Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nottingham

Supermarket in Roscoff?

Recommended Posts

I have only ever found the Casino in Roscoff itself, and have always found it a dismal place with disappointing stock - are there any others? I have used the Super U in St Pol previously and the newer one at Pleyber-Christ, there must be a decent store locally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a large E Leclerc on the outskirts of St Pol.  Heading away from Roscoff in the Morlaix direction take the St Pol turnoff at the Rond Pont de Kergompez and the supermarket is a few hundred metres along on the left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Angel said:

There's a large E Leclerc on the outskirts of St Pol.  Heading away from Roscoff in the Morlaix direction take the St Pol turnoff at the Rond Pont de Kergompez and the supermarket is a few hundred metres along on the left.

with a Lidl's opposite as well if that's what you want.  Personally we always go for the Super U.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Theres a good reasonable size Super U in st Pol. 

Sorry, just noticed you knew that already Nottingham.

Edited by straightfeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, nottingham said:

I have only ever found the Casino in Roscoff itself, and have always found it a dismal place with disappointing stock - are there any others? I have used the Super U in St Pol previously and the newer one at Pleyber-Christ, there must be a decent store locally!

That particular Casino always reminds me of somewhere about to close down. Half empty shelves and generally run down. Though its been like that for years😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hyper Casino south of  Landivisiau  on the road to Sizun similar as above comments. Walked in, walked out, didnt bother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it really is a depressing place, a fine example of how not to run a supermarket. Back in 2014 hurricane Andrea rearranged the roof and it was closed for months...

Tempête. Andrea a décoiffé un supermarché - Faits divers - Le ...

 

It's a shame it wasn't demolished and started again from scratch because it has the potential to be a little gem but the Casino group do have a pretty poor reputation. The Géant store in Morlaix is awful, big isn't necessarily beautiful. During our 8 year spell in Roscoff Super U in St Pol de Léon was always the preferred option with friendly staff, "fresh" fresh vegetables and a good meat counter - no comment on the wine aisle though....! ;)

Chris

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once bought a bottle of Cote de Provence rose from the Super U.  (Well more than one actually, but this particular bottle was memorable).  When I screwed in the cork screw to remove the cork, the whole top of the bottle shattered! 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a local Super U which is excellent and an Intermarche which isn't. The latter is so dark inside it's difficult to read the 'best before date' on their products, which I suppose might be the intention. Young people and those with families tend to shop at Super U while the Intermarche attracts the older population. This makes sense as it's marginally closer to the residential areas of town and definitely nearer the retirement home and sheltered housing. In fact, in a stroke of town-planning genius, the local cemetery is handily placed on the route back from the Intermarche just in case the customers don't make it up the hill with their bags. Ed. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/07/2020 at 09:46, ccs147 said:

That particular Casino always reminds me of somewhere about to close down. Half empty shelves and generally run down. Though its been like that for years😁

I'll be honest, when holidaying in France several branches of Casino had that sort of feel to them. 

15 years or so ago, every single Intermarché we saw seemed pretty ropey and grubby too, but they seem to have gone on a building and refurbishment spree since, even if they seem to be smaller in terms of the size of the replacements. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My understanding is that Intermarche stores are individually owned but buy their produce through the central organisation.. So you get some stores where owners have invested heavily in the buildings, but others who haven't. Isn't the Spar group the same ? 

No idea how Casino works but we used to use the gloomy Roscoff branch straight off the overnight ferry, back in the days when it was the only supermarket in the area open on a Sunday morning. That has all changed now of course and we go straight down the top road to Super U.

Edited by wortley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super U and Intermarché are franchise systems, with inevitable variations. Casino lost its way badly ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 18:32, colin said:

Super U and Intermarché are franchise systems, with inevitable variations. Casino lost its way badly ....

Never knew that about Super U!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must depend very much on what you expect and what you are used to. Around Rostrenen and Pontivy the Intermarche and le Clerc shops are very good but Super U is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can be individual franchises or have multiple stores in the same franchise. They also work in groups to offer deals and get the best prices. If staying at a gite or your own holiday house you might find catalogues in the post box for all the local stores with current deals. The list of shops where those offers apply is normally printed on the back. 

Some of the U-express shops are even less affiliated in that they won't offer loyalty points on your card or have fuel stations. Equally the in-store bakeries vary enormously.

Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super U Pleurtuit and Plancoët are owned by a husband and wife, she lives in our village and runs the former. Plouer, just down the road has lots of different suppliers and products, as well as different weekly offers. The canny client uses both!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to have an excellent Hyper U in Dives Sur Mer, unfortunately it changed to a  Géant Casino  & the prices went up and the quality down. I now generally go to a mix of shops with Lidl my first port of call & then others for branded stuff or fresh milk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy cheap trousers in Géant Casino, not that I wear them other than winter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 09:28, Fine Whine said:

Yes it really is a depressing place, a fine example of how not to run a supermarket. Back in 2014 hurricane Andrea rearranged the roof and it was closed for months...

Tempête. Andrea a décoiffé un supermarché - Faits divers - Le ...

 

It's a shame it wasn't demolished and started again from scratch because it has the potential to be a little gem but the Casino group do have a pretty poor reputation. The Géant store in Morlaix is awful, big isn't necessarily beautiful. During our 8 year spell in Roscoff Super U in St Pol de Léon was always the preferred option with friendly staff, "fresh" fresh vegetables and a good meat counter - no comment on the wine aisle though....! ;)

Chris

 

Agree, Super U is great, but the Casino is my emergency stop if i've forgotten something last minute, or I am on foot! Don't think it opens on a Sunday though, or does it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Agree, Super U is great, but the Casino is my emergency stop if i've forgotten something last minute, or I am on foot! Don't think it opens on a Sunday though, or does it now?

Casino at Roscoff is open on Sundays from 0900 -1230  - but note their two hour lunch break closure Mondays to Fridays 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...