News threads can only be replied to, not created.

2021 Timetables

35 minutes ago, David Williams said:

So the only question left is Le Havre and what ship, if any, we see on it.

Assuming that NEX has gone maybe they will continue the Le Havre, Cherbourg split route which would be ok for the Cotentin

Looks to me like Le Havre, NEX and Connemara (as well as Kerry) are all gone.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

The most sensible and logical option for the CI is to join the EU in their own right, France is a far more logical place for them to belong too anyway. Rhys

Yeah, the French BFenthusiasts website has been on strike from about 5 minutes before it went live. And that was 15 years ago. Ed. 

Posted Images

Just now, The Ferry Man said:

Shame. I liked Le Havre and NEx was good for a daytrip to Cherbourg.

Wonder whether we might see an expanded fast-ferry service from Condor, possibly involving Cherbourg, with NEX added to the fleet?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Well, they’re out.  And this was broadly right

Well done Gareth. I mean your suggestion had more footing anyway. But it is important to note that when Salamanca arrives, these timings will change again. 

I like how next year the Spanish timetable has one ship dedicated to one route, it is definitely tidier! And there is a daily sailing (in the sense that there is an arrival/departure into/from Spain on every day of the week).

If the Le Havre service has been dispensed with, it hints that Cap Finistere may be replacing Etretat at Rosslare when Salamanca arrives. Santona's role is more unknown, unless her purpose is to add further sailings between Portsmouth and Spain. 

Pont-Aven's timings have been slowed down slightly during the summer, and it is interesting that she'll be doing Galicia's exact timings over the winter. Probably good for fuel economy. But also of course could be that Galicia could enter service earlier and Pont-Aven is merely a placeholder

Finally, Rosslare-Cherbourg is interesting, BF are certainly playing musical chairs a little bit. Let's hope this stays and is successful. I mean if Cap Finistere transferred across in a couple of years, it would be a more attractive option than Stena Horizon!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, georgem7 said:

when Salamanca arrives, these timings will change again. 

Indeed.  I've been pondering that one.  Now we know that the 28 hour figure we've been using as the estimated passage time is in the right ballpark, we have something to work with.  The conundrum in replacing CF with Salamanca is the possible reduction in sailings from Portsmouth from 5 to 4 sailings to Spain per week, which is what would happen if Salamanca had the same pattern of operation as Galicia will have in 2021.

However, one possibility could be that they ditch the Portsmouth-Cherbourg rotation and tried to get 2.5 rotations per week out of each ship (thus preserving 5 weekly rotations in total).  This would introduce a novel concept into BF thinking though (the notion of ships swapping schedules each week) and I'm not sure how that would work with weekly crew changes.  (I presume crew changes would still happen at a weekly stopover in Cherbourg on a 2-night voyage).

Anyway, we've got a whole year to ponder that one!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Grego said:

Did I get the impression Galicia is a new ship?

If not why is it doing the Spain route bearing in mind the sailing duration is 30+ hours now rather than the 24 hours on CF?

Yes & because it is cheaper to go slower - they also have longer to sell you things !

I am sure I once read that maritime safety regulations require voyages of longer than 24 hours to have an evacuation drill. If this is so, it would have an interesting effect on Galicia's 30 hour or so crossing. Doubtless some experienced seafarer would know if this is indeed the case

1 minute ago, AmigoCirculo said:

I am sure I once read that maritime safety regulations require voyages of longer than 24 hours to have an evacuation drill. If this is so, it would have an interesting effect on Galicia's 30 hour or so crossing. Doubtless some experienced seafarer would know if this is indeed the case

Don't recall this happening on the Pride of Bilbao's sailings, or indeed on Bretagne's Portsmouth <> Santander sailings

• Like 1

The timetables... @Gareth you're spooky mate, well done!

For me it's a shame about Le Havre, the port offered a realistic alternative to Ouistreham. With the PNA controlling three of the four Normandy ports, SOMANOR etc etc... I wonder, more to come for us to mull over there I suspect.

The switching of the Rosslare sailing to Cherbourg makes sense when tied in with the rail link although I'm surprised that Connemara doesn't feature considering her charter is/was for a fixed period and Etretat's is on a rolling 6 month basis... maybe that's her attraction? Is this switch paving the way for Santona in 2023 to serve Rosslare, Cherbourg & Bilbao?

We had a safety briefing on our Poole to Gijon crossing a few years back.  We sat in the bar watching a crew member put on a life vest while the evacuation procedure was explained over the tannoy.  Bit like the airline safety briefing on a plane.

28 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I can't see Stena Baltica in the timetables after mid December, there may be a joint BF / Stena announcement pending re the Cotentin.

She's returning, having a rebuild and replacing Barfleur. Word is that Stena are replacing her slot with a Turkish lengthened Lagan or Mersey.

• Like 1
Just now, The Ferry Man said:

It does seem a very Stena thing to do though...

True. Purely hypothetically Stena could buy the vessel, make the amendments and lease her back to BF. Might help BF's cashflow? 

• Like 2
  • Andy unpinned this topic