News threads can only be replied to, not created.

2021 Timetables

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

I think we all make the mistake in not appreciating the ways and means. A port may have excellent facilities but if the access and approaches are limited HGV's and holiday traffic will look elsewhere.

Yeah, the French BFenthusiasts website has been on strike from about 5 minutes before it went live. And that was 15 years ago. Ed. 

Posted Images

6 hours ago, jonno said:

Four things for me...

Stena spent money on Cotentin improving/altering the onboard accommodation in order to allow limited passenger traffic, this remains in place.

What alterations did Stena make? Onboard photos from her time as Stena Baltica didn't seem to show any changes.

7 hours ago, colin said:

One might describe certain aspects of her as being transport cafe standard, perhaps with a whiff of routiers thrown in. The accommodation resembles some hotels I have slept in in Japan ....

Economie ---

Not Economie - Truckline!

• Like 1

Rather than upsetting the Poole brigade (our cheerleader Brigitte) maybe better to stick to the devil you know, so Barfleur plodding on between Poole and Cherbourg as advertised in the current schedule, Cocoa tin stays at Le Havre as a freighter and NEX operates an intensive summer schedule alternating between Cherbourg and Le Havre. 
Once given the green light by respective governments the route planning boffins at BF HQ Roscoff are very capable of surprising even us hard-nosed enthusiasts. And don’t forget Condor Liberation, my little left finger is twitching and telling me she could have some part to play in all this - BF didn’t invest in the CI’s for nothing....

You may of course be right Nick

Chris

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Rather than upsetting the Poole brigade (our cheerleader Brigitte) maybe better to stick to the devil you know, so Barfleur plodding on between Poole and Cherbourg as advertised in the current schedule, Cocoa tin stays at Le Havre as a freighter and NEX operates an intensive summer schedule alternating between Cherbourg and Le Havre. 
Once given the green light by respective governments the route planning boffins at BF HQ Roscoff are very capable of surprising even us hard-nosed enthusiasts. And don’t forget Condor Liberation, my little left finger is twitching and telling me she could have some part to play in all this - BF didn’t invest in the CI’s for nothing....

You may of course be right Nick

Chris

I wonder how logistically challenging a Poole - Cherbourg  - CI - Cherbourg - Poole route would be.

2 hours ago, nick hall said:

How about this

Portsmouth - Le Havre     Barfleur

Poole - Cherbourg             Cotentin, freight only

Normandie Express           Portsmouth-Cherbourg-Poole-Cherbourg-Portsmouth 

This keeps all routes open to passengers.

I always thought that Le Havre and Ouistreham could share market share even if these two route complement each other more than they compete. The addition of forces could strengthen these two lroutes, knowing that coming from the South of France the travel time is substantially equivalent. The Normandy Bridge is paying, but it is not certain that it remains so after 2025, the date of the end of the concession. For me, a two-boat operating scheme would maintain 3 departures a day from Portsmouth (1 to 2, to/from Ouistreham, 1 to 2, to/from Le Havre). This can be an opportunity to strengthen the Cherbourg/Portsmouth route as a complement. With booking tools we are able to manage these two routes in a complementary way. Depending on the schedules we are interested in would ship from Le Havre or Ouistreham. 2 boats in operation instead of 3, but capacity boats but 2 routes in service.

I think that one day this pattern will be imposed because the city and the inhabitants of Ouistreham will soon get tired of the queues of trucks and migrants more and more (I have nothing against these poor people, but it is a problem in the management of a city). Also, there is talk of substantial investments at the Le Havre terminal, it is not only to accommodate a low cost ship as we have been experiencing since DFDS / Brittany Ferries operate the route.

Supply attracts demand. A more qualitative vessel and more frequencies attract customers. Brittany Ferries is so committed to communities that it will never close a route from Normandy. We might as well exploit them and give ourselves the means to attract a new clientele even if it means questioning the habits.

I hope that my French-English translation is not incomprehensible otherwise I apologize 😉

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

We certainly get the gist of what you’re saying @LHCity, if Khaines is our Poole cheerleader you definitely wear Le Havre pom-poms, pants, socks, scarf and bobble hat ......😂

Chris

It must be well because has to listen to some it would be enough to transfer the port of Le Havre to Arromanches;-)

Rest assured, when I say that a strengthening of the Cherbourg/Portsmouth service is desirable, it is not at Poole's expense. Besides, could Barfleur make a round trip from Cherbourg/Poole day and a return trip from Night to Cherbourg/Portsmouth?

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Including my grandfather (OK, it was Ouistreham actually) and he always said the welcome was pretty nazi.

Ed

Maybe he was lucky and had Officer Crabtree directing operations at Wiss Tree ham...

Good moaning Timmy,

Which out for bum critters and brikken down tinks, the bitch is in a miss and the Jimmins have pinched all the dick chairs...

Chris

• Haha 3