2021 Timetables

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think many of us know different people who drip feed information. The only reason I've posted about this is that it's more advanced than has been reported... it's a lot further forward than just being a rumour.

I confirm for the same reasons, via someone well placed at the port of Le Havre Authority. The only setback could come from the Covid19, which is accelerating dramatically in France.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

I think we all make the mistake in not appreciating the ways and means. A port may have excellent facilities but if the access and approaches are limited HGV's and holiday traffic will look elsewhere.

The most sensible and logical option for the CI is to join the EU in their own right, France is a far more logical place for them to belong too anyway. Rhys

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

No. It's the same individual who told me that BF were relocating to Rosslare and where to sail to Bilbao with a planned link to Cherbourg when the rumour started was that Connemara was being returned to Stena because business was poor.

I was laughed at when I posted the info about the switch so I tend to keep quiet now.

I think many of us know different people who drip feed information. The only reason I've posted about this is that it's more advanced than has been reported... it's a lot further forward than just being a rumour.

Fair enough - though to be fair I used the word "ambition" rather than "rumour", clearly people are talking about the idea of additional services from Rosslare but your information is indicating that these discussions are well progressed.

It wouldl take somebody will good liquidity in the current environment which narrows the potential number of options. 

The availability of tonnage is less of an issue than sometimes thought - just because something isn't sitting idle right now doesn't mean it isn't available.

• 4 weeks later...

Linkedin Post from Le Havre Port Authority Director :

Alors que les négociations entre l’Union européenne et le Royaume-Uni se poursuivent, avec Edouard Philippe nous avons accueilli aujourd’hui Clément Beaune, Secrétaire d’Etat chargé des affaires européennes au Ministère de l'Europe et des Affaires étrangères. L’occasion de lui présenter le dispositif #Brexit mis en place au port du Havre : adaptation des infrastructures et offre de solutions complémentaires de connexion entre la France et l’Irlande.

Dès 2018, notre priorité a été de tout mettre en place, avec nos partenaires de la place portuaire, pour que le passage de la marchandise demeure fluide notamment à l’import, en veillant à ce que les temps de contrôles soient courts pour éviter les engorgements sur le terminal. Grâce à la mobilisation de tous les acteurs, nous avons pu consolider les actions et outils développés mais aussi tester la coordination entre les différents acteurs.

Le Port du Havre est prêt à jouer son rôle pour absorber les flux.

Brittany Ferries, HAROPA - Ports, Direction générale des douanes et droits indirects (DGDDI), UMEP Fédération, Ministère de l'Agriculture et de l'Alimentation
Emmanuèle Perron, Erwann GABRIEL

#Brexit #readyforBrexit #HAROPA #PortduHavre

in english :

As negotiations between the European Union and the United Kingdom continue, with Edouard Philippe we welcomed today Clément Beaune, Secretary of State for European Affairs at the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs. The opportunity to present to him the #Brexit scheme put in place at the port of Le Havre: adaptation of infrastructure and offers complementary solutions of connection between France and Ireland.

From 2018, our priority has been to put everything in place, together with our partners in the port square, to keep the passage of goods smooth, especially at import, ensuring that the control times are short to avoid congestion on the terminal. Thanks to the mobilization of all the players, we were able to consolidate the actions and tools developed but also test the coordination between the different players.

The Port of Le Havre is ready to play its part in absorbing the flows.

Aucune description alternative pour cette image

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/le-havre-76600/brexit-le-secretaire-d-etat-charge-des-affaires-europeennes-au-port-du-havre-7059012

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, LHCity said:

The following quote from the linked article, Brits will be considered third country nationals and will be subject to composting.

Excellent, and from Jan my E111 won't get me free treatment for composting, I'll also be checking the small print on my travel insurance.

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, nodwad said:

Not trying to be negative but can you please translate for us mere mortals please.stay safe

You're not being negative at all Nodwad, in fact I think Jim did mention in the past that posting links only in French should be discontinued or discouraged as they are not particularly helpful.

I haven't time for a word for word translation but basically it's detailing the visit by Minister of state for European Affairs Clément Beaune to see how the port of Le Havre is preparing for life after Brexit for travellers leaving and entering the port. 1.5 million euros has been invested in new Customs posts  and related infrastructure, with the UK being no longer part of Europe all of us will need our passports stamped as we enter or leave a Schengen state, and a maximum stay of 90 days in 180 will apply also without needing to obtain a visa. Brits who habitually spend the winter in warmer European climes will need to watch out for this one.

