Sign in to follow this  
Nick Hyde

New Steam Packet vessel

Sorry managed to create a duplicate topic. There were problems with the internal server.

Posted (edited)

She looks a little like something Noddy would go on holiday on but rather attractive nevertheless.

In fact Playmobil should probably sue the designers.

Ed. 

2_PM6978.jpg

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

She looks a little like something Noddy would go on holiday on but rather attractive nevertheless.

In fact Playmobil should probably sue the designers.

Ed. 

2_PM6978.jpg

Also the new vessel reminds me of the Norman Leader design.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Screenshot_20200731-165856_Chrome.jpg

Nice one Nick. Two similar for the C.I's perhaps?

How about a new livery with the black yellow & red of Condor shaped the same as the BF insignia over a white hull? There also could be scope to offer a few swanky cabins overlooking the stern in a similar way to Galicia for a luxurious overnighter to Guernsey or Jersey.

Now there's a thought... A Bergerac suite with John Nettles pillow cases!😄

Steve's niferrysite has an article on this positive news too.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/new-isle-of-man-ferry-ordered/

• Haha 1

View from astern.

image.png.7ee7f30e4d41444f0617db07fe8704f3.png

Presumably being designed for Heysham gives her that stacked-up look but she seems to have much larger, proper passenger spaces which will be a massive improvement on the rather grim current vessel.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

And a Hungerford lounge where white linen suits are de rigour and there's a humidor by the door as you enter. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NIferrysite suggests a length of around 140m which makes her too long for The CIs I think but presumably there is some scope for limited design changes. Ed  

2 hours ago, jonno said:

Nice one Nick. Two similar for the C.I's perhaps?

How about a new livery with the black yellow & red of Condor shaped the same as the BF insignia over a white hull? There also could be scope to offer a few swanky cabins overlooking the stern in a similar way to Galicia for a luxurious overnighter to Guernsey or Jersey.

Steve's niferrysite has an article on this positive news too.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/new-isle-of-man-ferry-ordered/

Yes Jonno it'd be great if Condor could invest in vessels like this. I worry however Covid has put back their capital fleet replacement plans back a bit. IOM Steam Packet now have the benefit of having the Manx Government as shareholders. 

If Condor could order a vessel that had room for 350 cabin berths (Clipper has 160) and decent onboard public rooms that'd be perfect.

• Like 2

Any comparison of capacity against what's currently in place?

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Any comparison of capacity against what's currently in place?

They say substantially more passenger capacity. Ben at the moment has about 500 seats and 80 cabin berths. Something like 650 pax and crew certificate. The new ship looks like it could at least take 1,000. Where does this leave the fast ferry service? Will it close?

Why would it?  The fast ferry serves different routes (including to Ireland).  It all sounds very positive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Why would it?  The fast ferry serves different routes (including to Ireland).  It all sounds very positive.

They are going to need that fast ferry. If the Covid IOM-GUERNSEY bubble is all they've got in terms of tourism they'll need the fastest possible ship to link the two. Even with an Incat the passage time is going to be well over 12 hours. 😱 Ed. 

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They are going to need that fast ferry. If the Covid IOM-GUERNSEY bubble is all they've got in terms of tourism they'll need the fastest possible ship to link the two. Even with an Incat the passage time is going to be well over 12 hours. 😱 Ed. 

You'll be aiming for Le Havre next, Ed ;)

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

There was talk a few years back of ordering two conventionals to replace Ben and Mannanan. I still don't think any decision has been made on the long term continuation of the fast ferry service. Surveys carried out a year back lent support to the fast ferry option staying but ferry operating economics may lead to a different investment decision. The new Liverpool terminal will be able to take a ro ro but without a decent freight marshalling area. Also the significant increase in capacity with the new ship is way above existing demand for conventional sailings when there is a fast ferry option so the increased capacity maybe because they are scaling down the fast ferry option. 

I don’t think it really matters whether the second vessel is an HSC or a ship.  But I do think it is important that the IOMSP retains (at least) 2 vessels.  It would be a sad day if that once proud and mighty company was reduced to a single vessel operation (and either regularity or route network would suffer).

Supposedly on delivery of the third ship they will revert to a three ship fleet with the Ben-my-Chree retained as a backup/overhaul cover/available for extra sailings at the TT period (/maybe available to charter to Condor as refit cover?).

• Like 2

There will be a New Fast Craft Delivered and in Service no later than 2027. 

Whether the Company decides on New Build or a Used Craft, heavily Refurbished, depends on a number of factors. Mainly the Economy and the Market. 2027 is latest, but if we can find another Manannan before then...

It is a fantastic design but why the need for such extensive amount of cabins for such a short crossing with rather unappealing crossing times, especially overnight?

27 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

It is a fantastic design but why the need for such extensive amount of cabins for such a short crossing with rather unappealing crossing times, especially overnight?

How many cabins will there be? I thought like Ben, the new ship would be predominantly have daytime lounge seating areas.

6 hours ago, Manannan said:

There will be a New Fast Craft Delivered and in Service no later than 2027. 

Whether the Company decides on New Build or a Used Craft, heavily Refurbished, depends on a number of factors. Mainly the Economy and the Market. 2027 is latest, but if we can find another Manannan before then...

By which I assume you mean you'd like NEX. Good plan. BF could charter her out. Or would you prefer Liberation while NEX goes to Condor instead? Ed. 

18 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

NIferrysite suggests a length of around 140m which makes her too long for The CIs I think but presumably there is some scope for limited design changes. Ed  

Max on the Douglas Ro Ro linkspan is a length overall of 139m and a 6m draft, from bow tip to stern doors you're probably roughly looking at a 135m ship.

11 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Ben my Chree only has berths for around 80 - 100 passengers, I think she has about 25 cabins. So far there is no information on how many cabins the new vessel will have but there is a need for increased passenger space, 800/900 pax overall during peak times, this means larger public areas for cafe's, bars etc. I'd also suggest that travellers are becoming more trip savvy and enjoy their own personal space found in a cabin whether travelling by day or overnight.

During the TT  the IOMSP could need both the new build & BmC. 

Concerning the HSC I have a feeling that INCAT will be approached for a new larger more feral beast similar to what Molslinjen use and the younger much talked about NEX will replace Condor's Rapide.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Douglas can cope with slightly longer ships, it's Heysham which is the absolute limiting factor - the Heysham-max Seatruck FSG-built and P classes are 142m in length so I'd assume the newbuild would match.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 1

St Helier port website states that the roro berths can accommodate up to length 136m.  I suspect St Peter Port is less, but I can’t find the equivalent information.

25 minutes ago, Gareth said:

St Helier port website states that the roro berths can accommodate up to length 136m.  I suspect St Peter Port is less, but I can’t find the equivalent information.

I think St Peter Port and St Helier have the same limitations. Also Guernsey has the advantage of not being restricted by low tides. The amount of times the Clipper's schedules are adjusted because of Jersey's tidal range is quite significant. Plus Guernsey have more proactive and advanced blueprints for a harbour extension.

• Like 1