Jump to content
News threads can only be replied to, not created.

2021 Timetables


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Galicia’s timetable is completely predictable from what has already been published for the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route.  The days are not the same as BDS and the crew change port is different, but she will be undertaking two rotations per week to Spain.  That’s what BDS did too - one out, one in.  Last year’s UK to Spain sailings were undertaken be CF, PA and BDS.  Next years’ will be undertaken by PA, CF and Galicia.  If that does not equate to Galicia is replacing BDS in the Spanish fleet then I’m not sure what does!

 

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Quote from BF https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-confirms-passenger-and-freight-numbers-and-a-new-ship-charter/

the company has confirmed investment in a second vessel. To be chartered from Stena Line following its construction in China, she will further increase capacity on Spanish routes when delivered ahead of the 2021 season.
The charter will come with more on-board accommodation and a large garage for passenger and freight vehicles. She will replace Baie de Seine and Brittany Ferries will have the option to purchase after the expiry of the initial five year charter.
 

You've both missed the point.

Galicia replaces BDS as a fleet member nothing more. I've never disagreed with that.

When BF said Galicia was replacing BDS everyone simply assumed and many swore blind that she'd be sailing to Santander, Bilbao and Le Havre, just as BDS did, she isn't... read my post, all I've concluded is that the E-flexer isn't a like for like replacement as she can't physically fulfil the same timetable so another vessel will.

Galicia offers something else, she creates a new sailing as well as added value to Spanish resort. CF can still maintain BDS' timetable which is very popular, BDS's overnight sailing from Le Havre was always busy too.

Bilbao is also a different product to Santander, the sailings are far less desirable than those along the coast. It's not a destination sailing and isn't a resort, There's nothing there apart from dusty roads, HGV's and wind turbines.

Pont Aven, Plymouth - Roscoff - Cork - Santander.

Galicia, Portsmouth - Cherbourg - Santander.

Cap Finistere, Portsmouth - Le Havre - Bilbao.

Pelican, Poole - Bilbao.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

The most sensible and logical option for the CI is to join the EU in their own right, France is a far more logical place for them to belong too anyway. Rhys

Yeah, the French BFenthusiasts website has been on strike from about 5 minutes before it went live. And that was 15 years ago. Ed. 

Posted Images

Agree with all of that Jonno, apart from CF to Le Havre.  I think they’ll continue to want 3 rotations to Spain out of her - as David said a couple of days ago, the whole raison d’etre of the Flexers is because BF wants to expand Spanish services, not cut them back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Agree with all of that Jonno, apart from CF to Le Havre.  I think they’ll continue to want 3 rotations to Spain out of her - as David said a couple of days ago, the whole raison d’etre of the Flexers is because BF wants to expand Spanish services, not cut them back.

Only 2 more sleeps before we find out, there is also the 2nd new ship in the mix which may or may not be the Cotentin. Does anyone know how long the extended Pelican charter is ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like next summers timetable for Plymouth-Roscoff with Pont Aven doing 2 trips each week, Armorique doing Roscoff-Cork instead!  Hope the arrangement is successful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I do like next summers timetable for Plymouth-Roscoff with Pont Aven doing 2 trips each week, Armorique doing Roscoff-Cork instead!  Hope the arrangement is successful.

So do I, especially the 1315 departure from Plymouth to Roscoff on Fridays. I won't have to pay for an overnight cabin.😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Agree with all of that Jonno, apart from CF to Le Havre.  I think they’ll continue to want 3 rotations to Spain out of her - as David said a couple of days ago, the whole raison d’etre of the Flexers is because BF wants to expand Spanish services, not cut them back.

A further suggestion: whilst Cap Finistere visits Le Havre, Etretat could run to Spain.

i.e.

Cap Finistere departs Portsmouth for Bilbao on Wednesdays and Saturdays and leaves Bilbao for Portsmouth on Thursdays and Sundays. Operates Monday overnight to Le Havre and Tuesday overnight back to Portsmouth.

Etretat departs Portsmouth for Bilbao on Mondays and leaves for Bilbao for Portsmouth on Tuesdays then serves Le Havre for the rest of the week.

