Gareth

The Future of Le Havre as a Ferry Port

21 minutes ago, LHCity said:

There were 3 to 6 departures a day from Le Havre for much longer and well before the P-O

There have never been 6 departures in a day from Le Havre to the UK.  The norm during the TT / Normandy Ferries rivalry was 4 per day (2 each - NF sailed at 1200 and 2300, whereas TT sailed at around 1100 (give or take) and 2300 to Southampton.  From 1978 onwards the TT departures were 0900 and 2300.  Only in 1976 were there 5 departures, and that was on 3 days per week when there was an extra TT departure.  On those days, the TT departures were at 0730, 1400 (ish) and 2300.  Once TT had taken over P&O the departures were down to three per day along the familiar lines of the ultimate P&O operation.  Never were there 6 departures per day to the UK (which I assume, in the context of this discussion, is what you were talking about).

Over and above all that was the almost-daily service of ICL, which ran 5 times per week, at 1800, to Rosslare.  This used the NF berth (until 1985, when the NF operation was sold to TT).  The teatime arrival of Dragon from Southampton was frequently held up by the ICL ship running late on the berth.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

The other possibility for the delayed announcement is BF trying to get a subsidy of some kind

Uk government in the context of Brexit?

3 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Uk government in the context of Brexit?

They only provide subsidy to ferry companies that don’t have Ferries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I live just South-East of Le Havre, and have done so for the past 12 years, in all this time I have not seen any adds to promote it in it's own right, with all the history it has to offer, you can take a bus ride given in English, and parks to visit where you can do a picnic.

I am also sure that even day trippers would come if the docking times was moved so that they get the 8:45 bus to Honfleur and the get back to Le Havre by 17:00 to depart again at 18:00.

As do Caen, and Cherbourg, but they only get covered a short time each  a year for D-Day, but that don't bring many young one's which miss out on what is close to they ports.

I/We would have to say that BF, do a good video for them self's along with showing scenes of the ports they visit and offers on their ships.

The bigger problem with LE Harve, is that no money has been put into the port but outside the road links are much better, more so since the Pont de Normandie, was opened.  

5 hours ago, Eddies said:

I live just South-East of Le Havre, and have done so for the past 12 years, in all this time I have not seen any adds to promote it in it's own right, with all the history it has to offer, you can take a bus ride given in English, and parks to visit where you can do a picnic.

It's the same across the board. Apart from a short period (under the Connex franchise funnily enough) there has never been any hint in rail timetables of the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing and the promotion by the operators in what might be seen as the local travel to port market pretty well non-existent. 

On 31/07/2020 at 20:31, LHCity said:

Arrive in a freight-generating port with much more sense than arriving on a sand dune

Which, if any port is to be successful, passenger/freight HAVE to go hand in hand. And the E-Flexers or the like are the only way forward for this reason. More tourist based vessels will always be much more expensive to use.

On 31/07/2020 at 21:53, neilcvx said:

And cheap prices , this came up on my Facebook memories today my only crossing to Le Havre.

As above. For most of us, the price is the main factor in deciding which route to take. If Le Havre was the cheaper option due to freight load off set then I would use it over Cherbourg or Oiustreham every time.

There is little point to the debate over which towns/cities are more picturesque. Sailing into Ramsgate, Newhaven, Dover, Portsmouth, Poole (with the exception of Poole Harbour itself), Calais, and Dunkerque for example, are hardly breath taking! It seems to me that most of the posters in this thread are travelling to their own same destination each time they travel, so the point of arrival is more of a convenience than what each town has to offer or how nice the scenic appearance of said town is.

I have to say, I think it is paramount that the Mods of a thread this popular remain impartial. There have been some very good points (and facts) pointed out here but the moderation could appear to be slightly one sided. Everyone has an opinion and it is an open forum/debate as such, so should remain civil regardless of whether you do or don't like Le Havre 😋 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Danim, please could you amplify on your last paragraph?  There has been no moderation applied to this thread whatsoever, by any moderator.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Danim, please could you amplify on your last paragraph?  There has been no moderation applied to this thread whatsoever, by any moderator.

