Sign in to follow this  
elaine80

P&O and Tesco Clubcard Vouchers

Many of you have suffered at the hands of BF closing its phone lines but at least there isn't the added complication of being able to redeem Tesco Clubcard Vouchers against the cost of a ferry crossing.

We can't get to France this summer so we have booked to go to Northern Ireland for a few days. I realised yesterday that I could save £165 on the ferry fares if I cashed in my Clubcard points. P&O limits the number of bookings using Clubcard Vouchers per sailing so you need to phone to check the availability, but the phone lines are closed. I tweeted P&O looking for help and was asked to post the details of the crossings I was looking at, but I wasn't willing to advertise when the house will be empty so I asked if I could DM the details. I sent the DM and they came back telling me to DM another part of P&O. Second DM sent and the reply was to send an email. Email sent and the reply was that they are currently dealing with emails up to 21st June and if I haven't heard within 12 days to contact them again; we travel in 14 days and the crossings need to be booked at least 7 days in advance to use the vouchers so I can't wait that long for a reply. Sent another DM and was asked to send a contact phone number. Sent the phone number and I have been promised a call within 48 hours.

At least BF has the wonderful Jane handling its Twitter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Many of you have suffered at the hands of BF closing its phone lines but at least there isn't the added complication of being able to redeem Tesco Clubcard Vouchers against the cost of a ferry crossing.

We can't get to France this summer so we have booked to go to Northern Ireland for a few days. I realised yesterday that I could save £165 on the ferry fares if I cashed in my Clubcard points. P&O limits the number of bookings using Clubcard Vouchers per sailing so you need to phone to check the availability, but the phone lines are closed. I tweeted P&O looking for help and was asked to post the details of the crossings I was looking at, but I wasn't willing to advertise when the house will be empty so I asked if I could DM the details. I sent the DM and they came back telling me to DM another part of P&O. Second DM sent and the reply was to send an email. Email sent and the reply was that they are currently dealing with emails up to 21st June and if I haven't heard within 12 days to contact them again; we travel in 14 days and the crossings need to be booked at least 7 days in advance to use the vouchers so I can't wait that long for a reply. Sent another DM and was asked to send a contact phone number. Sent the phone number and I have been promised a call within 48 hours.

At least BF has the wonderful Jane handling its Twitter.

3 things if I may...
I am sure BF would rather quite liked NOT to have lost all their revenue these past 3.5 months, so its really at the hands of Covid, suffering at the hands of Covid, not really bf.
How much money did you have to spend to get £165 off P&O? About 3 million quid at the rate I seem to accrue clubcard vouchers.
Lastly, are you guys serious about Jane? I can't tell. Is she real? :)

45 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

3 things if I may...
I am sure BF would rather quite liked NOT to have lost all their revenue these past 3.5 months, so its really at the hands of Covid, suffering at the hands of Covid, not really bf.
How much money did you have to spend to get £165 off P&O? About 3 million quid at the rate I seem to accrue clubcard vouchers.
Lastly, are you guys serious about Jane? I can't tell. Is she real? :)

I totally agree that BF would much rather have run a normal service this year rather than losing a massive amount of its annual turnover. Covid was the cause of BF closing its phone lines but other organisations managed to keep phone lines open with people answering calls from home. Given the volume of calls that BF would have experienced had the lines been kept open and the number of staff on its books who would normally handle the calls, I can't see how it would have been possible to keep the lines open.

I have £55 of Tesco Clubcard Vouchers but they are worth 3 times that if I use them against P&O fares. They have built up over the last couple of years and as well as my groceries and petrol (I use a tank every 10-14 days in normal times) spending I have used the bonus coupons that they send from time to time that give me an extra 25 points if I buy particular items.

21 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

I totally agree that BF would much rather have run a normal service this year rather than losing a massive amount of its annual turnover. Covid was the cause of BF closing its phone lines but other organisations managed to keep phone lines open with people answering calls from home. Given the volume of calls that BF would have experienced had the lines been kept open and the number of staff on its books who would normally handle the calls, I can't see how it would have been possible to keep the lines open.

I have £55 of Tesco Clubcard Vouchers but they are worth 3 times that if I use them against P&O fares. They have built up over the last couple of years and as well as my groceries and petrol (I use a tank every 10-14 days in normal times) spending I have used the bonus coupons that they send from time to time that give me an extra 25 points if I buy particular items.

