News threads can only be replied to, not created.

2021 Timetables

2 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Not saying it invalidates anything, just that it shouldn't be taken for granted that plans which were previously floated will happen.  There was a lot of rhetoric about GALACIA as well, but to all intents and purposes she looks to be Estrid with the colours changed and a few pictures!  The biggest appears to be a smallish extension to the existing Stena shop in the same area that was always intended for that purpose should it be required (duty free returning for example).  Oh and a bulkhead in the restaurant! 

Regarding COTENTIN if and when she does return.  Rosslare - Cherbourg anyone?  I hear the rail highway from Bayonne - Cherbourg has been given the go ahead by the government, do BF want Stena and IF to take that traffic?  One sailing a week over the summer months isn't going to build freight, and she wouldn't need any work really either running as a year-round freighter.  For Le Havre it would surely be cheaper to charter something in than go through a costly rebuild exercise.

Interesting Steve... Personally I think it's a little unfair to say Galicia is simply Estrid in a different colour. There's no car deck for starters and both decks 7 & 8 have been extended. Most of us are aware that Figura have designed the interiors of all of the E-Flexers, BF have said so themselves but I do think the added Spanish influence will give them a less clinical Scandi feel. Both ships have been configured for different markets - which in essence is what the E-Flexer is all about.

Do you not think that BF already have the traffic at Cherbourg, afterall it's their rail link and they'll have the U.K sailings all to themselves, more so when the chartered new builds begin their rotations to both Spain & Cherbourg? 

I'd also argue that if Stena don't review tonnage on the route the current capacity on their three sailings a week won't increase freight either. Are you still of the opinion that they won't ultimately use one of the extended Visentini's or the longer variant of E-Flexer in order to capitalise?

For me Rosslare are extending the berth for a reason.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

I think we all make the mistake in not appreciating the ways and means. A port may have excellent facilities but if the access and approaches are limited HGV's and holiday traffic will look elsewhere.

Yeah, the French BFenthusiasts website has been on strike from about 5 minutes before it went live. And that was 15 years ago. Ed. 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Typos are one or more letters in addition to, or less than, what was intended.

For example: "Shoplifters will be Prostituted" or "Illegally parked cars will be fine" (perfect for the French).

Typing Connemara actully involved someone engaging their brain so must be a mistake, not a typo.

Ed

It can also include where professional translators use Onion instead of Union .

Edited by David Williams
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, jonno said:

afterall it's their rail link and they'll have the U.K sailings all to themselves

But the UK operation will be more complicated as some of the lorries and trailers maybe delayed in Customs clearance, however the Irish link will be simpler.

However it is clearly important to the BF plans to expand the links with Ireland.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Interesting Steve... Personally I think it's a little unfair to say Galicia is simply Estrid in a different colour. There's no car deck for starters and both decks 7 & 8 have been extended. Most of us are aware that Figura have designed the interiors of all of the E-Flexers, BF have said so themselves but I do think the added Spanish influence will give them a less clinical Scandi feel. Both ships have been configured for different markets - which in essence is what the E-Flexer is all about.

Do you not think that BF already have the traffic at Cherbourg, afterall it's their rail link and they'll have the U.K sailings all to themselves, more so when the chartered new builds begin their rotations to both Spain & Cherbourg? 

I'd also argue that if Stena don't review tonnage on the route the current capacity on their three sailings a week won't increase freight either. Are you still of the opinion that they won't ultimately use one of the extended Visentini's or the longer variant of E-Flexer in order to capitalise?

For me Rosslare are extending the berth for a reason.

The reason for the extension is future proofing and is part of a bigger project to modernise the port.  There are other ports in Europe doing similar - it doesn't necessarily mean new tonnage is imminent, but certainly gives that option should it be required.  Stena and Irish Ferries aren't the only users of the berths at Rosslare either remember, and the port is actively looking for new business.  The extension of the superstructure on GALACIA is simply additional cabins, as is the removal of the dedicated car deck.  From the 3D virtual tour, GALACIA is very much still a Stena ship with the colours changed.  

There are no plans for Stena to use a "bigger" ship on the Rosslare run that I am aware of, though should they decide not to renew the charter of Horizon I wouldn't be surprised to see a similarly-sized vessel.  To justify a larger vessel at Cherbourg over other routes where trailers have been having to queue to get on there would need to be a surge in volumes. Arguably increased frequency may be more desirable should the need arise anyway, especially given the redundancy that would add.  Extended Lagan/Mersey will be staying together totally away from Ireland anyway I'm told, unless there is a major change in plan.  

Regarding my suggestion about BF at Cherbourg, the rail link will have significant capacity and not everything will use it in any case.  If there is an opportunity to get a share of any post-Brexit uplift in traffic and a ship available, why wouldn't Brittany Ferries take advantage with a year-round service and offer a total solution? There is little interest in hauliers for seasonal services anyway- what do they do for the rest of the year?  OBS opportunities on a standard Visentini-type vessel are also pretty limited in terms of the passenger side of the business, and freight will cover the costs (if the demand is there of course).   If the past six months have proved anything it is that companies need to diversify - particularly those more focused on tourism.  A more frequent Ireland - France could be a natural progression for Brittany Ferries given there is a market already there (assuming they have the tonnage available), unlike Ireland to Spain for which they had a standing start.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 2

You know the market a lot better, apart from the obvious attractions of W.B Yeats, is there the appetite in Ireland for greater numbers of holiday traffic or are the routes to France seen just as a direct & more convenient freight link?

