New COVID-19 spike in Finistere

A newspaper article today confirmed a rumour of a spike in Covid-19 infection in Finistere. BF hadn't heard anything yesterday and nothing on the French Government website. If anyone is over there now or knows more please could you let me know what new measures are in place. The newspaper mentioned compulsory face masks in open markets. BF said as far as they were concerned their Plymouth-Roscoff service was unaffected. 

Thé R rate has risen in Brittany and various clusters identified. Finisterre hotspot is a care home. Masks compulsory in all closed public spaces and where social distancing is hard, like markets. Otherwise no special measures. Those who dreamed this would just go away are eating their words. If everyone takes care then we can keep a lid on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those who dreamed this would just go away are eating their words. If everyone takes care then we can keep a lid on it.

Quite agree, but so many younger people simply don't seem to give a toss. They are just spreading the virus willy nilly, both in the UK and elsewhere.

It's a lot of concern for us older folk. and likely to make for a very difficult Autumn and Winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input. Self-isolation won't be difficult when we're over there in a couple of weeks. Just wondered if full lockdown had been re-imposed but from what you've said and what I've read it's just the expected recommendation on wearing masks. 

23 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Quite agree, but so many younger people simply don't seem to give a toss. They are just spreading the virus willy nilly, both in the UK and elsewhere.

It's a lot of concern for us older folk. and likely to make for a very difficult Autumn and Winter.

Looking at the campsites social media feeds it seems to not just be the young folk.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, colin said:

Those who dreamed this would just go away are eating their words. If everyone takes care then we can keep a lid on it.

Well yes. But even I am getting just a tad tired of taking care. I am not going to France this year, or perhaps ever again. Indeed I think my days of travelling say to London to see a show (in the 10% of the venues that will survive the complete lack of the tourist trade) are probably over. But the live entertainment business is, I fear, finished anyway. 

Fine I can go a for a walk. I live in a nice place. I can drive to other nice places. Happily I don't need to leave home to work.

But if taking care means turning those considered vulnerable into prisoners of their own four walls?

On Thursday we will be allowed to see my father for the first time in four months - he will be in the lounge with the door open we will be outside 2 metres (or to quote 90% of the posters round here meters) talking through the gap for half an hour. He is 90. What did he ask me the other day? How long do you think it will be before I am allowed out again? Maybe the Leader of the Conservative Party could tell him. I can't. And I am not being political its he who has the responsibility. 

Life has to be worth living. Surely?

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

It's not your Dad Millsy, it is the  more mobile members of the population that need to exercise caution as it is them who are spreading this thing by acting irresponsibly. Your Dad is a victim of their thoughtlessness  to put it charitably.

No he is not Colin. He is a victim of the policies of an elected government. A policy which has been backed by the law and which is in place still until July 31st at least. Due to complaints when I have commented on the rather flexible way these 'guidelines' have been observed by some responsible for these policies and their family and friends which has lead in no small part to the present mallaise I will say nothing.  

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 4

Good post Millsy. Chin up. Maybe you take control back with your Dad.

When it all kicked off I listened to the science, then watched the slogans, then was aghast at the politics. I worried about my age, my wife and my kids and their families. Then our leaders gave us dates  for this opening and dates for that starting again. Almost as if they knew what they were talking about. I'm reminded of what Stephen Fry said. Listen to the scientists and experts. They say "maybe" "just don't know" etc.

Then more promises and plans of everything better by years end. Oh, and Brexit is coming along nicely. Snake oil salesman springs to mind.
I have no idea what I'm allowed to do or on what days. My wife and I wear our masks, have become fans of online food shopping and have a plan that we control.
How can I take seriously anyone who thinks its ok for his staff to drive around just to test their eyes work ok on public roads or is unable to string a sentence together.

Stu

• Like 1

Sister and Brother-in-law have just landed in Roscoff and Son is off to Caen on Tuesday. I await reports in due course.

IMHO the whole COVID thing is now tailing slowly off: it won't disappear but will become just another low-level seasonal bug. Much has been made of the concept of a second spike once temperatures drop, but if COVID only flourishes in cold temperatures why is it doing so well in places like California and Florida? Answers on a postcard please.

Edited by veryoldbear
  • Like 1

IMHO the whole COVID thing is now tailing slowly off: it won't disappear but will become just another low-level seasonal bug.

I don't think so myself. If you catch one of the current seasonal bugs then unless you are very unlucky you will feel rough for a week or so then recover. If you Catch Covid-19 and you are elderly then instead of admiring the daisies in the spring there is a very real chance that you will be pushing them up! Remember, Covid-19 seems to be far more contagious than the flu type bugs we are used to as well as much more serious for certain age and ethnic groups.

Johnson's 'it'll all be over by Christmas' rhetoric brings a chill to my heart. It's very much what they said in July 1914 about a different threat. (and that finished with the Spanish flu). He cannot know that, he is just whistling in the dark and hoping that somehow it will happen - it might very well not and we could be continuing with social distancing and masks etc. well into next year.

