News threads can only be replied to, not created.

2021 Timetables

Usually a bit busy in Portsmouth before 9am, maybe this is one reason for the delay to a French schedule. I will have a fast decision to make next Wednesday for my Spanish trip next year between the PA from Plymouth and Galicia, one criteria is an early afternoon arrival in Santander.

Edited by David Williams
  • Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One season the port of Arromanches did have 2.5 million passengers and 500,000 vehicles.

The most sensible and logical option for the CI is to join the EU in their own right, France is a far more logical place for them to belong too anyway. Rhys

Yeah, the French BFenthusiasts website has been on strike from about 5 minutes before it went live. And that was 15 years ago. Ed. 

Posted Images

Based on Galicia being in Spain on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and Pont Aven being in Spain on Mondays and Thursdays, I agree that there is likely to be a tweak to CF’s sailing pattern.

I predict the Roscoff crew change call will move to Thursday, when there is no morning arrival in Roscoff from Plymouth. This would involve CF operating ex-Portsmouth on Mon, Weds (2-nighter via Roscoff) and Sat and being in Spain on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

That would provide for a departure from Spain to England every day of the week.  But I might be wrong.

I have mentioned this before,how can people book a crossing before they even come out?for a few years now I have spoken with people who say they do itthis cannot be right or is it? Ie people in the know and friends in the know.stay safe

2 hours ago, nodwad said:

I have mentioned this before,how can people book a crossing before they even come out?for a few years now I have spoken with people who say they do itthis cannot be right or is it? Ie people in the know and friends in the know.stay safe

Not sure if this still applies but this is from James ( a BFE Member) 

John, the summer chedules are usually published around mid-October, although some years that have been a bit later or earlier.

As you are wanting a crossing on one of the busiest days of the summer, it might be worth "pre-registering" your booking. If you phone BF reservations, they will allow you to pre-register your preferred booking and they will then send you a confirmation once the schedules have been confirmed. We used to do this on a regular basis as it was the only way to get a Commodore Cabin on some crossings !

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Based on Galicia being in Spain on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and Pont Aven being in Spain on Mondays and Thursdays, I agree that there is likely to be a tweak to CF’s sailing pattern.

I predict the Roscoff crew change call will move to Thursday, when there is no morning arrival in Roscoff from Plymouth. This would involve CF operating ex-Portsmouth on Mon, Weds (2-nighter via Roscoff) and Sat and being in Spain on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

That would provide for a departure from Spain to England every day of the week.  But I might be wrong.

I was thinking about the CF scenario you describe in the shower yesterday. How minds think alike on this website! It makes sense, but at the same time, it would only be for a year before Salamanca arrives (which like Galicia will only be able to do two sailings) so is it worth changing the days only to change the timetable again the following year? The greater capacity of Galicia should offset the need for CF's third sailing. I don't know, we'll see who is right next Wednesday! 

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Best place to look at them is on the freight website.  That’s where you can see them properly.

Let's hope the freight website isn't upgraded soon! 

27 minutes ago, georgem7 said:

I was thinking about the CF scenario you describe in the shower yesterday. How minds think alike on this website! It makes sense, but at the same time, it would only be for a year before Salamanca arrives (which like Galicia will only be able to do two sailings) so is it worth changing the days only to change the timetable again the following year? The greater capacity of Galicia should offset the need for CF's third sailing. I don't know, we'll see who is right next Wednesday! 

Let's hope the freight website isn't upgraded soon! 

Looking at the link to the freight website it is only showing sailings up to end October.

16 hours ago, ollie@portsmouth said:

Regarding Plymouth to Roscoff winter closure they state in Twitter ", we are in extraordinary times and unfortunately, we are not currently in a position to operate services that normally run at a financial loss".

Very sad if Ply-Ros becomes properly seasonal. 

Disappointing for Plymouth, but offset to some extent by the expected increase in seasonal sailings to Santander.

10 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

All our sailings are to Spain either Plymouth or Portsmouth so unless we took the 2nighter that’s not good for us.

