News threads can only be replied to, not created.

BF Refit Season 2020-21

With the publication of the 2021 timetables, elements of the 2020-1 winter refit programme are starting to emerge:

2 Nov to 29 Nov:  Normandie away on refit, covered at Ouistreham by Armorique.

30 Nov to 3 Jan:  MSM away on refit, covered at Ouistreham by Normandie (in turn covered by Armorique).

30 Nov to 26 Jan:  CF away on refit, Santander covered by PA, no cover at Bilbao.

4 Jan to 22 March:  Armorique off service (presumably some of that time at refit?), Plymouth-Roscoff closed for the winter.

No refit appears to be in the schedules for Barfleur, Bretagne, Etretat or Pont Aven.  Presumably their extended layups during April-June enabled them to receive sufficient attention to alleviate the need to come off service again so soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gareth pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Images of MN Pelican in Ferrol. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/edouard-leveau-7b1aba65_it-is-a-way-better-without-clouds-and-with-activity-6763096676988198912-jqhw/?fbclid=IwAR0F_tx_FdZhYVi8ritJ1

Connemara in dry dock, thanks to Astilleros de Santander S.A.U. for the first photo and Viktors Trosins for the other two.

I’ve only just realised that Normandie has taken up residence in Cherbourg rather than heading for either Gdańsk or Santander for her lay up. Here are a few photos taken while delivering some much nee

Posted Images

Armorique now hovering 20 Kms outside Ouistreham having moved over from Le Havre, ready to commence her freight only role starting with the 16h30 sailing to Portsmouth tomorrow afternoon. Normandie will be sailing to Cherbourg tomorrow morning before destoring there prior to her refit.

Chris

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

I would suspect that there will little in the way of refitting done this season, and work will be limited to that required for the renewal of Class, Safety and State Certification, and essential maintenance. New carpets will not be on the agenda.

Quite right..Lets hope the essential maintenance runs to painting the rust on the metalwork in the public areas that Cabin Boy published on here last week.

Edited by Paully
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve only just realised that Normandie has taken up residence in Cherbourg rather than heading for either Gdańsk or Santander for her lay up. Here are a few photos taken while delivering some much needed vin rouge to the Epsilon this afternoon. Looks like being a bare essentials refit, but BF are historically very good when it comes to keeping their vessels up to scratch.

Chris

B6605337-B557-43D3-B546-46BB4D213896.jpeg

61C78366-6015-41D5-8271-3FD68A6CEDDD.jpeg

115074B2-0426-4CAB-9ADB-15FB387C18D4.jpeg

BD307ADF-9780-4161-A49D-887B573C88AA.jpeg

C46550B8-1D50-4611-930A-E84B464B8AE9.jpeg

• Like 5

I hope they get their paint from UK where, for historic reasons I do not fathom, it is MUCH cheaper. Anyone who has compared the prices of vinyl emulsion between B&Q and Leroy Merlin already knows. Not that I am suggesting such paint for the exterior of steel ships .... Most types of paint have a significant price disparity.

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I’ve only just realised that Normandie has taken up residence in Cherbourg rather than heading for either Gdańsk or Santander for her lay up

I think Mont St Michel may still go to Gdansk, she didn't get her planned DD last year so I don't think she will miss this year too.

15 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Cherbourg is going to be busy if we have Cotentin, Galicia and Normandie/MSM all there shortly.

Out of interest, presume Stena pay the bill to reset Cotentin back to BF requirements?

Charter terms can vary but normal situation is that the vessel is returned in the condition it was at the start of the charter (at operators' expense).

Obviously, if an operator say refurbishes a lounge and the owner is happy with that, it won't be returned to the original condition.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Cherbourg is going to be busy if we have Cotentin, Galicia and Normandie/MSM all there shortly.

Out of interest, presume Stena pay the bill to reset Cotentin back to BF requirements?

Cotentin is going to Le Havre, it will be just Normandie and Galicia in Cherbourg.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • 3 weeks later...

Mont St Michel left Portsmouth International Port this evening bound for Cherbourg, she'll undergo her refit/maintenance schedule and will return to service on January 4th 2021.

Normandie returns to service today (Monday), covering for Mont St Michel while Armorique covers Normandie's sailings in freight only mode.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
11 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Mont St Michel will be going via the Kiel Canal.

Wow, that’s unusual.  Wonder why?  It’s not as if the fleet is so stretched without her that they need to hurry to get her back!

That's going by her route forecast and she's due to arrive in Gdansk at 06:00 on Thursday. I can't see Thursday morning being possible if she went via the normal route. I've just asked someone who should know for sure, waiting on a reply.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
33 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

That's going by her route forecast and she's due to arrive in Gdansk at 06:00 on Thursday. I can't see Thursday morning being possible if she went via the normal route. I've just asked someone who should know for sure, waiting on a reply.

Perhaps when Galicia came through Suez they took advantage of a 'buy one, get another half-price' deal valid for any partner canal around the world. The voucher probably runs out at the end of the year.  

Ed

23 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps when Galicia came through Suez they took advantage of a 'buy one, get another half-price' deal valid for any partner canal around the world. The voucher probably runs out at the end of the year.  

Ed

Don’t you think they might want to use such a voucher to free Barfleur Ed?.....

• Haha 1
  • Andy unpinned this topic