You'd have 3 sailings a week to Spain plus 5 sailings a week to Le Havre. 

Although, reading back through the thread, it does appear that Le Havre remains undecided. Maybe Etretat could be added in later should demand be there for it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it curious that Etretat remains in Le Havre and is not recalled to duty.  The other Vissentinis are deemed appropriate to operate.  So I get the impression BF does not like her much.  Will be interesting to see how, if at all, she features in the 2021 schedules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I find it curious that Etretat remains in Le Havre and is not recalled to duty.  The other Vissentinis are deemed appropriate to operate.  So I get the impression BF does not like her much.  Will be interesting to see how, if at all, she features in the 2021 schedules.

Etretat is full of flaws. Unreliable. Besides, it's curious that Etretat is docked right now when he could have sailed instead of Connemara.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I find it curious that Etretat remains in Le Havre and is not recalled to duty.

I guess that it depends on costs. The Kerry has a cheap crew on contract, the Etretat never restarted after winter maintenance so maybe Connemara was more convenient.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

I'm sure people on here have said Connemara is in better condition? Maybe I'm wrong, no experience of either. 

I have only been on the Etretat, will go on Commemara next month. I believe that they are pretty similar, Connemara has a few more cabins and an escalator. Etretat has codes on the cabins, Connemara has keys. However plan and steep ramp is very similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Agree with all of that Jonno, apart from CF to Le Havre.  I think they’ll continue to want 3 rotations to Spain out of her - as David said a couple of days ago, the whole raison d’etre of the Flexers is because BF wants to expand Spanish services, not cut them back.

I think they do too and still maintain Le Havre although I'm not so sure that running a ship to Santander at the same time CF runs to Bilbao is too much of a bad thing. We already see both Barfleur and say Normandie sailing to ports owned and run by the same authority in the same region at the same time. We see similar of a night with the sailing to Le Havre. Consider that Cherbourg is 2hrs from Ouistreham which is 2hrs from Le Havre.

Consider this too, Galicia sailing to Spain around the same time as CF runs to Bilbao will still see less pax at Portsmouth than a single sailing offered by Pont Aven... and Galicia alone fulfils BF's expansion promise for Spain, she'll carry nearly twice the passengers and nearly twice the HGV's as BDS.

What's interesting me is that all the ideas offered on here seem viable

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I have only been on the Etretat, will go on Commemara next month. I believe that they are pretty similar, Connemara has a few more cabins and an escalator. Etretat has codes on the cabins, Connemara has keys. However plan and steep ramp is very similar.

A well kept Kerry would be the better option if BF were to keep a Visentini for Le Havre. The different (older) design is said to be more stable which considering the angle Epsilon famously heeled to is amazing and she has two classes of cabin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jonno said:

A well kept Kerry would be the better option if BF were to keep a Visentini for Le Havre. The different (older) design is said to be more stable which considering the angle Epsilon famously heeled to is amazing and she has two classes of cabin.

And the Kerry has a recent ships guide !

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonno said:

A well kept Kerry would be the better option if BF were to keep a Visentini for Le Havre. The different (older) design is said to be more stable which considering the angle Epsilon famously heeled to is amazing and she has two classes of cabin.

I'd be interested in that - I've spoken to a couple of masters of the later Visentinis with the updated bow designs who have been very enthusiastic in ttheir praise for the seakeeping qualities, whereas the earlier series were supposedly a little tender.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In today's update, the CEO (or El Capo perhaps, as we are not allowed to use certain other expressions) confirmed the imminent arrival of the timetables for Spain and the missing French routes. He said again that those who weren't able to travel this year and were willing to accept credit notes would get priority but did not make clear how this would happen. 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/ceo-message

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

In today's update, the CEO (or El Capo perhaps, as we are not allowed to use certain other expressions) confirmed the imminent arrival of the timetables for Spain and the missing French routes. He said again that those who weren't able to travel this year and were willing to accept credit notes would get priority but did not make clear how this would happen. 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/ceo-message

Ed

He said that last week, one of us said it was probably hot air & the other was convinced that the IT department would work miracles to deliver.

