Sign in to follow this  
Nick Hyde

New Steam Packet vessel

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

St Helier port website states that the roro berths can accommodate up to length 136m.  I suspect St Peter Port is less, but I can’t find the equivalent information.

59 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

I think St Peter Port and St Helier have the same limitations. Also Guernsey has the advantage of not being restricted by low tides. The amount of times the Clipper's schedules are adjusted because of Jersey's tidal range is quite significant. Plus Guernsey have more proactive and advanced blueprints for a harbour extension.

This is what UK Ports have for Jersey:

River/Tidal Berths
Max depth: 6.0m (ro-ro)
Max size of vessel accepted:
beam: 25m; LOA: 130m (ro-ro);
draft: 5.8m
No of berths: 9 incl passenger
Berths total length: 800m

For Douglas:

River/Tidal Berths
Max Dept: 6m
Max size of vessel accepted:
Beam: 25m; LOA: 139 m; Draft: 6m
No of berths: 9
Berths total length: 900md

The Guernsey figures are no longer available on their site but they can't any less or more than St Helier. What is interesting is the decision to go ahead with the bunded inert waste infill scheme which will create a 160 metre jetty and 70,000 sqm of land for the Seafront Enhancement Group. The Harbour Master is keen to relocate both ro-ro ramps. a late 2019 States of Deliberation statement said the scheme will take 4 years. 

• Like 2

This is where I got the 136m figure for for St Helier:

https://www.ports.je/jerseyharbours/commercial/openingservicesfacilities/

Two ro-ro berths

The two ro-ro berths are on the east side of the main harbour. Both berths can accommodate vessels of up to 136 metres and have a dredged sump depth of 6 metres.

As far as St Peter Port is concerned, it certainly used to be the case that St Helier was more restrictive, when the ferry port was inside the harbour.  I’m not so sure now, with the ferry port in its “new” position.  But I’d be surprised if St PP can go up to 130m plus without blocking the whole harbour?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gareth said:

This is where I got the 136m figure for for St Helier:

https://www.ports.je/jerseyharbours/commercial/openingservicesfacilities/

Two ro-ro berths

The two ro-ro berths are on the east side of the main harbour. Both berths can accommodate vessels of up to 136 metres and have a dredged sump depth of 6 metres.

As far as St Peter Port is concerned, it certainly used to be the case that St Helier was more restrictive, when the ferry port was inside the harbour.  I’m not so sure now, with the ferry port in its “new” position.  But I’d be surprised if St PP can go up to 130m plus without blocking the whole harbour?

There is a design where an east arm would be added outside the main harbour at St Peter Port. This would accommodate longer ferries.

Just now, Gareth said:

Looks a bit exposed Nick - especially to southerlies and south easterlies.

Yep i guess you have a point. Further north there is the land reclamation alongside St Sampsons by the oil storage terminal. At Longue Hougue. That is another possible location for an expanded ferry port.

13 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

By which I assume you mean you'd like NEX. Good plan. BF could charter her out. Or would you prefer Liberation while NEX goes to Condor instead? Ed. 

Lol no not quite. She is now 15 Years Old, having been in regular service throughout her career. Manannan had spent a lot of time in Port, during her US Navy Career, whilst never really laid up. I.e Maintenance was always being carried out whilst not in Service. She was never really laid up cold. Her engines had very little running hours compared to Vessels of comparable age. 

Condor Liberation, when she was in the Shipyard looking for a buyer, could have been a candidate. A Trimaran is a possibility, the Fred Olsen example was looked at whilst searching for Manannan. Anyway, enough about the CI, I thought this thread was for the IoMSPC Newbuild...

We know another Manannan situation will be rare though, everything fell into place at the right moment.  

Edited by Manannan

2 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Yep i guess you have a point. Further north there is the land reclamation alongside St Sampsons by the oil storage terminal. At Longue Hougue. That is another possible location for an expanded ferry port.

That's what has been given the go ahead, mentioned in my post above. Hope fully you'll have more success finding the links or the information.

On 01/08/2020 at 14:24, Gareth said:

St Helier port website states that the roro berths can accommodate up to length 136m.  I suspect St Peter Port is less, but I can’t find the equivalent information.

Chop a bit off the Barfleur. Perfect :)

• Haha 1