash deposits and satisfied themselves they were all held in ring fenced trust accounts, unlike many in Europe, and could only be called down once customers wanted their cash out. 

Since then, they have been watching them all like a hawk, so maybe this glitch was something the FCA wanted to investigate further.

I believe that wirecard uk is being taken over by a German Bank, however I would never use a product like this, the small print in the BF site is enough.

The Prepaid Card is an electronic money product and although it is a product regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, it is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. No other compensation scheme exists to cover losses claimed in connection with the Prepaid Card. This means that in the event that Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd becomes insolvent your funds may become valueless and unusable and as a result you may lose your money

As have been discussed in previous posts there are other ways that are protected that have the same benefits.

On 13/11/2020 at 11:45, Penlan said:

Its a shame as this was quite a good product and offered a not unreasonable rate of exchange.

I think enough is enough though and as soon as the card unlocks I think I will clear mine onto EDF and paying the rates.

Rhys

It was... it was basically the same rate that Club Voyage members got - without having to be a member. Plus you got to flash around a bank card with a freckin Ferry on it! :D To my knowledge though; no cards were produced with the new branding on. My last one issued was a very old Normandie shot, 2 iterations of livery back... even before the re-branding!

19 hours ago, Rattler43 said:

Wirecard's European business sold to Banco Santander pending regulatory approvals.

Unmoved !  No intention of paying money to them upfront and in advance for spending I might possibly one day do.  

I pay on a credit card for everything I buy, home or overseas, and settle the one single bill, interest free, at the end of each month.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, wortley said:

Unmoved !  No intention of paying money to them upfront and in advance for spending I might possibly one day do.  

I pay on a credit card for everything I buy, home or overseas, and settle the one single bill, interest free, at the end of each month.

What is your card of choice Wortley!? 

21 hours ago, wortley said:

I would also like to know the card you use. One with zero interest on all payments sounds like heaven!