 I suspect that it is hot air again, however maybe they do prioritise who gets the email saying that the bookings opened a few hours ago. 

Based on last weeks timings it will be 08:00 UK time tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, David Williams said:

He said that last week, one of us said it was probably hot air & the other was convinced that the IT department would work miracles to deliver.

 I suspect that it is hot air again, however maybe they do prioritise who gets the email saying that the bookings opened a few hours ago. 

Based on last weeks timings it will be 08:00 UK time tomorrow.

Well, I live in hope. I do have two credit notes (admittedly for only £25 each which may be a record for the lowest possible value available) so am waiting the call to tell me I'm 'the chosen one'. Ed. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well, I live in hope. I do have two credit notes (admittedly for only £25 each which may be a record for the lowest possible value available) so am waiting the call to tell me I'm 'the chosen one'. Ed. 

Well I will be logging in early so that I can replace the Spanish trip I cancelled this year

Edited by David Williams
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is going to be like a lottery tomorrow,nobody knows what the timetables or ferries are going to be involved.a complete shambles.yet what do you expect off brittany ferries?stay safe

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nodwad said:

I think it is going to be like a lottery tomorrow,nobody knows what the timetables or ferries are going to be involved.a complete shambles.yet what do you expect off brittany ferries?stay safe

I think that members of this forum have a better idea than most due to the work of our fellow members and the IT system seems to be stable this year. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2020 at 09:59, Gareth said:

A summary of what I am expecting the Spanish schedules to look like:

From the UK

Monday  1700  CF (from Portsmouth)

Tuesday  0900  GA (from Portsmouth)

Weds      1615  PA  (from Plymouth)

                2300  CF  (from Portsmouth, 2 nights)

Friday      0900  GA  (from Portsmouth)

Sat           1200  CF  (from Portsmouth)

Sun          1700  PA  (from Plymouth) (Approximate time - could be any time from 1615)

 

From Spain

Monday    ????  PA  (to Plymouth) (Could be any time between 1615 and 2200)

Tues          2030  CF  (to Portsmouth)

Weds        1700  GA  (to Portsmouth)

Thurs        1545  PA  (to Plymouth)

Friday       1030  CF  (to Portsmouth)

Sat            1700  GA  (to Portsmouth)

Sunday     1530  CF  (to Portsmouth)

 

What the Spanish ports will be is somewhat guesswork, but expect PA to sail exclusively to Santander.  Maybe GA will also go to Santander and CF to Bilbao?

The above timings are based on logical deduction (from what has already been published for Portsmouth-Cherbourg and Plymouth-Roscoff for GA and PA).  And CF is postulated from those on the basis of “filling the gaps”.  So CF is speculation,  whereas PA and GA must be something close to the above.  GA timings could be give or take an hour.

Well, they’re out.  And this was broadly right, within the odd half hour, except that Gaicia’s second departure of the week is Thursdays at 2215 (for 2 nights) rather than 0900 on Friday mornings.  (The Saturday return is therefore a couple of hours earlier, at 1500 rather than 1700).  Otherwise the timetables are as expected.  (GA exclusively to Santander and CF exclusively to Bilbao).

St Malo is Bretagne’s normal routine. And nothing to Le Havre next year.  Whether that route has (as some of us speculated) now gone, or whether there is a further delay, remains to be seem.

The updated timetables are yet to appear on the freight website, so cannot see yet what the plans for Poole-Bilbao are.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One slight surprise is that it looks like Kerry’s Rosslare - Bilbao schdules are being taken over by Etretat (rather than Connemara).  So, currently, neither Kerry nor Connemara appear to be in the schedules for next year.  (See the Irish website).

Rosslare - Roscoff schedules do not seem to have been released yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(And neither have the Roscoff - Bilbao sailings on the French website).  We know these must be happening, so it may be premature to infer anything from the absence of Rosslare - Roscoff or Portsmouth - Le Havre sailings.  Or, indeed, the absence of NEX from the schedules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Andy pinned this topic
  • Andy unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...