Appreciate the reply... but I think it's more of a point of "what's the point". 99% of calls would be "Can I have my refund?"; "No, wait your turn". I have not given up on Ryanair yet, but at least BF reply socially and via mails. I have had zero from Ryanair. Calls (no point). Chat - wait for 4 hours then cut off at 8pm whilst still in the queue. E-mail - ignored. I accept that so am just sitting tight. Why provide a service which has no level of service when you can admit defeat (in a way) and manage it better by not teasing people. Just my opinion anyway. And with the clubcard vouchers - fair play. I used to like getting the 4X bonus for Prezzo actually, that was alright. But it does take an age to build up.... as does Nectar. Can't be bothered with that these days:)

• Like 1

Also - does anyone else find it interesting why loyalty scheme companies such as Nectar and alike have card numbers which are 19 digits long for a user base of a few million; but a debit or credit card is 16 and manages to serve most of the globe? Perhaps it's ambition - each person on earth could have 1000 Nectar cards concurrently and there'll be no issues :)

15 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Appreciate the reply... but I think it's more of a point of "what's the point". 99% of calls would be "Can I have my refund?"; "No, wait your turn". I have not given up on Ryanair yet, but at least BF reply socially and via mails. I have had zero from Ryanair. Calls (no point). Chat - wait for 4 hours then cut off at 8pm whilst still in the queue. E-mail - ignored. I accept that so am just sitting tight. Why provide a service which has no level of service when you can admit defeat (in a way) and manage it better by not teasing people. Just my opinion anyway. And with the clubcard vouchers - fair play. I used to like getting the 4X bonus for Prezzo actually, that was alright. But it does take an age to build up.... as does Nectar. Can't be bothered with that these days:)

I think also, with the speed of the way things have been changing at the moment, it's almost suicide to have a phone line open, remotely staffed or otherwise. What if a member of staff had missed a crucial update or something, and then reported what they beleived to be the true and accurate information on the phone which is recorded, only to be told an hour later the Government has changed all the advice. Strange times I guess but hard to provide a united front from a company perspective if the Government change on a penny. Thats partially what stopped me from even trying to speak to a human at Ryanair - total lack of faith they would have accurate or 'implementable' information.

30 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Also - does anyone else find it interesting why loyalty scheme companies such as Nectar and alike have card numbers which are 19 digits long for a user base of a few million; but a debit or credit card is 16 and manages to serve most of the globe? Perhaps it's ambition - each person on earth could have 1000 Nectar cards concurrently and there'll be no issues :)

I think it's because they are equipped with barcodes that can be scanned at the checkout and each line of the barcode represents a number hence the long series of digits. Ed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cabin-boy said:

I think it's because they are equipped with barcodes that can be scanned at the checkout and each line of the barcode represents a number hence the long series of digits. Ed. 

Love it if that's true. But couldn't you just precede a short number with a series of zeros, or a short 'company code' for barcodes, hide it from the card/correspondence, and make everyones' life easier?

The Tesco and Nectar schemes cost a lot of money to administer. That is paid for, by you the customers, in higher prices on the shelves. Those prices having rocketed during the pandemic. In the case of our local Tesco they have taken on extra staff (think airport security) for the express purpose of barking instructions at customers and herding them round the store like they were a troop of boy scouts (very lucky they are not dealing with the French!) .But horses for courses.

We use Lidl and Aldi whose shelves were well stocked throughout and price levels maintained. Plus they treat their customers in a much more adult way. 

35 minutes ago, Paully said:

We use Lidl and Aldi whose shelves were well stocked throughout and price levels maintained. Plus they treat their customers in a much more adult way. 

Totally agree.... Tesco are thieving so and so's in my opinion. The clubcard is a con to get you through the door, they then charge a pretty penny for very mediocre quality products. The amount I save from Lidl on the till easily out weighs the value of the points you can earn on a loyalty card (where ever you use it).

Having said that, Lidl and Aldi have started to increase some prices and they have followed the robbing 'big four' by reducing the quantity of product without reducing the price, now that they have suckered us all in!

3 hours ago, Paully said:

The Tesco and Nectar schemes cost a lot of money to administer. That is paid for, by you the customers, in higher prices on the shelves

The schemes provide loads of valuable data so that they can understand their customers and target promotions at them. They can also sell summary data to manufacturers.

Sainsburys are now spending most of their promotional spending on targeting specific groups of customers as opposed to the original 1% off scheme.

From a customer's point of view Tesco have loads of excellent good value ways of getting more value from the points, Sainsburys do not !

• Like 1

One of the pleasures of the last three months has been not toiling round either place. I see no reason to return to be honest. It's been bliss...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

The schemes provide loads of valuable data so that they can understand their customers and target promotions at them. They can also sell summary data to manufacturers.

From a customer's point of view Tesco have loads of excellent good value ways of getting more value from the points, Sainsburys do not !

The problem with both of those issues is that it would require me to make purchases and enter their stores. I`m with Millsy on this