News threads can only be replied to, not created.

BF Refit Season 2020-21

Two one-off sailings for CF have gone into the timetables at the end of her Rosslare - Bilbao/Cherbourg stint.  The first is a Bilbao-Portsmouth crossing on 14 Feb, and the second is a 1400 Portsmouth-Le Havre sailing on 15 Feb.

Presumably her arrival at Le Havre is to lay up - though you never know with BF these days!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Images of MN Pelican in Ferrol. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/edouard-leveau-7b1aba65_it-is-a-way-better-without-clouds-and-with-activity-6763096676988198912-jqhw/?fbclid=IwAR0F_tx_FdZhYVi8ritJ1

Connemara in dry dock, thanks to Astilleros de Santander S.A.U. for the first photo and Viktors Trosins for the other two.

I’ve only just realised that Normandie has taken up residence in Cherbourg rather than heading for either Gdańsk or Santander for her lay up. Here are a few photos taken while delivering some much nee

Posted Images

Meanwhile, Connemara’s stint on Poole-Bilbao ends with her arrival in Poole on Saturday morning.  (Over a week after that before Pelican returns, so that route looks suspended for a week).  Connemara’s next scheduled sailing is not until the 15 Feb departure from Rosslare to Cherbourg, so looks as if Connemara will be off for refit somewhere that isn’t in Spain or east of Cherbourg.  I wonder if it will be Brest?

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

Meanwhile, Connemara’s stint on Poole-Bilbao ends with her arrival in Poole on Saturday morning.  (Over a week after that before Pelican returns, so that route looks suspended for a week).  Connemara’s next scheduled sailing is not until the 15 Feb departure from Rosslare to Cherbourg, so looks as if Connemara will be off for refit somewhere that isn’t in Spain or east of Cherbourg.  I wonder if it will be Brest?

As far as I'm aware it will be Le Havre.

Edit: I now can't find where I read that so I'm not sure.

Edited by scarlton
11 minutes ago, scarlton said:

As far as I'm aware it will be Le Havre.

Edit: I now can't find where I read that so I'm not sure.

Perhaps you've been brainwashed by reading the name so often on this forum. 

Ed

It just seemed to me that if she was overhauled east of Cherbourg then it would have made more sense for her to return to service with a departure from Cherbourg (to Rosslare) rather than vice versa.  But, yes, Le Havre is another possibilty (as is Dunkerque).

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

Two one-off sailings for CF have gone into the timetables at the end of her Rosslare - Bilbao/Cherbourg stint.  The first is a Bilbao-Portsmouth crossing on 14 Feb, and the second is a 1400 Portsmouth-Le Havre sailing on 15 Feb.

Presumably her arrival at Le Havre is to lay up - though you never know with BF these days!

You never know alright... 😅

Though we probably would have first heard from the Chairman posting something on Twitter or rambling away to a journalist. I continue to think something giving Le Havre - Ireland a shot would make some sense (some 4.5 truck hours closer than Cherbourg to many haulier destinations), but that's for another topic.... 

• Like 2
On 27/01/2021 at 17:26, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps you've been brainwashed by reading the name so often on this forum. 

Ed

😂 It is quite possible.

Checked again and latest info I have is dry dock in Le Havre.

1 minute ago, scarlton said:

Checked again and latest info I have is dry dock in Le Havre.

I’ve often wondered why BF doesn’t use this facility (more often?).  It’s right on the doorstep of the fleet without having to make long delivery passages.

• Like 1

Curiously, Connemara (which was due to leave Bilbao yesterday evening for her last trip to Poole) has just arrived in Santander after getting away from Bilbao in the early hours of the morning.  I wonder if there has been some sort of resurgence of the industrial dispute at Bilbao that prevented her from loading?

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Curiously, Connemara (which was due to leave Bilbao yesterday evening for her last trip to Poole) has just arrived in Santander after getting away from Bilbao in the early hours of the morning.  I wonder if there has been some sort of resurgence of the industrial dispute at Bilbao that prevented her from loading?

