Restart but no foot passengers

Revenue based..... on a similar question I assessed that BF would want the cabin space reserved for a higher revenue (vehicle) ticket.

example > car, pax & cabin = £300 -v- footpax & cabin = £150 

>> With the 50% reduction on passengers being carried because of CV19, they are happy to “bump off” the lowest generating tickets 

2 minutes ago, daves_pad! said:

Revenue based..... on a similar question I assessed that BF would want the cabin space reserved for a higher revenue (vehicle) ticket.

example > car, pax & cabin = £300 -v- footpax & cabin = £150 

>> With the 50% reduction on passengers being carried because of CV19, they are happy to “bump off” the lowest generating tickets 

Interesting, but we have already booked a cabin both ways! 

That is undoubtedly and logically a major factor. I do no agree with some of my BFE buddies about the need for the company to earn as much as possible, quickly. I try to never deny facts, but to understand them. No more from me on this.

5 minutes ago, Aphrodite said:

....But because vehicle  pax pay more per journey than foot passengers,  they would rather take your “cabin” with a <car space> rather than a <foot> space as the ticket vale is higher than a foot pax space. 

>> not that I agree with it in any way

13 minutes ago, Aphrodite said:

If you have an existing foot passenger booking, they will honour it if possible ( there is a tweet to that effect). 

image.png.b6b82a5e150ca784562a3353179503c1.png

ps - it is a lot easier coping with a handful of passengers than a few hundred !

Edited by David Williams

My take would be not financial but more people management. They appear to be determined to `herd` people about from the car deck to the upper accomodation and vice versa. They have already said they want people to remain in their vehicles, impossible with footies or cyclists, until called forward. They most likely will not have enough deck crew to marshall (corral) those without vehicles, so having thought about it have decided, for the time being to just convey vehicles until their practices have been fined tuned.

Fortunately these practices will be in the hands of professional and experienced seafarers and not the IT Dept so it will probably work. I would expect footies and cyclists to be included again after the peak season towards the end of August.

Just my view for what its worth.

• Like 1

The ships will not be sailing full.  Every 2 foot passengers they take is a car containing 2 passengers that they can’t take.  They won’t want to further reduce the number of vehicles carried from the already restricted number.  Not sure they have the luxury of thinking in terms of “maximising profits”, it must be a challenge just to ensure that they break even on the sailings.  And every vehicle they voluntarily turn away is another handicap the the sailing breaking even.

So this decision, whilst a pain for those wanting to travel, seems perfectly easy to understand to me.  A couple of extra foot passengers when the car deck is full is no skin off anyone’s nose, but when they will be wanting to take as many cars in a part-full car deck as they can within the restrictions, they are not going to want to make the already hard job of making the sailings viable even harder.

Even in normal times the only way I would use a ferry as a foot pax these days is if I wanted to go no further than the immediate vicinity of the port of arrival or had a hire car waiting. Onward travel via the tunnel is much more convenient and SNCF are so easy to deal with online these days. 

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

Even in normal times the only way I would use a ferry as a foot pax these days is if I wanted to go no further than the immediate vicinity of the port of arrival or had a hire car waiting. Onward travel via the tunnel is much more convenient and SNCF are so easy to deal with online these days. 

I don’t drive and get collected in Cherbourg anyway - unless I am just having a day poking around there.  Looks like a bit of a longer wait for us footies but so be it.  Everything is different at the moment, at least we are getting our ferry back and I would not travel anyway during the summer months so business as usual for me!

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

Horses for courses. We have a flat close to Ouistreham, last  year our son came over as a foot passenger and we met him at the terminal. This year my sister in law is coming over and will take a couple of buses from the port to the flat.

That's a good point. And anyone who has renewed their membership automatically since March, and can prove they've only ever used it as a foot passenger, can therefore justifiably ask BF to suspend the restart of their rights until they again take footies. Ed. 

• Like 1

Calm down everyone, here’s an extract from the June Club Voyage newsletter to soothe Sunday morning tempers....🤣

Chris

You may remember we extended your Club Voyage membership by 2 months back in April, and as a thank you for your continued support we’d like to extend this again by an additional 2 months which have been automatically added to your membership.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oddly enough I had a long weekend booked in St Malo booked under club voyage as a foot passenger.  When I read this site about the foot passenger issue I amended the booking to take my car.  This came to an additional £30, which is even cheaper than the £13/day for leaving my car at the multistorey at Portsmouth, and gives me the bonus to fill the boot up with chuchen and cider if needed.  I guess this is down to the number of cancellations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aha - so.  It’s a conspiracy.  Between Chris and BF.  It’s clear now.  WBS has obviously done a deal with BF to subsidise vehicle fares in order to make BF make customers take their cars over! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Speaking of tempers, how's your wife's this morning? Is she still heading back to the UK tomorrow or have you rebooked it? Ed. 

Well funny you should mention that Ed......

So once Normandie was scratched for early July, her return crossing back to France next Friday was no more and she received a £75 voucher. But with the 14 day stay at home period still in place she decided not to take the chance and has now booked another seperate round trip 2 weeks later. I understand the difficulty in trying to contact everyone so she will use the full credit on next weeks crossing another time. It's all a bit frustrating for all concerned, and business is complicated but there's not a lot we can do about it at the moment..

Chris

Shame that the car-sharing options like BlaBla Car don't include BF.

Since we live in Caen and our final destination is Portsmouth we would be able to car-share from Ouistreham (fish market) to the ship and then ship to PIP exit gate. Or of course a similar arrangement outbound from LeH, Cherbourg or StM?

Maybe someone doing a "wine and cheese" run or similar would have room for 2 pax. I'm sure we could manage a case of wine on each of our laps!

Of course dovetailing out and return trips would probably involve breaking out the spreadsheet. Not having taken a car cross-channel since the 1990s don't know pricing; would the two extra pax be charged at same as footies or is the car price same for 2 or 4 pax? [I did try to check on the site but it was poorly again,  a bit of a fit of the vapours}

Just thinking aloud...

On 28/06/2020 at 08:23, ZinedineBiscan said:

Oddly enough I had a long weekend booked in St Malo booked under club voyage as a foot passenger.  When I read this site about the foot passenger issue I amended the booking to take my car.  This came to an additional £30, which is even cheaper than the £13/day for leaving my car at the multistorey at Portsmouth, and gives me the bonus to fill the boot up with chuchen and cider if needed.  I guess this is down to the number of cancellations.

That thought did cross my mind, but we would only need to park the car in Roscoff as we have free parking in Plymouth.

On 27/06/2020 at 13:10, Paully said:

My take would be not financial but more people management.

I was thinking along similar lines but another possible reason is that by not taking foot passengers BF do not have the operational or cost overhead of organising buses at ports.

In the long run, with sustainable travel being on most governments agendas, it might not be possible for operators to totally ban footies.

16 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

I was thinking along similar lines but another possible reason is that by not taking foot passengers BF do not have the operational or cost overhead of organising buses at ports.

In the long run, with sustainable travel being on most governments agendas, it might not be possible for operators to totally ban footies.

But they are taking foot passengers if possible who have pre booked. However there is a difference between a handful and hundreds in the way that they can be moved through the port - the shuttle buses would have to hold far less people and crowds would need to be discouraged from clustering !

I don't understand the logic re bikes as they self load and are not that different  to motorbikes re procedures - they also tend to jump the queue at passport control !

Edited by David Williams
6 hours ago, Aphrodite said:

That thought did cross my mind, but we would only need to park the car in Roscoff as we have free parking in Plymouth.

There is free long stay parking at the Gare (station) in Roscoff. 

• Like 1