1 hour ago, tarbyonline said:

though should they decide not to renew the charter of Horizon

In terms of Stena Horizon, surely the charter is simply an accountants paper exercise as Northern Marine Services Group are part of the Stena Sphere?

I think BF will eventually offer a year round service from Rosslare to Cherbourg, for me it'll be Cap Finistere or Santona plus I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dash to Portsmouth squeezed in to that too. It's why I believe Irish Ferries have made a blunder by not replacing Oscar Wilde.

Cherbourg will become to France what Portsmouth has become to the U.K. on the western channel.

...In the Jonno Sphere I predict BF will spend the €40m on Tirenia's Shardon and sail her from Rosslare to Cherbourg... honest.

Please don't be a spoil sport and explain why this is highly impractical, highly improbable and just daft. A man must have dreams!😄

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jonno said:

You know the market a lot better, apart from the obvious attractions of W.B Yeats, is there the appetite in Ireland for greater numbers of holiday traffic or are the routes to France seen just as a direct & more convenient freight link?

In terms of Stena Horizon, surely the charter is simply an accountants paper exercise as Northern Marine Services Group are part of the Stena Sphere?

I think BF will eventually offer a year round service from Rosslare to Cherbourg, for me it'll be Cap Finistere or Santona plus I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dash to Portsmouth squeezed in to that too. It's why I believe Irish Ferries have made a blunder by not replacing Oscar Wilde.

Cherbourg will become to France what Portsmouth has become to the U.K. on the western channel.

...In the Jonno Sphere I predict BF will spend the €40m on Tirenia's Shardon and sail her from Rosslare to Cherbourg... honest.

Please don't be a spoil sport and explain why this is highly impractical, highly improbable and just daft. A man must have dreams!😄

... except that Portsmouth is well placed geographically, especially compared to London (good road access), which is not the case with Cherbourg, which is far from everything.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Stena Horizon is still owned by Visentini I think.

Yes, that is what the IMO database says - they own 7 ships including the Horizon 

ps the IMO database has the Etretat as owned by BF as of March this year !

pps and that Explains why the Etretat was laid up as they were committed to paying for the other 2 !

Edited by David Williams
22 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Yes, that is what the IMO database says - they own 7 ships including the Horizon 

ps the IMO database has the Etretat as owned by BF as of March this year !

pps and that Explains why the Etretat was laid up as they were committed to paying for the other 2 !

ppps - all of the BF ships(apart from the Stena Baltica (Sonamor) , Kerry & Connemara (Stena RORO ) switched to BF ownership on the database in March 2020. 

3 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Stena Horizon is still owned by Visentini I think.

Having had a delve, you're right she's owned by Visentini Giovanni Transporti and has been since May 2011, previously she was owned by Caronte & Tourist SPA from 25th May 2006.

She is also still Italian flagged and is subject to RINA inspection.

Since 2014 her International Safety Management has flipped between Northern Marine and Stena Line Ltd, since 28/08/2018 it's been held by Stena again.

20 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Kerry & Connemara (Stena RORO ) switched to BF ownership on the database in March 2020. 

Since November 2019 Connemara has been owned by Stena Navigation Ltd - Care of Stena RoRo AB. She's French flagged but still comes under RINA for her inspections rather than Bureau Veritas.

For a short period during 2019 she was owned by XIANG CR3 HK International. 

BAI were her commercial & Ship management from 10th April 2018 but this changed to Stena RoRo AB during November 2019.

To summarise. Connemara is owned by Stena Navigation Ltd and is managed by Stena RoRo AB.

Kerry... Since 9th July 2020 her International Safety Management has been performed by Stena Marine Management APS. Stena RoRo AB are her ship and commercial managers and finally her registered owners are Stena RoRo Navigation Ltd and she's Cypriot flagged.

Equasis says the same thing about Etretat but if ownership had genuinely moved either Stena or BF or both would have put out an announcement/statement.

She's also still showing on the Stena RoRo fleet list on their website which is always very speedily updated for disposals/acquisitions.

The best assumption is that someone's updated the wrong bit of the form and amended the publicly visible ownership data when they should have just changed the management data.

Same here, Everything I've looked at says Etretat's owner is Brittany Ferries BAI SA - I probably have no greater Equasis access, my IMO access is via a protected UN link.

Have to agree with @hhvferry. Someone has cocked up... unless?

There are the strange rumours and reports that Etretat will be sailing from Rosslare and both Connemara & Kerry are returning to the Stena stable?

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

Have to agree with @hhvferry. Someone has cocked up... unless?

There are the strange rumours and reports that Etretat will be sailing from Rosslare and both Connemara & Kerry are returning to the Stena stable?

Time will tell, however it is interesting and the ownership update was in March !

15 hours ago, LHCity said:

... except that Portsmouth is well placed geographically, especially compared to London (good road access), which is not the case with Cherbourg, which is far from everything.

It's not far from Barfleur. Oh?!?! Sorry. Ed  

1 hour ago, LHCity said:

Rosslare / Le Havre 

https://www.dvz.de/rubriken/politik/detail/news/land-sucht-anbindung.html   (April 14, 2020)

Talks would also be held with other ports on the continent, including Zeebrugge and Le Havre.

AND...

image.png.bcb5f8e08d57a65fbedef0e38e9ca5c7.png

https://www.worldcargonews.com/news/news/rosslare-to-become-free-zone-for-wind-energy-64657

You can only view these if you subscribe, not a lot of good to most of us.  Talk of a link to Le Havre can mean anything, there's lots of talk of it on here but not from anyone that matters.

• Like 1