• Like 4

Infection rates are are rising in many countries and regions after the first peak. Why? You know why! I would not want anyone to feel over restricted in what they can do, simply that more of us follow the sensible advice. Masks, social distancing, attention to hygiene, hand cleansing etc. The world does not need to stop, but ignorance and wilful disregard can kill a lot more people unnecessarily.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, you wouldn't expect a significant spike in such a rural area but maybe it is very localised.

If it is in a care home as said that wouldn’t surprise by their very design and running it’s one of the hardest place to prevent the virus spreading.

42 minutes ago, David Williams said:

BF claim that the rates in Finistere are still very low compared to other places like Southern UK

"According to SpF data, Finistère has the highest incidence rate in Brittany with 5.4 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, compared with 2.6 in Ille-et-Vilaine, 1.9 in Côtes-d’Armor, and 0.79 in Morbihan. That compares with a rate of 449 per 100,000 inhabitants for England as a whole and 230 and 377 for the South West and South East of England respectively."

My French holiday cottage is on the border between Cotes d'Armor and Morbihan. Good to see that a half kilometre walk will make me twice as safe. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

Much has been made of the concept of a second spike once temperatures drop, but if COVID only flourishes in cold temperatures why is it doing so well in places like California and Florida? Answers on a postcard please.

I think when scientists talk about this issue, they are not referring the virus per se but rather the behaviour of people during the winter months.

During the winter, people are much more likely to be in heated offices and homes with windows firmly closed. In these types of environments, the Sars-CoV-2 just the common flu virus, is more likely to be suspended in the air for longer helping the spread.

Maybe governments around the world should be advising people in addition to wearing face masks, washing hands etc., to live and work in areas with good fresh air flow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that in California and Florida more people are staying indoors in sealed environments with the aircon on full blast rather than spend time outside in 35deg heat (current daily temps in LA and Tampa). In very hot weather here, our nearby Sainsbury's Local is the place to be with ferocious aircon as welcome relief in a heatwave 😀

Yes, a lot of aircon systems are recirculatory with not much in the way of filtration. This has already been identified as a potential issue with asking people to return to their offices where it may not be possible to open windows to introduce outside air. A large proportion of offices in central London and Docklands would fall into this category.

Probably more hazardous than on aircraft where the air drawn from the cabin is effectively filtered but also an issue on cruise ship (and ferries?) where the aircon might potentially spread the virus. Stay in your cabin anyone?! Maybe not...

I doubt if most shipboard systems are designed to prevent the spread of pathogens. The documented cases of Covifd-19  aboard ships very much suggests they are not.

Edited by cvabishop
17 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Probably more hazardous than on aircraft where the air drawn from the cabin is effectively filtered but also an issue on cruise ship (and ferries?) where the aircon might potentially spread the virus. Stay in your cabin anyone?! Maybe not..

Some aircraft have 'operating theatre style' filters - some don't

BF claim that air is not recycled, it is drawn from outside.

Lifts are an issue in large buildings, we desperately need reliable test, track and trace as the risk is quite low

Some aircraft have 'operating theatre style' filters - some don't

Most regular airliners do it would seem:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/air-quality-during-your-flight-54164

BF claim that air is not recycled, it is drawn from outside.

Maybe, but is it then circulated from cabin to cabin? And how is it extracted? It all seems a bit vague. A bit more technical detail would be reassuring.

18 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, a lot of aircon systems are recirculatory with not much in the way of filtration. This has already been identified as a potential issue with asking people to return to their offices where it may not be possible to open windows to introduce outside air. A large proportion of offices in central London and Docklands would fall into this category.

Probably more hazardous than on aircraft where the air drawn from the cabin is effectively filtered but also an issue on cruise ship (and ferries?) where the aircon might potentially spread the virus. Stay in your cabin anyone?! Maybe not...

I doubt if most shipboard systems are designed to prevent the spread of pathogens. The documented cases of Covifd-19  aboard ships very much suggests they are not.

Sorry but there are very few AC systems that are fully recirc most will recirc about 10-15%. Filtration is mandatory in air conditioning systems since Legionella 8 legislation introduced.

New buildings do not have opening windows as the value of BREEAM refunds from the government for energy refunds.

Ships are designed to have full fresh air from and external source.

(I was an engineer in the Merchant Navy for 18 years and worked in construction and now facilities)

• Thanks 2
On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 09:07, straightfeed said:

. I'm reminded of what Stephen Fry said. Listen to the scientists and experts. They say "maybe" "just don't know" etc.

If there is one person I am fed up with listening to more than any politician sadly it is Mr S Fry. About the only reason I might listen to this bio-secure test match is the virtual certainty that his pretentious self-satisfied rent-a-quote tones won't turn up at some point to ruin the day.

He has a point though. That's the trouble with science in this sort of area. It has no answers only more questions. It would help if any data from pretty well any part of the world was worth the paper it was written on. I don't think that's the case. I do think one or two of the scientists are grandstanding as well.

In the face of that uncertainty someone has to make some sort of decision.

September will be round before we know it.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 2