The Future of Le Havre as a Ferry Port

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

it would be good if BF will tell us their plans and put us out if our misery, I note that the Poole Bilbao route is not scheduled yet as well.

they always say to wait and check schedules regularly on their website.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They only provide subsidy to ferry companies that don’t have Ferries.

In fact this thread has had more traffic in the last 18 hours than Le Havre has had all year. Ed. 

Ramsgate is looking for ferries as well as Le Havre. Is that a possible business opportunity for the ill fated Seaborne freight company, or for Mr Eiamunk who entertained persuasively for many months

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

But they will never mask the petro-chemical pong though...😳🤣

Chris

ps for LHC, pong = ça pue, ça sent mauvais, ça schlingue, (even though your English is generally far better than our French!)

Not frequently used and argotic but funny: ça klaxonne

Gosh - another reminiscence. Cut grass takes me to Stoodleigh in north Devon. The sound of church bells (a proper peal) takes me to my childhood home in Castle Cary. The smell of sea fog and the wail of the Casquets foghorn to another island - but seeing the name Houlgate is something special. When I was at university in Caen, any special occasion at all was marked by a trip to Houlgate to the ice cream parlour. Oh what exotic luxury it seemed and how I envied all my french student friends there who took it for granted.

Thanks for the memory . . .

• Like 2

I do not understand the antithesis to Le Havre as a city and port. Industrial cities have a charm. The city has many fine features. There are coastal and rural areas nearby that are attractive. It is probably the best BF port for trips to Paris and southern Europe. Personally I have used the port for such trips and I find the overnight timings better than other routes. The 'economy' ferries offer a satisfactory service.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, westy said:

Personally I have used the port for such trips and I find the overnight timings better than other routes. The 'economy' ferries offer a satisfactory service.

Totally agree, when it is not running extra sailings due to government contracts, the overnight timetable is excellent and I use it in preference to Ouistreham, the trouble is that it is the first route to get mucked about with if it suits BF. 

30 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Totally agree, when it is not running extra sailings due to government contracts, the overnight timetable is excellent and I use it in preference to Ouistreham, the trouble is that it is the first route to get mucked about with if it suits BF. 

I fully understand your point of view. It's very convenient to have a night crossing that doesn't happen too early. However, when you are French it is more convenient to arrive early. For example, I often spend the Week End in England. I take the night boat on Friday evening (Le Havre - Portsmouth) and I come back by the Sunday evening night boat (Portsmouth - Le Havre). When the boat arrives earlier it allows you to go to work immediately afterwards without losing half a day's work.

I personally found last year's enhanced schedules very convenient. In fact, this has resulted in increased passenger traffic (the only BF route growing last year)

Edited by LHCity
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 18:46, westy said:

I do not understand the antithesis to Le Havre as a city and port. Industrial cities have a charm. The city has many fine features. There are coastal and rural areas nearby that are attractive. It is probably the best BF port for trips to Paris and southern Europe. Personally I have used the port for such trips and I find the overnight timings better than other routes. The 'economy' ferries offer a satisfactory service.

Me too - and the verging on rude responses to those who wish to discuss it. I think perhaps the hostility is due to the underlying sound points that have been made and the recognition that the current status-quo is basically due to an accident of circumstance.

• Like 1

I personally think the comments on this thread are within the scope specified when this thread was set up and is defined on the first post in this topic.

Strong positive comments re the port have been balanced by strong negative ones. I don’t believe that there are any particularly rude ones that can’t be explained by language issues and if there is the remedy is to report it to the mods.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, David Williams said:

I personally think the comments on this thread are within the scope specified when this thread was set up and is defined on the first post in this topic.

Strong positive comments re the port have been balanced by strong negative ones. I don’t believe that there are any particularly rude ones that can’t be explained by language issues and if there is the remedy is to report it to the mods.

I guess we disagree then. It's the negative personal comments that I don't like.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

I guess we disagree then. It's the negative personal comments that I don't like.

I am not sure we do disagree, I would not support negative personal comments either. We should always be playing the ball and not the player.

I have been scrolling back and have not found any yet, if there are they can be removed by the mods. If I have made them I apologise & believe that I have made both positive and Negative comments re Le Havre which I have used on a number of occasions, I suspect that I have made more negative ones !

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

There was an interesting report on TF1 news just now about problems in Le Havre. It didn't concern the ferry port but the freight terminals. There is a 24-hour delay in getting containers from the river terminal to the ocean terminal (by train) and this won't be resolved for another 2 years. The unions are frustrated that Antwerp and Rotterdam are much more efficient in this regard and are taking business away from Le Havre. Clearly the unions haven't considered the other possibility! Ed

I am coming to the end of a lovely trip to Normandy. I have stood a number of times on the seafront at Cabourg and Houlgate. Looking left I could see the MSM or Normandie at Ouistreham, looking slightly right and ahead I could see the docks of Le Havre. I can’t believe that Le Havre is particularly important to BF,  especially as  in a couple of weeks they will stop using the last Brittany port for the winter.

Edited by David Williams
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

There was an interesting report on TF1 news just now about problems in Le Havre. It didn't concern the ferry port but the freight terminals. There is a 24-hour delay in getting containers from the river terminal to the ocean terminal (by train) and this won't be resolved for another 2 years. The unions are frustrated that Antwerp and Rotterdam are much more efficient in this regard and are taking business away from Le Havre. Clearly the unions haven't considered the other possibility! Ed

Indeed. Large project to build a cat flap in the south dike, to facilitate barges access to Port 2000 in all weather.

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What was the original French for that? Ed. 

Une Chatière :

This is the project for 2023 (125 Millions Euros) :

image.jpg

https://www.haropaports.com/fr/havre/concertation-aafp2000

https://www.paris-normandie.fr/actualites/economie/la-chatiere-du-havre-quel-est-donc-ce-projet-a-125-millions-d-euros-DD16262760

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 2

The French state (leading the major seaports) is absolutely not a strategist. The French state has spent billions of euros on the construction of new port terminals, but has not seen fit to plan its access... this is despite the insistence of local professionals. 15 years lost!   If the French Line has disappeared in 1974, it is because the French state was a shareholder. This company was very poorly run. Same with SNCF. The French railway is totally in disrepair. Behind the TGV, the railway is totally decadent.

I laugh when I hear about Freight rail link from Cherbourg when we are not even able to serve the folds large French port. I'm betting that this rail link will never see the light of day.

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, LHCity said:

OK, perhaps 'cut-through' or 'access channel' might be a better translation. 

Ed