Hi All

I'm a newbie on this forum, so please excuse me if this question has already been asked or answered in the past.

As an avid builder of radio-controlled model ships, I'm considering the possibility of building a working model of Bretagne, Normandie or possibly Barfleur. To do so, I would need as very minimum, some General Arrangement drawings (detailed plans) of the ships. Does anybody here know of someone who has built models of any BF ships, who has such drawings or even know contacts at BF I could speak to to request drawings?

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Jean-Paul from London

PS: Below is a YouTube video of my latest model, to give you an idea of the sort of thing I do: 

• Like 5

Is that one of Carl Tunnicliffe's Linkspan Model Kits?

I did see the model below of Bretagne back in 2007 at the Warwick Model Boat Show but it isn't a true scale model.

It is actually very difficult to get hold of accurate drawngs of modern vessels for reasons of commercial confidentiality and probably also because they are no longer 'drawings' as such but CAD files.

DSCN1382.JPG

DSCN1383.JPG

Just now, cvabishop said:

I did see the model below of Bretagne back in 2007 at the Warwick Model Boat Show but it isn't a true scale model.

It is actually very difficult to get hold of accurate drawngs of modern vessels for reasons of commercial confidentiality and probably also because they are no longer 'drawings' as such but CAD files.

FN, really nice model you built there.

Aside from commercial confidentiality, as mentioned by Cvabishop, copies of ship drawings, plans etc to third parties could be seen as a security risk.

It could still be worth a try though. You might want to stress that you only want exterior plans!

10 hours ago, cvabishop said:

DSCN1383.JPG

Yes cvabishop, my "Free Enterprise V" is one of Carl Tunnicliffe's "Linkspan Models" kits with a few modifications such as working bow door & stern ramp, rotating radar scanners and LED lighting throughout.

I've seen those videos of the Bretagne (above) before, but as you say, it's not a true scale model. I like to build  exactly to scale where possible.

It had occurred to me that getting drawings could be difficult these days for security reasons - how to convince them I'm not a terrorist, eh! 🙂

12 hours ago, nick hall said:

Welcome FN.

Sorry I can't help with the drawings, but that model is simply outstanding. Would love to see any more you may have done.

Thanks for the compliment Nick. Here are the first two I ever built, when I was about 16... After a break of nearly 30 years, I've gotten back into the hobby as I have more time for it.

I would dearly love to build an all-singing, all-dancing model Normandie at 1/100 scale. Fingers crossed...

3.thumb.jpg.a5cc099b741ff4375df1935722e1daf7.jpg

603.thumb.JPG.09dd2d6a54c658615604d0cd2c556c8c.JPG

• Like 1

It's a lovely model with that unusual colour scheme and you have certainly done it justice, especially with the working features.

I have met Carl a number of times since he and his wife started Linkspan Models and it has been interesting to hear his approach to manufacturing techniques. As you probably know he is an Architect in his day job so he likes things to be completely accurate and brings his architectural training to the design and manufacturing process. When we last spoke he was telling me about his new very expensive 3D printer which was being used for many kit components and showed me some superstructure sections for his latest project which were really impressive and lightweight.

Colin

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

It's a lovely model with that unusual colour scheme and you have certainly done it justice, especially with the working features.

I have met Carl a number of times since he and his wife started Linkspan Models and it has been interesting to hear his approach to manufacturing techniques. As you probably know he is an Architect in his day job so he likes things to be completely accurate and brings his architectural training to the design and manufacturing process. When we last spoke he was telling me about his new very expensive 3D printer which was being used for many kit components and showed me some superstructure sections for his latest project which were really impressive and lightweight.

Colin

Thanks Colin, yes it is an unusual colour scheme, very much of its day (I'm told that the company founder Stuart Townsend was inspired by the colour of the Cunard liner Caronia.

I know Carl well. I'm looking forward to building his next kit of the Sprit of Free Enterprise. I'm collaborating with him on a model/kit of the early Townsend Thoresen ferry Viking I. Carl's architect background does make for superbly detailed models.

I found some GA drawings of the Normandie online, here: http://www.hhvferry.com/normandie_orig_ga_dpx.html

Sadly though, these are of too low resolution, so good enough to print on A4, but much too fuzzy and grainy for me to take accurate scale measurements.

Apologies for going slightly off piste but it has a bearing on information for model making. I am currently building a 1:150 scale model of ss Miltiades of 1903 using a 1:1200 waterline plan, photos of the ship's original plans held by the National Maritime Museum and a lot of photos I took of the builder's model while it was still on display in the London Science Museum. It's a big jigsaw puzzle putting everything together but I'm getting there slowly.

SP1.jpg

SP2.JPG

SP3.JPG

SP4.JPG

SP5.JPG

• Like 1