Connemara is due at Astander on Monday for her dry docking.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps the dry dock in Le Havre is closed due to a strike.

Ed

Perhaps, yes.  Or perhaps Le Havre became unavailable (or Astander became available) for other reasons, leading to a late change of plan.

Anyway, Connemara is still at Santander.  She might just have time to get up to Poole and back by Monday, if she does the passage at Connemara speeds rather than Pelican speeds.  But there’s no additional departure from Poole in the timetable, so more likely that yesterday’s northbound sailing was just cancelled.  (Which is odd, given what was said in the unaccompanied freight press release about how busy Poole-Bilbao is at the moment).

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Connemara is still at Santander.  She might just have time to get up to Poole and back by Monday

Connemara isn't going anywhere, she's staying put in Santander. 'Autosun' is currently in Dry Dock No.2, due out this afternoon, Connemara moves into No.2 on Monday.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Connemara isn't going anywhere

Indeed, that’s now looking pretty evident.  Which means, of the 7 sailings she was timetabled for on her Poole-Bilbao stint, 3 were cancelled and she only ended up doing two round trips.

'Connemara' seen alongside in Santander yesterday, photos thanks to 'Becamario_Ships_In_Santander' on Instagram.

'Connemara' is due to shift to the Almirante Terminal for safety equipment drills on Sunday before heading to dry dock.

I don't know if it's the angle of the photo or my eyes but it does look like the ramp is damaged. Was her final sailing to Poole cancelled? If so, this could be why.

143458378_716260399282322_874864465023361868_n.jpg

144025162_1135996736837984_8945745406927947964_n.jpg

• Like 1

Looks to me as if it might just be that the ramp is still being lowered?  But yes, if it is damaged then that could explain why the last departure was cancelled.

On 30/01/2021 at 17:27, Gareth said:

Looks to me as if it might just be that the ramp is still being lowered?

The side railings are usually laid flat when the ramps are being raised and lowered if I remember.

• Like 1

A couple of pics of 'Connemara' heading towards Astander this afternoon, thanks to Jose Luis Diaz Campa. (More photos on my Facebook page).

A source close to BF has said that they are sure 'Connemara' is not getting the new BF Livery as she is a charter vessel and to keep costs down. Another source has since mentioned to me that 'Connemara' will be repainted while in dry dock but keeping the old BF colours.

'Connemara' is expected to remain at Astander for 2 weeks, departing on February 14th.

10.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, scarlton said:

Oops. Couldn't have been much further off (short of Gdansk). I don't know if things changed or if my information was wrong. Probably option two..

Not sure.  The scheduled final sailing on Poole-Bilbao, that would have seen her finish in Poole, was cancelled.  Rather implies to me that the original plan was Le Havre but was then changed.

Edit:  Also, her re-entry into service is scheduled to be from Rosslare.  If Santander was always planned as the refit port, the first sailing back would surely have been from Bilbao.

I've not known Brittany Ferries to use the dry dock facilities in Le Havre, not as far as I can remember anyway. I certainly can't work out why some thought that Connemara was going to Le Havre this time around either.

On 02/02/2021 at 23:31, TonyMWeaver said:

I've not known Brittany Ferries to use the dry dock facilities in Le Havre, not as far as I can remember anyway. I certainly can't work out why some thought that Connemara was going to Le Havre this time around either.

It came from a combination of information from someone who normally has near-faultless detailed inside information about developments at BF, and the evidence of the published timetables (which clearly pointed to a dry docking north of Spain).  I think that is clear in the flow of the discussion in the thread in the last couple of pages.

Regarding the drydock facility at Le Havre, indeed, I can’t remember whether they’ve used it or not.  (Hence my bracketing of “more often?”).  I had some very hazy memory that Bretagne might have used it once a while back, but not with any confidence.  More likely they haven’t.

• Andy unpinned this topic