2021 Timetables

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

I think we all make the mistake in not appreciating the ways and means. A port may have excellent facilities but if the access and approaches are limited HGV's and holiday traffic will look elsewhere.

Yeah, the French BFenthusiasts website has been on strike from about 5 minutes before it went live. And that was 15 years ago. Ed. 

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Yorky said:

That would suit me better than a seat on a night crossing

Reminds me of when I thought it was a great idea to buy one of those wooden futon bed settees back in the 90s.  It got donated to the Salvation Army’s furniture shop just after a week and a proper bed was bought.  

Bet the aches and pains I get in my hips and back harp back to that thing.  Or maybe just too many lockdown croissants..😂

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, wortley said:

My dad used to speak of hammocks on a troop ship. Could hammocks make a comeback? 

IMG_1162.JPG

We had a lazy holiday in Zanzibar with hammocks between the trees on the beach. Fantastic for sleeping and dozing during the day - but useless if trying to play Monopoly.

29 minutes ago, jonno said:

That's it! after the last page I need a drugs and a lie down...

Was on a bit of a downer, thanks guys it made me smile😁👍

I recommend a Ricard at this time of day (if permitted).

8 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

A source close to BF has told me this morning that Normandie Express will not be French flagged next year, that is assuming she actually returns in 2021.

Thanks Tony for posting and bringing us all back into line and on topic. I’ve no idea what to make of that although I can fully understand why they won’t bring her back until the general public feel completely at ease travelling to France on a ferry again. 

As for the flag flying at her stern, I’m assuming that paves the way for some British crew aboard and it has to be about money. But will French unions understand that?

Chris

It's the last part which got me, "Assuming she actually returns in 2021" - That says to me that she may return to service in 2021, nothing has been finalised yet. There was talk 3 or 4 years ago about Normandie Express getting the UK Registry, long before the Condor takeover was even thought about.

If Normandie Express ended up in Jersey, she would more likely receive the Bahamas flag.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
11 hours ago, David Williams said:

Maybe NEX will end up in Jersey!

That would be a logical move for an ageing vessel that will have been laid up for 18 months or so. They could transfer her to their associate Condor and flag her out to the Bahamas, exactly as their other vessels are. If the NEX is transferred on a `dry` lease then crewing and routing become the responsibility of Condor and saves BF lay up charges in Le Havre.

Another source also told me this morning that Normandie Express won't be French flagged next year due to the costs of crewing, accommodation, and the fact that commercially she has to begin her day departing the UK, southbound. Although no flag has been confirmed, she could very possibly be operated by Condor, or as in 2005 a British crew manned by Northern Marine. However, absolutely nothing has been confirmed on this yet so it may not even happen.

18 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Thanks Tony for posting and bringing us all back into line and on topic. I’ve no idea what to make of that although I can fully understand why they won’t bring her back until the general public feel completely at ease travelling to France on a ferry again. 

As for the flag flying at her stern, I’m assuming that paves the way for some British crew aboard and it has to be about money. But will French unions understand that?

Chris

I'm sure they will... Just as long as they can burn some tyres. Can't see unions being happy.

Surely implies she won't be returning to BF this year.

35 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Just as long as they can burn some tyres. Can't see unions being happy.

This will soon be a thing of the past.

I believe the lack of protests this year means demand for tyres has plummeted and as a consequence Bridgestone have announced the closure of their factory in Northern France. Once closed the supply will dry up and the unions will burn any remaining stock while fighting to keep the factory open.

Ed. 

• Haha 4
31 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

This will soon be a thing of the past.

I believe the lack of protests this year means demand for tyres has plummeted and as a consequence Bridgestone have announced the closure of their factory in Northern France. Once closed the supply will dry up and the unions will burn any remaining stock while fighting to keep the factory open.

Ed. 

When they get fed up burning tyres and dumping manure they torch government buildings. Someone needs to get tyres available on the black market.