BF Eurocard - Issues with Payment

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, it says at the bottom . The Card is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd ("WDCS") pursuant to licence by MasterCard International Inc. WDCS is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority

I tried to check my account a few weeks ago and it was locked, would not tell me anything. I might try and pay EDF to see if the card is still valid. Rhys

The Starling card which DW has mentioned is certainly top of the Martin Lewis recommendations for debit cards with overseas use, and his top pick for credit cards used overseas is the Barclaycard Rewa

On 18/11/2020 at 12:37, KenTownley said:

I would also like to know the card you use. One with zero interest on all payments sounds like heaven!

We use a Halifax Clarity card. Last time I looked it was one of the best to use for foreign currency transactions. They use the money market rather than tourist conversion rate and do not build a transaction fee into the conversion rate. For those increasingly rare times we need cash, I also use it for getting money out of the hole in the wall when we are away. Using a credit card for cash goes against all we have been told over the years, but if you pay it off as soon as the bill arrives it is cheaper than using a debit card with their various fees or one of the travel money shops.

Other than getting a new card, a MasterCard will give a better conversion rate than Visa.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

We use a Halifax Clarity card.

Definitely the best generally available free credit card for worldwide use. There are a number of options for European  or worldwide free debit card use, I find Starling the best and if you really want a clone of the BF card you can link a Euro account to that as well ( however the Euro account does cost 0.4% at time of currency conversion, the standard sterling account just uses money market rates at time of spending it.

Note we are currently fortunate in the UK. My Britine  French account costs a Euro a month to run and if I want a debit card it would cost extra to obtain and use.

Edited by David Williams

Halifax Clarity even worked faultlessly in Luang Prabang, and the ATM spewed out more than a million Kip for £100 sterling - but I found later that the local market traders preferred payment in Thai baht. All that after the immigration officer at the airport had requested I pay the entry fee in US dollars. 

Edited by wortley

Whilst there is no doubt that Clarity and other such cards are great for use round Europe. We still have the old Santander zero card, which is very good. But the reason we took out a Fair FX type card was it in effect allows you to buy ahead, or hedge, your holiday currency. During the year when the exchange rate is favourable we buy. When we actually go away it may have collapsed (it does frequently) and no matter how good your CC is, it still won`t give you as much bang for your bucks..

Doesnt suit everyone of course, but it does us.

On 10/07/2020 at 10:30, Millsy said:

There are no value products from Nationwide any longer I think. Their deposit rates are derisory and over the years they have removed virtually every advantage from their cards. £156 for breakdown and travel insurance  with additional health screening for pre-existing conditions? You're paying for that and they are getting commission too...

Trying to get away from "travel insurance" and looking to get "medical cover" only in France for up to 5 trips a year.

Does anyone do such a thing? I really don't want to get coverage for loosing a £13 mobile phone or losing my luggage in transit (its in the car!) and as far as cancellation delays- I just take the next available ferry! 

Simple medical insurance cover doesn't seem to exist. I want a "get me better policy with a "ship me back in a box" as an extra benefit! I also dont want a long conditions/omissions/restrictions  pile of bumf to read.

Toddle pip,

Now wash your hands.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

A bit of googling shows that the BF pages are still there https://eurocard.brittany-ferries.co.uk/bf

However Wirebank UK was meant to be wound down last year and the card services transferred to Railsbank by now, that does not seem to have happened.

Note that any cash in the account is not protected.

The FCA acted with speed and froze Wirecard UK `s accounts straight away. Turns out that unlike the German fiasco the UK money was contained within ` ring fenced` accounts held at Barclays. They are now subject to surveillance by the FCA. 

The FCA acted with speed and froze Wirecard UK `s accounts straight away. Turns out that unlike the German fiasco the UK money was contained within ` ring fenced` accounts held at Barclays. They are now subject to surveillance by the FCA. 

So the money that I have on the card should still be available

when I return to France, hopefully in September this year...?

• 3 weeks later...

Received email to say that they are closing the scheme down and to withdraw the funds before 30th April 2021 at market rate. Will have to find an alternative now which can be preloaded when rates are good, any ideas?

30 minutes ago, mjturner said:

Received email to say that they are closing the scheme down and to withdraw the funds before 30th April 2021 at market rate. Will have to find an alternative now which can be preloaded when rates are good, any ideas?

If it is Euros, I would recommend a Starling bank account with Linked Euro account.

Withdrawals are free and it is only one tap to switch the debit cards between the Sterling and Euro accounts.

It is also fully protected.

ps, however it is all smartphone based.

Edited by David Williams
23 hours ago, mjturner said:

Who sent the e mail please? Brittany Ferries or Railsbank or some other authority?  Has Brittany Ferries made any public statement or put anything on their website? 

23 hours ago, mjturner said:

I have received this email and when I go into the site to try to look at my account it says "To retrieve your balance or if you require any information about your transactions, please contact the customer services team at Brittany.ferries@exelaonline.com whilst essential maintenance is being carried out to ensure the security of your account. "  So they are not making it easy to find out balance details or a statement. Also at the moment in London all of my nearest Euro cashpoint machines are closed to withdraw the cash in euros, due I suppose to Covid travel restrictions causing the cash machine owners to not refill the machines.

2 hours ago, wortley said:

Who sent the e mail please? Brittany Ferries or Railsbank or some other authority?  Has Brittany Ferries made any public statement or put anything on their website? 

Email was from 

tuxedomoney at cmp.dotmailer.co.uk ???

Have emailed the exel email address to try and see what my balance is. Should only be a couple of Euros

tuxedomoney at cmp.dotmailer.co.uk

I have received the same email. They state that they will refund the card's balance to my bank account. Trouble is they ask for bank details. I am not prepared to put these in an open email. I have asked Tuxedo Money for a phone number to discuss but no reply so far.

But...Tuxedo Money? ...Really? That sounds very dodgy to me.

Any ideas, fellow Enthusiasts?

Edited by KenTownley
spelling
38 minutes ago, KenTownley said:

tuxedomoney at cmp.dotmailer.co.uk

I have received the same email. They state that they will refund the card's balance to my bank account. Trouble is they ask for bank details. I am not prepared to put these in an open email. I have asked Tuxedo Money for a phone number to discuss but no reply so far.

But...Tuxedo Money? ...Really? That sounds very dodgy to me.

Any ideas, fellow Enthusiasts?

A sensible precaution. Surely when the card was set up there was a nominated feeder account from which money would be sent / credited back, and these details would be held securely by the card issuer.

This does sound like a scam.

It does sound like a scam and presumably not one that BF want their name associated with. 

Why not email them asking for the bank details they believe to be correct and which you can then confirm?

Ed

Do these cards not allow you to withdraw funds from ATMs - whether you are in UK or in EU . Or have these cards died completely? Is Brittany Ferries doing nothing to help?