News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Saint-Malo blockaded

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All We are now back home in the UK after an eventful departure from St. Malo. Apologies for the delay, IT problems, flat battery and the lead in the car ! After waiting for about an

"Support it' is probably Breton patois for "capitulate" in English. (Hint to computer users - when writing capitulate, turn off predictive text . . . )

What do you mean 'still'? I've only just started. There's another 4 days of sun, sea, sand and social distancing to come down here before we head home and then up to (cooler) Normandy for 10 days.

Posted Images

Can I ask? Why are they blockading the port for?so before we all go on about the French unions causing hassle yet again.it could be a very good reason why they are doing this action for.i know it disrupts many people's plans for travelling over to France for holidays etc.i hope some person out there give us the real reason why they are doing this action.remember there is always two sides in industrial disputes.stay safe

5 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Can I ask? Why are they blockading the port for?so before we all go on about the French unions causing hassle yet again.it could be a very good reason why they are doing this action for.i know it disrupts many people's plans for travelling over to France for holidays etc.i hope some person out there give us the real reason why they are doing this action.remember there is always two sides in industrial disputes.stay safe

We know that their original employer went bust, it is unclear what happened next.

Currently sat in the queue at St Malo waiting for the Bretagne to dock.  A delay this morning due to tides apparently.  No further information from BF about yesterday.

There has just been a couple of explosions and a Large fire started at the port entrance accompanied by a number a Jillet Jaune figures.  Looks like an attempt to disrupt this mornings crossing

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Sheepish said:

Currently sat in the queue at St Malo waiting for the Bretagne to dock.  A delay this morning due to tides apparently.  No further information from BF about yesterday.

There has just been a couple of explosions and a Large fire started at the port entrance accompanied by a number a Jillet Jaune figures.  Looks like an attempt to disrupt this mornings crossing

Good luck! And remember if you happen to drive past any of them, wash your windscreen copiously. It has a pleasant stinging sensation when in contact with the eyes.

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Thanks, I think we might be going to need it.

Now raining but the fire is now really burning well, large clouds of black smoke.

The Bretagne was supposed to dock about now but still about 2 miles off according to AIS.

Bretagne docked and crew change And cleaning crew ready on the quay but no sign that the doors are going To open and it looks like the passengers may not have even gone to their vehicles yet.

Massive fire now, looks like we could be waiting a while yet.

No idea Ed but one of the Connemara crew told me she is operating in « passenger only » mode for the holiday period, presumably to free up as much cabin space as possible. Reading the Ouest France report there were 549 passengers on board the non arrival yesterday morning, so not a bad load all things considered. There is plenty of freight space available on both the Cherbourg, Le Havre  and Caen routes apparently.

Chris

• Thanks 1

The strike is about saving 32 jobs and ensuring the moving rights of Dockers to carry out all horizontal movements. The strikers feel, with some justification, that their employer was allowed to fail, lacking support from the shareholders, Times (Roulier), BF, Morgan File (Condor) and two others. What the port handles has changed, so it was clear some changes had to come for the dockers, but I suspect that, for example, BY use less than half a dozen, for three or four hours a day, in high season. Why should they be paying for 32? It will get resolved, and law enforcement will probably succeed in avoiding blockage, but steam still needs to be let off.

3 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

By setting off explosions, lighting fires and causing general mayhem in an already fraught travelling situation?

Remember, 'the holiday starts the moment you step on board'. Until then, anything goes. Ed.