Gareth

The Future of Le Havre as a Ferry Port

7 minutes ago, LHCity said:

This route is perfect for boat lovers ... who obviously you are not

and as you seem to speak without knowing, you should know that the main access road to the cross-Channel terminal, only crosses the suburbs (like Portsmouth ;-))

But do you still get all the fantastic petrochemical smells for which Le Havre is so famous (oily rags, rotten eggs, stewed cabbage etc)? Ed. 

• Haha 2
  • TongueOut 1

10 minutes ago, Solo said:

It would be like taking the direct route out of Santander and not going into the city.

Been doing that for years, round on the S10, S30 then on to the A67 towards Torrelavega. We'll use the site up at Cabo Mayor the day before coming home then drive along the front to the ferry port.

Just now, ZinedineBiscan said:

I can see that this thread is going to be locked down quicker than a Pennine town the way it's going...

As long as keep our distance all will be fine & the purpose of this thread is to protect the others - think of it as PPE

57 minutes ago, LHCity said:

read well

I did. Unfortunately I'm no clearer on where all these magical passengers are meant to come from. Things are quiet 'at the moment' but even if they was not the case I think you'd need to start rubbing a genie's lamp to find the demand.

53 minutes ago, LHCity said:

This route is perfect for boat lovers

Probably not so much for boat operators... Who it seems, based on the last few decades don't share the same rose tinted view of Le Havre.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim said:

I did. Unfortunately I'm no clearer on where all these magical passengers are meant to come from. Things are quiet 'at the moment' but even if they was not the case I think you'd need to start rubbing a genie's lamp to find the demand.

Probably not so much for boat operators... Who it seems, based on the last few decades don't share the same rose tinted view of Le Havre.

This does not prevent the port of Le Havre from overtaking the main British ports in terms of tonnage 😉 

But I recognize that getting rid of the 30 communist union members who block everything would be much better. Besides, it seems that there are the same ones in St Malo? so...

10 minutes ago, LHCity said:

This does not prevent the port of Le Havre from overtaking the main British ports in terms of tonnage 😉 

But I recognize that getting rid of the 30 communist union members who block everything would be much better. Besides, it seems that there are the same ones in St Malo? so...

Someone doesn’t know the meaning of the word “communist”  , it’s useful having a scapegoat though when your pie in sky idea has no substance.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LHCity said:

That's nice for Le Havre, but I'm not sure of the relevance of such a comparison in the context of a wish list for passenger ferry operations.

23 minutes ago, LHCity said:

British ports serve to feed a country whereas Le Havre is one of several gateways to an entire continent so it's hardly a useful comparison. 

As to the union members being communists, I don't think so. Misguided Marxists maybe. 

Ed. 

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

anyway this thread is about the golden future of Le Havre as a ropax port

Or the saviour of the French ferry industry.

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

That's nice for Le Havre, but I'm not sure of the relevance of such a comparison in the context of a wish list for passenger ferry operations.

That is not the purpose of my answer

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

British ports serve to feed a country whereas Le Havre is one of several gateways to an entire continent so it's hardly a useful comparison. 

As to the union members being communists, I don't think so. Misguided Marxists maybe. 

Ed. 

The argument for goods would not be valid for passengers - freight? If BF were to question itself it would transfer its Ouistreham/Portsmouth route to Le Havre and make an equivalent between Cherbourg and Portsmouth (especially if the Dieppe/Newhaven line contract is not renewed). Arrive in a freight-generating port with much more sense than arriving on a sand dune... even more true if BF starts to make rail freight that only Le Havre and Cherbourg are able to offer.

This thread is like listening to the drunk old guy who stands in the corner of the pub spouting his views on how if he ran the country everything would be better.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LHCity said:

The argument for goods would not be valid for passengers - freight? If BF were to question itself it would transfer its Ouistreham/Portsmouth route to Le Havre and make an equivalent between Cherbourg and Portsmouth (especially if the Dieppe/Newhaven line contract is not renewed). Arrive in a freight-generating port with much more sense than arriving on a sand dune... even more true if BF starts to make rail freight that only Le Havre and Cherbourg are able to offer.

Only the sand dune has been reliably having 3 sailings a day for the last 34 years. Le Havre lost that 15 years ago.

It seems the people running the ships like the sand dunes more. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

This thread is like listening to the drunk old guy who stands in the corner of the pub spouting his views on how if he ran the country everything would be better.

I’m afraid it was always going to be.  I’m pleased, however, that so many posters have engaged with it and that, therefore, despite the obvious disconnect with reality seen in many posts, there has also actually been some interesting and meaningful discussion.

• Like 2

It shows there is interest in LeHavre as a ferry port but most cannot see a way of making it happen.

• Like 2

Just now, Gareth said:

I’m afraid it was always going to be.  I’m pleased, however, that so many posters have engaged with it and that, therefore, despite the obvious disconnect with reality seen in many posts, there has also actually been some interesting and meaningful discussion.

I think most forum members are open to listening to how BF and travel to their favourite French destinations could be improved or made better value for money , but I think most expect the discussion to have a modicum of reality .

• Like 2

And meaningful engagement with the points made by other posters.

• Like 2

Just now, David Williams said:

Well, I hope that Le Havre continues with a relaxed timetable and arrival at a sociable hour.

And cheap prices , this came up on my Facebook memories today my only crossing to Le Havre. (2011)

747974E3-8935-4410-B2CF-65200509D381.jpeg

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

I think most forum members are open to listening to how BF and travel to their favourite French destinations could be improved or made better value for money , but I think most expect the discussion to have a modicum of reality .

The reality is that Dieppe does not have the potential of Le Havre and yet there are 3 departures per day. That nothing is impossible and today the ferry companies do nothing without the regions and departments. There is still only the Le Havre/Portsmouth line that operates without aids and with ferries that do not belong to the communities.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Only the sand dune has been reliably having 3 sailings a day for the last 34 years. Le Havre lost that 15 years ago.

It seems the people running the ships like the sand dunes more. 

There were 3 to 6 departures a day from Le Havre for much longer and well before the P-O... nothing is immutable today. The consequences of the virus prove it. Cards can fold up. I am thinking in particular of the consequences of Brexit, which can restore traffic to the Normandie and Bretagne shipping routes, to avoid Calais.

If Stena's arrival on Le Havre / Portsmouth, for example, could produce real price competition against BF in Ouistreham and reverse the flows. Anything is possible today, the worst, like the best. I can't see BF letting a competitor settle, but maybe the port authority of Le Havre wants it.

May also be speculated around Brittany Ferries' intentions in Le Havre when nothing is going to happen and the delay in the schedule is related to the unavailability of the boat or the negotiation of a new charter.

10 minutes ago, LHCity said:

There were 3 to 6 departures a day from Le Havre for much longer and well before the P-O...

There was also a time when horses were a more popular mode of transport than cars... But I think we're unlikely to see a return to that either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1