News threads can only be replied to, not created.

2021 Timetables

We're in danger in turning a hypothetical fantasy into something supposedly real.

Condor don't own NEX and BAI don't have a controlling interest in Condor.

For me if Condor do charter or purchase NEx I'd expect the older reduced capacity Rapide to be sold. 

Cherbourg is a big no for me too. For BAI that will like biting the hand that feeds as both SOMANOR & SOMABRET control their boardroom and have kept them in existence on more than one occasion.

Condor need to focus on replacing their conventional aging tonnage which is crying out for more passenger berths.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

I think we all make the mistake in not appreciating the ways and means. A port may have excellent facilities but if the access and approaches are limited HGV's and holiday traffic will look elsewhere.

Yeah, the French BFenthusiasts website has been on strike from about 5 minutes before it went live. And that was 15 years ago. Ed. 

Posted Images

The crewing of NEX has always seemed complete lunacy to me. When times are good and you have a captive market, you might just be able to get away with the inflated costs of paying French wages and social employment costs, plus the accommodation costs for staying overnight in Portsmouth. Now that times are not so good, I don’t think even the French unions could force BF to lose money in this way.

Remember also that post-Brexit, it will be even more useful for BF to manage its currency risk so that income in one currency more closely equals expenditure in that currency.

What do the CI inhabitants actually want from a ferry service? If they're looking to promote holiday or a short break market then conventional passenger ferries are not the answer. There is a huge potential market for 48 or 72 hour and day trips. None of this potential lends itself to travel by a conventional ferry service. A lot of business was lost when the two HSC's were replaced with one. A second HSC is needed.

• Like 1

I would have thought that the most obvious option for tourists visiting th CI would be by plane. You hardly need to take a car with you and ferry travel time is much greater than the flight and potentially uncomfortable too.It's a bit of a no brainer for the average person really.

42 minutes ago, Rattler43 said:

What do the CI inhabitants actually want from a ferry service? If they're looking to promote holiday or a short break market then conventional passenger ferries are not the answer. There is a huge potential market for 48 or 72 hour and day trips. None of this potential lends itself to travel by a conventional ferry service. A lot of business was lost when the two HSC's were replaced with one. A second HSC is needed.

Unless the conventional ferries sail overnight...

They're useful for carrying freight, I suspect this is the main money maker for Commodore Clipper, with the passengers the icing on the cake.

7 hours ago, David Williams said:

Not sure about that, more logical is for England to have Normandy back.

We already control half the wine stocks in La Manche and can hold the entire region hostage if they refuse to cooperate. 

Plus the Queen has the title of Duke of Normandy so we are well on our way to reclaiming the region. 

Ed

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

We already control half the wine stocks in La Manche and can hold the entire region hostage if they refuse to cooperate. 

Plus the Queen has the title of Duke of Normandy so we are well on our way to reclaiming the region. 

Ed

We are going to need the farters and the bummers again then feeting the Froonch??

Edited by Paully
9 hours ago, David Williams said:

Not sure about that, more logical is for England to have Normandy back.

Surely you mean 'for Normandy to have England back'? - (note to self - this could get a little complicated, historically, if allowed to run. Let's just say the comment is based purely on the events on Senlac Ridge a thousand years ago).😉

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

Surely you mean 'for Normandy to have England back'? - (note to self - this could get a little complicated, historically, if allowed to run. Let's just say the comment is based purely on the events on Senlac Ridge a thousand years ago).😉

Shhhs! Don't tell them that! 

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
8 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

No, as Ed said the Queen is the Duke of Normandy. When William the Conqueror became King of England after solving a dispute with a fellow viking, the lands of Normandy became owned by the English Crown. The Channel Islands historically are linked to that ownership.

Note that William’s fleet was assembled in the mouth of the river Dives, probably in the same position that my flat currently is.

On 25/11/2020 at 20:55, Fine Whine said:

Thanks Tony for posting and bringing us all back into line and on topic. I’ve no idea what to make of that although I can fully understand why they won’t bring her back until the general public feel completely at ease travelling to France on a ferry again. 

As for the flag flying at her stern, I’m assuming that paves the way for some British crew aboard and it has to be about money. But will French unions understand that?

Chris

If she wasn't flying a French flag I am sure that the Roscoff fishermen would blockade the port so I would not be able to take this photo again!

NEX at Roscoff 2.JPG

Edited by colinschandler
6 hours ago, David Williams said:

No, as Ed said the Queen is the Duke of Normandy. When William the Conqueror became King of England after solving a dispute with a fellow viking, the lands of Normandy became owned by the English Crown. The Channel Islands historically are linked to that ownership.

Note that William’s fleet was assembled in the mouth of the river Dives, probably in the same position that my flat currently is.

Thanks David. But you don't have to tell an Alderney man that. I have drunk enough loyal toasts to 'Our Queen, the Duke of Normandy' in my time. . .

• Like 1