Not sure whether this should be here, but anyway .......

Friends of ours, who have a 2nd home down this way in the Herault, haven’t for obvious reasons been able to travel out as they would normally do.

They did however make their crossing as above last Thursday.  It’s their normal routing.  Will be down here for 2 months-ish.

Told us this afternoon that there were just 19 cars and 9 lorries on the sailing ......... so barely 50 passengers on the crossing.

They said that it was actually very nice.  Good weather, picnic lunch on the poop, nobody to disturb them !

You’d imagine that there would have been more freight / private cars for the return ?

• Like 1

Its a route I`d fancy using except that, coming from the north we`d have to use the M25 and having experience the horror of the western sector (Heathrow etc), Mrs P is adamant we won`t be going that way again .Anyone comment on the routing from across the QE Bridge at Dartford down to Newhaven please??..

In my experience, both ‘sides’ of the M25 were horrible, but of course it always depended on the time of day & day of the week.

However .......... important to say that my experience and knowledge is 16 yrs out of date, so things will have undoubtedly improved !

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Paully said:

Its a route I`d fancy using except that, coming from the north we`d have to use the M25 and having experience the horror of the western sector (Heathrow etc), Mrs P is adamant we won`t be going that way again .Anyone comment on the routing from across the QE Bridge at Dartford down to Newhaven please??..

We're heading down there tomorrow for Saturday's 10am sailing. It's the dilemma I'm facing... stay on the A1 to Potters Bar then turn left, branch off down the A14 & M11 and take the same left or head down the A421 south of St Neots, M1 then turn right and pass Heathrow. Done all of them numerous times and they can all be as bad as each other.

Answers on a postcard please!

PS I think Ed may have it right, take advantage of a quiet Heathrow.

Edited by jonno
Posted (edited)

The problem with the Heathrow side is you have the M4 A40 M3 as well, all joining onto an inadequately sized motorway, within a short distance of each other. My reasoning for using the `other` side is that there are not as many feeder roads but thats just on paper, but I`d be interested in which route you take Jonno..Havent booked yet but A34 from oxford down to Pompey is still looking favourite if not a tad expensive. Still looking on the bright side its probably less troublesome than getting to Plymouth via the M5

Edited by Paully
2 hours ago, Paully said:

The problem with the Heathrow side is you have the M4 A40 M3 as well, all joining onto an inadequately sized motorway, within a short distance of each other. My reasoning for using the `other` side is that there are not as many feeder roads but thats just on paper, but I`d be interested in which route you take Jonno..Havent booked yet but A34 from oxford down to Pompey is still looking favourite if not a tad expensive. Still looking on the bright side its probably less troublesome than getting to Plymouth via the M5

Down the A34 is our usual route and would have been again if Normandie had still sailed. The beauty for us is that Ouistreham, Le Havre & Dieppe are all within 90 minutes of our destination.

Still favouring travelling passed Heathrow though as both Thorpe Park & Chessington will be shut too. The new sat nav has a built in camera so I might add a little video just for you... muted of course so you're not subjected to my '80's classic rock warblings... you really don't want to hear me crucifying Livin' on a prayer or Jack & Diane!

• Haha 2

When I was about 7 years old my ambition in life was to become a Thorpe Park Ranger. I'm glad I didn't as that carrier trajectory would probably meant me becoming Pierre le Bear 30 years later. Ed. 

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, jonno said:

The new sat nav has a built in camera so I might add a little video just for you... muted of course so you're not subjected to my '80's classic rock warblings... you really don't want to hear me crucifying Livin' on a prayer or Jack & Diane!

Thats looks to be a serious piece of kit Jonno..Is it one of those that qualifies for the HGV park at services and where you get welcomed at transport caffs..Love to see the vids with our without the err sound tracks😂

M11 round to the A22 I always find quite easy with exception for the slow(ish) approach to the QE bridge. I would make the decision on the day after reviewing the traffic situation, re accidents/road works.

• Like 1

Friends used the Newhaven-Dieppe crossing a few years ago (she was pregnant and BF wouldn't carry her). Their return crossing made the overnight Portsmouth-Caen crossing look blissful. 

20 hours ago, Gardian said:

Told us this afternoon that there were just 19 cars and 9 lorries on the sailing ......... so barely 50 passengers on the crossing.

They said that it was actually very nice.  Good weather, picnic lunch on the poop, nobody to disturb them !

A picture of their ‘crowded’ crossing.

70811645-68E3-4090-A402-6E6FAEB910F2.jpeg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Paully said:

Thats looks to be a serious piece of kit Jonno..Is it one of those that qualifies for the HGV park at services and where you get welcomed at transport caffs..Love to see the vids with our without the err sound tracks😂

Did 65-70 most of the way although there's a 60mph restriction on the M1 from Northampton to Milton Keynes and a 50 mph limit for most of the M23, we travelled passed Heathrow. Journey in the motor home took 5hrs 20 mins with a fuel, loo & latte stop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...