News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Saint-Malo blockaded

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All We are now back home in the UK after an eventful departure from St. Malo. Apologies for the delay, IT problems, flat battery and the lead in the car ! After waiting for about an

"Support it' is probably Breton patois for "capitulate" in English. (Hint to computer users - when writing capitulate, turn off predictive text . . . )

What do you mean 'still'? I've only just started. There's another 4 days of sun, sea, sand and social distancing to come down here before we head home and then up to (cooler) Normandy for 10 days.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, colin said:

As I said, she will pass between the Minquiers and Chausey soon. AIS does not fudge live position data.

Colin, we are saying the same thing it is the manual stuff like Destination and status (still showing as moored) that they have not updated so we can't see where it is going for a while.

David

Edited by David Williams
6 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

Wherever she's heading, Bretagne is in a hurry. 24.8 knots!

She’s just shot up through the Alderney Race, so I suspect she’s just got the tide behind her.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

Wherever she's heading, Bretagne is in a hurry. 24.8 knots!

She's not carrying any heavy freight vehicles according to Chris so can perhaps move faster. Or she's in the tidal race near Alderney and that's helping her overall speed. The timing would be about right from my experience. Ed

From today's.  Ouest-France.   

Saint-Malo. Les dockers brûlent des palettes, les Anglais débarquent avec une heure de retard

Les dockers poursuivent leurs actions au port de Saint-Malo pour dénoncer leur licenciement. Les passagers du ferry Bretagne ont débarqué avec du retard, ce mardi 28 juillet 2020.

Hi All

We are now back home in the UK after an eventful departure from St. Malo.

Apologies for the delay, IT problems, flat battery and the lead in the car !

After waiting for about an hour for the Bretagne To unload its cars the plan was to hold these in the port area until we had loaded And departed.  In reality the unloaded cars left the port before we did. We sailed at about 11.30 French time and there were very few vehicles in the ferry.  Asking one of the loaders gave us more information about what was going on than was shared from any official BF announcement.  Our only criticism of BF is their lack of communication, we understand this is not in their control but some information is always helpful even if it is that they have no information. 
Disembarking in Portsmouth was quick and easy even though we had to show the new Visa form on our phones, this didn’t download properly but it didn’t seem to cause a problem in the end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, BZH29 said:

Saint-Malo. Les dockers brûlent des palettes, les Anglais débarquent avec une heure de retard

Les dockers poursuivent leurs actions au port de Saint-Malo pour dénoncer leur licenciement. Les passagers du ferry Bretagne ont débarqué avec du retard, ce mardi 28 juillet 2020.

What is that in English for us who don't know French please.stay safe

6 hours ago, BZH29 said:

Saint Malo - dockers burn pallets and the English travellers disembark an hour late.

The dockers were continuing their activity at the port of Saint-Malo in protest against being made redundant. The passengers on-board the ferry Bretagne disembarked late [as a result].

No explanation as to why all cars not loaded.

Dockers have issued a statement saying they have been negotiating in good faith for several years, but that the owners of the company failed to support it.

34 minutes ago, colin said:

No explanation as to why all cars not loaded.

Dockers have issued a statement saying they have been negotiating in good faith for several years, but that the owners of the company failed to support it.

"Support it' is probably Breton patois for "capitulate" in English. (Hint to computer users - when writing capitulate, turn off predictive text . . . )

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

It was the words 'in good faith' that struck me. I assumed it was GCT speak for 'with a knife to the throat'. 

My telephone won't pay ball with 'capitulate' so please put me out of my misery, by PM if necessary. 

Ed

Could people pelase post translations? It only takes a moment.

A ferry connecting Portsmouth to Saint-Malo, carrying nearly 600 people, could not dock on Monday, July 27, in the morning, in the privateer city due to a social movement.

From Portsmouth, they were nearly 600 passengers - British, except for two people, and 177 vehicles - aboard the ferry Brittany to have to disembark in Saint-Malo in the morning, Monday July 27. "The Bretagne could not dock at 8:15 as planned, due to a social movement of dockers who had blocked the port. Concerned about the safety of its passengers and for logistics issues, Brittany Ferries quickly took the decision to divert Brittany to Cherbourg, where it arrived around 4 pm ", recalls the communication service of Brittany Ferries. The 258 passengers of another rotation connecting Saint-Malo to Portsmouth finally left "mainly from the port of Caen and Ouistreham" at the end of the afternoon, specifies the shipping company. Tuesday July 28, the dockers continued their actions at the port of Saint-Malo to denounce their dismissal, after the liquidation of Saint-Malo Handling (SMM) in early July. The passengers of Brittany had to take their troubles patiently. "We adapt over the days", slips the company.

Edited by cvabishop
59 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Are you still on holiday or just without work ?

What do you mean 'still'? I've only just started. There's another 4 days of sun, sea, sand and social distancing to come down here before we head home and then up to (cooler) Normandy for 10 days.

It's hell down on the Med as you can imagine. I had to walk 3 miles to get this view last night.

Ed

DSC_0414.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1