PM'd 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Danim24 said:

There is little point to the debate over which towns/cities are more picturesque. Sailing into Ramsgate, Newhaven, Dover, Portsmouth, Poole (with the exception of Poole Harbour itself), Calais, and Dunkerque for example, are hardly breath taking! It seems to me that most of the posters in this thread are travelling to their own same destination each time they travel, so the point of arrival is more of a convenience than what each town has to offer or how nice the scenic appearance of said town is.

Poole (with the exception of Poole Harbour itself) and Portsmouth "hardly breathtaking" ?!?!?!  Sorry, Sir/Madam, but I don't understand. From landfall to berthing both offer compelling views as the finale to your trip. One of my friends, a regular to/from Portsmouth reckons he is always last man to reach the car deck because he can't tear himself away from sightseeing on the open deck whatever the weather.

• Like 1

Agreed Ken. From the first sight of St Catherine's to rounding to the berth arriving at Portsmouth is a delight. 

• Like 1

Jane is still saying no firm dates for Le Havre.

I still don’t agree that it is a pretty port.

I am sitting in our flat in Dives Sur Mer looking at the marina, river and sea and 18 miles away I can see the splendour of the port of Le Havre with it’s oil or gas  holders and twin towers from the power station.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Jane is still saying no firm dates for Le Havre.

I still don’t agree that it is a pretty port.

I am sitting in our flat in Dives Sur Mer looking at the marina, river and sea and 18 miles away I can see the splendour of the port of Le Havre with it’s oil or gas  holders and twin towers from the power station.

We spent 10 days at Camping de la Vallee in Houlgate a number of years ago and Dives Sur Mer is definitely prettier than Le Havre. 

14 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

We spent 10 days at Camping de la Vallee in Houlgate a number of years ago and Dives Sur Mer is definitely prettier than Le Havre. 

Yes, Dives Sur Mer has the medieval Architecture and Houlgate and Cabourg have the great beaches and Belle Epoque buildings. There are superb restaurants in all 3 towns & I can walk to them all. There is even a decent cycle route now.

and of course from the beach in Houlgate the BF ship in Ouistreham is visible.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

Le Havre town centre is strikingly beautiful but the port is just a port and nowt special (although the area around the old CGT gare maritime is interesting to explore.)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Yes, Dives Sur Mer has the medieval Architecture and Houlgate and Cabourg have the great beaches and Belle Epoque buildings. There are superb restaurants in all 3 towns & I can walk to them all. There is even a decent cycle route now.

and of course from the beach in Houlgate the BF ship in Ouistreham is visible.

We had a great holiday in Houlgate. Our then 21 month old loved the beaches and we enjoyed both the towns and the Second World War sites. Last summer my brother and his family had a great holiday in the area staying at Camping de la Vallee on my recommendation after one of the children asked to visit Normandy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elaine80 said:

You compare the 6th largest industrial port in Europe (like Rotterdam, Anvers, Marseille...) to the marina of Dives sur Mer !

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, LHCity said:

You compare the 6th largest industrial port in Europe

And there we have it, it is an industrial port, my comment was about the oil tanks that can be seen by the naked eye 18 miles away together with the twin towers of a massive coal fired power station. Having said that, I would be very happy for a low frequency service to continue at Le Havre. The context of Dives Sur Mer is that is where I am and it is a view I get from an old Medieval Town.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

And there we have it, it is an industrial port, my comment was about the oil tanks that can be seen by the naked eye 18 miles away together with the twin towers of a massive coal fired power station. Having said that, I would be very happy for a low frequency service to continue at Le Havre. The context of Dives Sur Mer is that is where I am and it is a view I get from an old Medieval Town.

As Portsmouth is a military port, Southampton is an industrial port... everyone finds an attraction in it. The advantage is that in Le Havre there are many ships of all sizes. For the ship enthusiast I am it's a treat. In France we are not ashamed of the industry, because unlike In England, we have not made the choice of deintustrialization.

In a few years you won't see the oil tanks since Dives sur Mer. The extension of container terminals, which have just begun work, will mask the tanks.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LHCity said:

The extension of container terminals, which have just begun work, will mask the tanks.

But they will never mask the petro-chemical pong though...😳🤣

Chris

ps for LHC, pong = ça pue, ça sent mauvais, ça schlingue, (even though your English is generally far better than our French!)