Oh sorry! The discussion regarding freight timetables was regarding the easier nature of viewing what was released on Wednesday - the same style as the old website. The Spanish timetables won't be available on any version of the website until next Wednesday. 

Edited by georgem7
  • Like 1

I think we're reading far too much in BF's decision to release the timetables at different periods.

What do we know so far?

BF now have two Irish ports serving Roscoff. BF have created a weekly sailing to Cherbourg from Portsmouth.

When sailing to Spain the grapevine seems to positively indicate that Galicia will sail from Portsmouth to Santander only. This leaves Cap Finistere to serve Zierbena, her service speed indicates that she can do this 3 times a week leaving the UK on a Friday, Sunday & Tuesday and still visit Le Havre for a crew change on a Thursday evening returning early Friday morning ready for a 1300 departure to Spain. A 2.5 hour turnaround for CF is very realistic.

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

This leaves Cap Finistere to serve Zierbena, her service speed indicates that she can do this 3 times a week leaving the UK on a Friday, Sunday & Tuesday and still visit Le Havre for a crew change on a Thursday evening returning early Friday morning ready for a 1300 departure to Spain. A 2.5 hour turnaround for CF is very realistic.

I think that is so unlikely as to be inconceivable Jonno.  If that was her schedule then every single one of her departures would duplicate either a PA or a Galicia departure.  She will sail in the intervening days, not on the same ones.

• Confused 1
22 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think we're reading far too much in BF's decision to release the timetables at different periods.

Agreed, part of the official reason was to stop the website going into meltdown (they succeeded with that) and minimize issues with the call centre( they would have had to leave it at least another month for that).

Got a row for booking Normandie for next August’s sailing home “why did you book an old ferry?” What are the chances of a replacement turning up by then ? I think she thinks we’re sailing on Pont Aven again to StMalo in a few weeks time I better not spoil the surprise.

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, Gareth said:

Galicia’s Spanish schedule is clearly going to be something like:

dep Portsmouth 0900 on Tuesdays and Fridays

arr Santander 1400 on Wednesdays and Saturdays

dep Santander 1700 on Wednesdays and Saturdays

arr Portsmouth 2000 on Thursdays and Sundays

This is what will fit around the published Cherbourg timetable exactly, and they are going to clearly allow 28 hours for her passages to and from Spain.  (As widely expected).

These timings would be very good for passengers and do include space to make up delays

• Like 1

A summary of what I am expecting the Spanish schedules to look like:

From the UK

Monday  1700  CF (from Portsmouth)

Tuesday  0900  GA (from Portsmouth)

Weds      1615  PA  (from Plymouth)

2300  CF  (from Portsmouth, 2 nights)

Friday      0900  GA  (from Portsmouth)

Sat           1200  CF  (from Portsmouth)

Sun          1700  PA  (from Plymouth) (Approximate time - could be any time from 1615)

From Spain

Monday    ????  PA  (to Plymouth) (Could be any time between 1615 and 2200)

Tues          2030  CF  (to Portsmouth)

Weds        1700  GA  (to Portsmouth)

Thurs        1545  PA  (to Plymouth)

Friday       1030  CF  (to Portsmouth)

Sat            1700  GA  (to Portsmouth)

Sunday     1530  CF  (to Portsmouth)

What the Spanish ports will be is somewhat guesswork, but expect PA to sail exclusively to Santander.  Maybe GA will also go to Santander and CF to Bilbao?

The above timings are based on logical deduction (from what has already been published for Portsmouth-Cherbourg and Plymouth-Roscoff for GA and PA).  And CF is postulated from those on the basis of “filling the gaps”.  So CF is speculation,  whereas PA and GA must be something close to the above.  GA timings could be give or take an hour.

• Like 4

On the other hand - if they consider that the increase in capacity resulting from the replacement of BDS by Galicia means that they only need 2 Spanish rotations out of CF (unlikely given how sold out Spain usually is) - then I wonder if they might be considering a couple of rotations to St Malo with CF?  That would explain the delayed release of the St Malo schedules, especially if they are undecided.

• TongueOut 1
  • Andy pinned this topic
  • Andy unpinned this topic