Jump to content

St Malo Stevedore Firm Enters Administration


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Not good news for St Malo. 

Yes and no.  Depends whether whatever outfit that replaces them recruits dockers that are as strike-happy as the last lot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Needed to happen. A fresh start with new port operator. Incoming business has changed big time. New mayor and council tomorrow too. Horton probably and unfortunately...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the company has gone into adminitration after a year of restructuring attempts. Therefore all the employees have been laid off and the company's contract to provide services to the port of St Malo presumably terminated.

They are obviously unhappy with the decision but their grievance should lie with their former employers and managers and not the company's client. Therefore they have no good reason to hinder access to the port as they are no longer employed or allowed to be on the site.

And if the port has sourced alternative dockers to fill the gap and maintain its buisness until a new permanent supplier can be found then that too is not a reason to protest.

If this continues, BF will not be able to run Bretagne there in the coming weeks nor send her to Cherbourg for the reason stated above meaning yet more dissapointed customers and lost money in an already catastrophic season.

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites

The dockers may be in a bit of a quandry as to where to direct their ire, bankrupt employer or the shipping companies?

Why?

Their employer is jointly owned by 5 other businesses, 2 of whom are Brittany Ferries and Condor.....................

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s obviously a concern for people thinking of travelling but not sure an added unneeded complication, hopefully it’s sorted out soon ,just had a look on the Saint Malo webcam and there’s a  large plum f black smoke billowing in the blue sky (just right of the casino) I hope the two things aren’t connected.

Edited by neilcvx
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It’s obviously a concern for people thinking of travelling but not sure an added unneeded complication, hopefully it’s sorted out soon ,just had a look on the Saint Malo webcam and there’s a  large plum f black smoke billowing in the blue sky (just right of the casino) I hope the two things aren’t connected.

They very probably are. And a national strike has been called in their support. 

https://saint-malo.maville.com/actu/actudet_-saint-malo.-le-mouvement-des-dockers-s-etend-en-france_fil-4171374_actu.Htm

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They very probably are. And a national strike has been called in their support. 

https://saint-malo.maville.com/actu/actudet_-saint-malo.-le-mouvement-des-dockers-s-etend-en-france_fil-4171374_actu.Htm

Ed

Apparantly asking for the redundancies to be cancelled???...what?? serious??..which part of bankrupcy do the unions not understand...Honestly these guys are beyond parody...Just glad I havent made any booking yet. The sad part is that enquiries for accomodation from September are gathering pace in France, according to our friends. Just stupid..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well, the company has gone into adminitration after a year of restructuring attempts. Therefore all the employees have been laid off and the company's contract to provide services to the port of St Malo presumably terminated.

They are obviously unhappy with the decision but their grievance should lie with their former employers and managers and not the company's client. Therefore they have no good reason to hinder access to the port as they are no longer employed or allowed to be on the site.

And if the port has sourced alternative dockers to fill the gap and maintain its buisness until a new permanent supplier can be found then that too is not a reason to protest.

If this continues, BF will not be able to run Bretagne there in the coming weeks nor send her to Cherbourg for the reason stated above meaning yet more dissapointed customers and lost money in an already catastrophic season.

Ed

Do you honestly think the French unions will let other dockers take over the dockers work that have been laid off?we all know what the French unions are like they are fiercely guard there union principles like it or loathe it solidarity is there key word.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I note that the Le Havre dockers will be joining in, must have been a bit boring for them not having a strike recently.

The good bit about Ouisterham is the lack of national unions - however they do appear to be more spontaneous !

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note that the Le Havre dockers will be joining in, must have been a bit boring for them not having a strike recently.

The good bit about Ouisterham is the lack of national unions - however they do appear to be more spontaneous !

There is also an ex-Prime Minister who just happens to be Mayor of Le Havre and has clashed with the unions before and a new Prime Minister who has yet to impose his authority on anyone. Ed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried to explain before, but Paully with his shock at the guys wanting their jobs back indicates I failed.

French law stipulates that "horizontal" dock movements of cargo are handled by licenced dockers. Crane operators etc are different. The law has been updated several times. In St Malo a private company, SMM, owned by BF, Condor, Roulier and other port users employed 34 dockers. BF use them for unaccompanied trailers, so a couple of dockers for a few hours each day. Condor similar, mainly for their freight boats. Everything else is loaded and unloaded "vertically" by port employees . The dockers shift timber and other freight around on land. Business changes in a port and the shareholders of SMM have changing requirements for dockers' hours. Too many employees? Fast and loose management? Things were shaky hence administration last year and Covid was the end.

But dockers are needed. Not normally port employees as not using port owned equipment or machinery. Hence private companies. There are jobs to save and all the interested parties need to pull their fingers out, fast.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, colin said:

I have tried to explain before, but Paully with his shock at the guys wanting their jobs back indicates I failed.

French law stipulates that "horizontal" dock movements of cargo are handled by licenced dockers. Crane operators etc are different. The law has been updated several times. In St Malo a private company, SMM, owned by BF, Condor, Roulier and other port users employed 34 dockers. BF use them for unaccompanied trailers, so a couple of dockers for a few hours each day. Condor similar, mainly for their freight boats. Everything else is loaded and unloaded "vertically" by port employees . The dockers shift timber and other freight around on land. Business changes in a port and the shareholders of SMM have changing requirements for dockers' hours. Too many employees? Fast and loose management? Things were shaky hence administration last year and Covid was the end.

But dockers are needed. Not normally port employees as not using port owned equipment or machinery. Hence private companies. There are jobs to save and all the interested parties need to pull their fingers out, fast.

Then clearly you have misunderstood what I meant...If a firm goes kaput then no one can be employed. It matters not their role or responsibility. It simply is not possible to continue the payroll. Ergo why go on strike and get others to follow your example?..Pragmatism is what is required. Calm reflection and for these workers to sit down with local business and civic leaders to help rescue or reform some sort of new employer. What form that takes is a matter for negotiation but putting a `pistol to someones head` as a starting point, from my experience, is not going to work. It never does, ever has and never will....At least not from my experience of business. But maybe France has different rules

Edited by Paully
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

France loves histrionics! If the temperature does not rise, no-one feels satisfied.

I suspect a solution is already close....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...