The Future of Le Havre as a Ferry Port

Gareth

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

We last visited LH in February 2019 and I did notice there's been a conscious effort to improve appearances. The tram is a good addition, though with dogs not permitted we couldn't use it.

Whilst it's no doubt good for locals, the majority of ferry passengers will just be passing through.

Of course, but there are also many connections between the city of Le Havre and the South of England. Historically, there is local traffic.

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

An inexcusable slur! 

Ed. 

Four countries seaside resorts all put down to convince people that a rival port to Le Havre isn’t picturesque, sums up the level of argument that’s now being punted by LH

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Jim said:

I seem to recall there being buses connecting in line with the ferry timetable in Ouistreham. Has that changed?

Deleted from next September. You'll have to take a regular bus line Ouistreham / Caen.

In Le Havre, as the terminal is on the edge of the city centre, the tram and frequent bus lines are nearby. The "passenger" bus provides a free connection at the exit of the terminal to the Bus and Rail Station. For pedestrian passengers, the Le Havre terminal is the best served... only ships are bad for passengers. 

not to mention the bridge, which was suitable for the P-O but is no longer suitable for BF cargo ships. That's too bad.

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

An inexcusable slur! 

Ed. 

I admit it's nasty for English seaside resorts. At least at home there are no plastic beach huts. To tell the truth, I love some of your beaches. I love the angler with French eyes 😉 😁

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

No,  the link to Rennes definitely exists.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.oui.sncf/en/train/timetables/caen/rennes&ved=2ahUKEwjhs4Xx1_XqAhWSShUIHX4dCH0QFjADegQIARAI&usg=AOvVaw3SiZI3uUnbzXrLCfwNWn0H

As for the line to Le Mans it can be under 2 hours. You can't do it via Paris in less than 2, I'm certain. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.oui.sncf/train/horaires/caen/le-mans&ved=2ahUKEwi-zqyY1_XqAhWNQRUIHdB4DaEQFjAGegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw0o2KkFrXoOadDAfA9uqNF-

I've never tried the buses so can't comment on them but I assume they are timed to match the ferries.

Ed

The Caen/Rennes train link is done with a connecting at Granville. The direct service has been replaced by a coach.

Edited by LHCity
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Four countries seaside resorts all put down to convince people that a rival port to Le Havre isn’t picturesque, sums up the level of argument that’s now being punted by LH

Hey...Humor !!!

18 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Ouistreham is not very picturesque. It looks like a British seaside resort. The arrival by boat is not very spectacular. It is neither the arrival in Portsmouth nor the arrival in Le Havre with the "parade". The picturesque, is not the number one success of an otherwise line there would be no more ferries to Rotterdam, Dunkirk, Bilbao or Portsmouth. Arriving in a large city, rather than in a secondary port is also an advantage.

There's blinkered vision and there LHCity blinkered vision. 

7 minutes ago, LHCity said:

The Caen/Rennes train link is done with a connecting flight. The direct privilege has been replaced by a coach.

The longer trips are done by train (06h01 in the morning for example) but the shorter ones use a coach service. 

Ed.

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The longer trips are done by train (06h01 in the morning for example) but the shorter ones use a coach service. 

Ed.

You. It is on and certain, the direct trains no longer exist between Caen and Rennes, replaced by a coach (faster). Nevertheless, the train link is always possible with a connection to Le Mans or Granville (poorly coordinated), but with longer journey times than passing through Paris.

The problem is that for 25 years, most pedestrian passengers have been taking the Eurostar. Moreover, the direct train From Paris to Dieppe collapsed during the opening of the Channel Tunnel. The majority of pedestrian passengers today are on local routes.

Edited by LHCity

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

'Insured' in case the entire thing topples over and resolves all our problems?

Or 'assured' meaning here to stay for the foreseeable future?

Ed. 

I meant "they're still allowed." France has not yet had its Margareth Thatcher to sink the beak to these agitated ...  but I don't want to revive the debate here. Everyone has their own opinions. Some will even say they are right, so I cannot agree. End of the off topic 😉

5 minutes ago, LHCity said:

I meant "they're still allowed." France has not yet had its Margareth Thatcher to sink the beak to these agitated ...  but I don't want to revive the debate here. Everyone has their own opinions. Some will even say they are right, so I cannot agree. End of the off topic 😉

To come back to the basic subject, I find this operation of a Cherbourg / Portsmouth / Le Havre route with the same ship astonishing (Like Townsend Thoresen). Could this scheme have a future with two boats, which would no doubt make it possible to offer 1 to 2 departures per direction from each port (Le Havre and Cherbourg)? Would BF consider the transfer of the Portsmouth-St Malo route to Poole? Sounds more direct, doesn't it?