In case you feared you might be turned into something to throw on the roses don't worry, composter means in this case having your passport stamped. If you think delays at border controls are a pain in the rear end now it's only going to get much worse I'm afraid. Despite all the dithering on the UK side it would appear France and it's ports are ready.

Chris

4 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

You're not being negative at all Nodwad, in fact I think Jim did mention in the past that posting links only in French should be discontinued or discouraged as they are not particularly helpful.

I haven't time for a word for word translation but basically it's detailing the visit by Minister of state for European Affairs Clément Beaune to see how the port of Le Havre is preparing for life after Brexit for travellers leaving and entering the port. 1.5 million euros has been invested in new Customs posts  and related infrastructure, with the UK being no longer part of Europe all of us will need our passports stamped as we enter or leave a Schengen state, and a maximum stay of 90 days in 180 will apply also without needing to obtain a visa. Brits who habitually spend the winter in warmer European climes will need to watch out for this one.

In case you feared you might be turned into something to throw on the roses don't worry, composter means in this case having your passport stamped. If you think delays at border controls are a pain in the rear end now it's only going to get much worse I'm afraid. Despite all the dithering on the UK side it would appear France and it's ports are ready.

Chris

Thank you,I now understand what it means and I agree about what you say about the British goverment.

Interesting that they have spent so much to deal with travellers entering and leaving the port of Le Havre...........oh hang on a minute they havent, so far, got any passenger ferries entering or leaving the port after Brexit. Suppose it must have been quite easy to sort out really.

Possibly cutting across this thread, for me, comeing from South Wales the A350 to Poole was not so much a road as a punishment.  Not done it for a few years mind.

Also if I was heading down into France Caen vs Cherbourg would be a no brainer.

totally off subject but....

One of my nightmare trips was the summer of 1990, fresh out of working the nightmare Stones tour, had to reschedule crossings for work in Brittany, finnished work 3 am  Cardiff National Stadium, had to get work for 7 then on  to Poole for lunchtime ferry. Misery of A350, arrived in time to watch ferry leave. Managed to get a place on the ferry out of Portsmouth - a comfortable 40 minutes to get there.....

Transport being a 1960 Series II land rover refreshed by the addition of a V8 out of a Rover SD1, that was some trip, oh, did I mention the 1/2 ton military trailer? Petrol was very expensive in France back then so I took about 10 jerry cans with me.  A lively trip to Portsmouth with some errr spirited driving, then try and sleep on the ferry to Caen. Arrive there about 20.00, then on to Quimperle, ham fisted navigation, got us lost in Pontivy, took the wrong turning, drove past the house we to buy in 2003, arrived at destination at 3 am. Realised we were a tent short, ended having to share a tiny tent with a new co worker (what she thought of this is best not repeated)

Got eaten by mosquitos, ended up anaemic and completly covered in bite marks.

2 weeks later back up to Cherbourg with temperatures touching the 30's. Land rover decides to throw studs off one of the front hubs so ended up robbing studs off the others to keep the wheel from getting off and walking. Threw the fan belt a couple of times for good measure. Very tight timing to make the ferry - again. Spirited driving on roads so hot the off road tyres were litterally tearing the tarmac. 

New co worker so totally unimpressed by this stage that she decided I had to get real punishment and pain, 30 years and 4 children later I am still suffering...

Rhys

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Possibly cutting across this thread, for me, comeing from South Wales the A350 to Poole was not so much a road as a punishment.  Not done it for a few years mind.

Also if I was heading down into France Caen vs Cherbourg would be a no brainer.

totally off subject but....

One of my nightmare trips was the summer of 1990, fresh out of working the nightmare Stones tour, had to reschedule crossings for work in Brittany, finnished work 3 am  Cardiff National Stadium, had to get work for 7 then on  to Poole for lunchtime ferry. Misery of A350, arrived in time to watch ferry leave. Managed to get a place on the ferry out of Portsmouth - a comfortable 40 minutes to get there.....

