Saint-Malo blockaded

I’m a bit confused - if these are workers for the stevedore company that has stopped trading, how can they be on strike?  And if they’re technically not on strike, then is blockading a ramp protected by the laws governing striking? And if not, then isn’t this just a case of causing a civil disturbance that the police should be dealing with?

Or are these dockers nothing to do with the stevedore company and “striking” over something else entirely?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All We are now back home in the UK after an eventful departure from St. Malo. Apologies for the delay, IT problems, flat battery and the lead in the car ! After waiting for about an

"Support it' is probably Breton patois for "capitulate" in English. (Hint to computer users - when writing capitulate, turn off predictive text . . . )

What do you mean 'still'? I've only just started. There's another 4 days of sun, sea, sand and social distancing to come down here before we head home and then up to (cooler) Normandy for 10 days.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Paully said:

You might have had a different view if your onward travel plans with the family had been split asunder by these fools. 

I don't think that  I would go so far as killing strikers, however it does need sorting and these types of strikes do have similarities to the  1970's 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Even the tactics of Margaret Thatcher did not go as far as some of the suggestions on this topic.

It needs sorting & if it does not get sorted soon, hopefully BF will stop using St Malo until it is.

There's a time and a place (and an acceptable way of doing things) for everything and now is neither in my opinion. Ed. 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I don't think that  I would go so far as killing strikers, however it does need sorting and these types of strikes do have similarities to the  1970's 

David..it was a tongue in cheek comment that you have misinterpreted in a rather strange way. My thoughts though are still will those seriously convenienced today.

Edited by Paully
  • Like 2

Still not seen anything which actually states what the protests are about. Most rational people I would have thought would want to understand that before deciding on the appropriateness, or otherwise, of the action.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hhvferry said:

Still not seen anything which actually states what the protests are about. Most rational people I would have thought would want to understand that before deciding on the appropriateness, or otherwise, of the action.

Well let's assume it's not about a missing olive on their lunchtime pizzas in the dockers' cantine. Although the analogy is perhaps an apt one. Ed. 

When I worked in the Renault factory in Le Mans three student summers, I rated the food above 3 star.

Seems the  action was totally local, denounced by the Sous Préfet as harming a French company already coping with enough!

12 minutes ago, colin said:

When I worked in the Renault factory in Le Mans three student summers, I rated the food above 3 star.

The factory canteens where I occasionally eat are all excellent too. As with prisons, if the inmates are well-fed they complain far less. 

13 minutes ago, colin said:

Seems the  action was totally local, denounced by the Sous Préfet as harming a French company already coping with enough!

Presumably the big boss Prefect is sunning himself on a beach somewhere, leaving his deputy in charge. Sensible chap!

Ed. 

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Presumably the big boss Prefect is sunning himself on a beach somewhere, leaving his deputy in charge. Sensible chap!

Ed. 

She is Rennes based whilst he, Vincent Lagoguey is here all the time.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, colin said:

She is Rennes based whilst he, Vincent Lagoguey is here all the time.

OK, so perhaps Madame La Prefete is on the beach. At least St Malo provides enough nonsense to keep the deputy busy and stop him getting bored. Ed. 

13 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The Portsmouth departure board shows it due to return to Cherbourg this evening

She might be sailing in tandem with Connemara is this pattern continues through the week!

Hi

I've just seen this thread and we are booked on the St. Malo ferry tomorrow morning to return home.  There is no information on the BF site and we have had no notifications about our crossing.  Any advice as to what to do?

We would rather not drive from central Brittany to St. Malo and then on to Cherbourg if we don’t have to.  The last time this happened we were cheerfully informed it was only a 30 minute trip 😬.

7 minutes ago, Sheepish said:

Hi

I've just seen this thread and we are booked on the St. Malo ferry tomorrow morning to return home.  There is no information on the BF site and we have had no notifications about our crossing.  Any advice as to what to do?

We would rather not drive from central Brittany to St. Malo and then on to Cherbourg if we don’t have to.  The last time this happened we were cheerfully informed it was only a 30 minute trip 😬.

Best advice is to ring one of the French BF ports and ask them, however if something has changed they will normally send you a text message.

This is speculation based on limited information - however you can look at the tracking info for the Bretagne in a couple of hours,

Contact numbers are:-

https://www.brittany-ferries.fr/informations/contact

Edited by David Williams