Transport being a 1960 Series II land rover refreshed by the addition of a V8 out of a Rover SD1, that was some trip, oh, did I mention the 1/2 ton military trailer? Petrol was very expensive in France back then so I took about 10 jerry cans with me.  A lively trip to Portsmouth with some errr spirited driving, then try and sleep on the ferry to Caen. Arrive there about 20.00, then on to Quimperle, ham fisted navigation, got us lost in Pontivy, took the wrong turning, drove past the house we to buy in 2003, arrived at destination at 3 am. Realised we were a tent short, ended having to share a tiny tent with a new co worker (what she thought of this is best not repeated)

Got eaten by mosquitos, ended up anaemic and completly covered in bite marks.

2 weeks later back up to Cherbourg with temperatures touching the 30's. Land rover decides to throw studs off one of the front hubs so ended up robbing studs off the others to keep the wheel from getting off and walking. Threw the fan belt a couple of times for good measure. Very tight timing to make the ferry - again. Spirited driving on roads so hot the off road tyres were litterally tearing the tarmac. 

New co worker so totally unimpressed by this stage that she decided I had to get real punishment and pain, 30 years and 4 children later I am still suffering...

Rhys

Class!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Paully said:

oh hang on a minute they havent, so far, got any passenger ferries entering or leaving the port after Brexit.

There were some sailings to Le Havre earlier in the year, I think Paul.  But pre-covid is so hazy it’s hard to remember for sure.

• Like 1

For information, BARFLEUR will be well assigned to Le Havre / Portsmouth at the beginning of the year, on the usual schedules of the route. He will replace Etretat who will only make a few trips. I do not yet have the exact dates of the start of his service.

The route will resume on December 31 in freight mode and should be open to passengers from March

• Like 1

Not quite sure what is happening, freight timetables are showing Etretat in Le Havre from 31/12 to 21/3 followed by Barfleur 22/3 - 3 April

https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/ferry-routes/timetables/portsmouth-le-havre

The Poole route is showing Cotentin from 2/1 to 3/4 followed by Barfleur for the rest of the season. I would guess that Cotentin then goes to Le Havre

https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/ferry-routes/timetables/poole-cherbourg -

Edited by David Williams

Unless the Cotentin remains in Poole / Cherbourg as initially planned. Finally BARFLEUR would only replace NORMANDIE in Le Havre compared to the initial plan. It all seems consistent.

13 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Unless the Cotentin remains in Poole / Cherbourg as initially planned. Finally BARFLEUR would only replace NORMANDIE in Le Havre compared to the initial plan. It all seems consistent.

The only thing consistant is that you are wrong again..As David mentioned above the Barfleur is only on Le Havre for a very short time. From the 5th April it returns full time Poole/Cherbourg, taking passenger bookings until 31st October. Normandie is remaining on the Caen run, seeing as there is no other alternative.

Le Havre will get whats left, probably the Cotentin unless the UK subsidy runs out then probably le Havre full time.........in the Dars le Ocean

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Further to above, the knock on effect is that Barfleur does not resume for passengers on the Poole route until 5th April (Easter Monday) - this will lead to some with Easter bookings getting affected.

It all does seem to make sense though David, and I'm assuming the option to book Poole - Cherbourg before the 5th was never an option so no bookings will have to be changed?

Very encouraging though that at last there appears to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.....

Fingers crossed

Chris

2 hours ago, Paully said:

The only thing consistant is that you are wrong again..As David mentioned above the Barfleur is only on Le Havre for a very short time. From the 5th April it returns full time Poole/Cherbourg, taking passenger bookings until 31st October. Normandie is remaining on the Caen run, seeing as there is no other alternative.

Le Havre will get whats left, probably the Cotentin unless the UK subsidy runs out then probably le Havre full time.........in the Dars le Ocean

The project has always been to transfer Cotentin in place of Barfleur. We are not immune to further change. BF likes to change the program along the way.

Poole/Cherbourg - Cotentin: January 1st until April 3rd

Poole/Cherbourg - Barfleur: From April 5th

Portsmouth/Le Havre - Etretat: January 31st until March 21st

Portsmouth/Le Havre - Barfleur: March 22nd until April 3rd

Portsmouth/Le Havre - Cotentin: From April 4th

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, LHCity said:

The project has always been to transfer Cotentin in place of Barfleur. We are not immune to further change. BF likes to change the program along the way.

However, Le Havre is one of France's premier freight ports and it makes sense for BF to run a freight only ferry there.

Cherboug is in a better location to support some of the other BF routes. Ouistreham is too close to Le Havre and is the major BF port.