Sign in to follow this  
MichaelBF

Migrants found in Plymouth

Well at least they were found and thankfully they are all still healthy.

• Like 2

Well at least they were found and thankfully they are all still healthy

And yet another burden on UK taxpayers. They've travelled up through several European countries and should have claimed asylum at the first one they reached (if indeed they qualified for asylum and were not economic migrants). Why is it that they see the UK as such a soft touch?

And why is it they are usually young active males?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

And yet another burden on UK taxpayers. They've travelled up through several European countries and should have claimed asylum at the first one they reached (if indeed they qualified for asylum and were not economic migrants). Why is it that they see the UK as such a soft touch?

And why is it they are usually young active males?

They still think this is the land of milk and honey and believe everything they are told by those they are paying. 

• Like 2

Just now, Khaines said:

They still think this is the land of milk and honey and believe everything they are told by those they are paying. 

Yep I suppose crossing the English Channel on a paddle boat is something you just do on a whim.

4 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

When I've seen migrant groups hanging round near Calais and Caen, I have to say  I've never seen girls or children with them I assume the girls travel the boat route and not the ferry?

• Like 1

Yes, I agree they are desperate to reach the UK but what is so wrong with Italy, Germany France etc.which I would consider to be civilised countries?

The UK is seen as as the Holy Grail. - Why? Because we have a reputation of feather bedding them? Or because they can 'disappear' onto their ethnic communities here

• Like 3

Germany accepts massively more migrants than the uk it’s one of the reasons Angela Merkels popularity dipped.

• Like 1

Yes, Merkel's popularity dipped, because it was probably a bad decision and encouraged econonic migrancy.

It is one thing to accommodate the truly oppressed who are being individually targeted in their honelands but there seems to be wave upon wave of economic migrants who want to tap into a better life in Europe. Whilst this is understandable it is not sustainable and most of them seem to be happy to pass on through intermediate countries to reach the UK which, as Khaines suggests, is regarded as the land of milk and honey.

Somehow, someway these people need to make their own countries work. It is the only long term solution. How much responsibility we should accept fot assisting this is certainly a moot point.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Yep I suppose crossing the English Channel on a paddle boat is something you just do on a whim.

I understand that it was the Amorique.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I understand that it was the Amorique.

17 k people drown every year trying to find a safe place yo live.

• Sad 1

I accept there are many personal tragedies but  there must be literally millions of people in Africa  who would like to emigrate to Europe in search of better living condirtions but that simply cannot happen.

Ultimately the only answer is to improve the living conditions where they are. Whilst there is much to criticise about China politics you have to acknowledge that the country has made huge strides in improving the living conditions of the average citizen. Similar improvements could happen elsewhere given the political will. In the meantime small geographical countries such as the UK cannot absorb the potential demand and costs for people looking for a new life elsewhere,

If the UK is not that important as a final destination then why do migrants make such intensive and dangerous effors to get here?

How much of this is traffickers getting them over here to work in sweat shops or similar, are they told get here and we'll give you work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Solo said:

How much of this is traffickers getting them over here to work in sweat shops or similar, are they told get here and we'll give you work.

Sadly that is very likely to be the case. Rather than being hostile to immigrants, the government should be targeting the rogue landlords and employers who make millions from the illegal trafficking of some of the world's most vulnerable people. 

• Like 1

China has re education centres for people of certain religions and no doubt the fear of being shot yourself and your family murdered has more to do with the lack of people leaving there as migrants rather than getting an extra £5 a week wages.

Posted (edited)

China has re education centres for people of certain religions and no doubt the fear of being shot yourself and your family murdered has more to do with the lack of people leaving there as migrants rather than getting an extra £5 a week wages.

I don't think we are seeing migrants from China are we? Quite agree that China is behaving abhorrently with regards to their minorities but most of the migrants we are seeing in the UK are coming from Africa.

The world is a messy and often cruel place as has always been the case and I don't see that changing anytime soon. But we cannot simply open our borders to anyone who feels they might be better off here and at UK taxpayer expense. There needs to be criteria for accepting migrants other than the ablity to pay somebody a lot of money for a rubber boat.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I don't think we are seeing migrants from China are we? Quite agree that China is behaving abhorrently with regards to their minorities but most of the migrants we are seeing in the UK are coming from Africa.

The world is a messy and often cruel place as has always been the case and I don't see that changing anytime soon. But we cannot simply open our borders to anyone who feels they might be better off here and at UK taxpayer expense. There needs to be criteria for accepting migrants other than the ablity to pay somebody a lot of money for a rubber boat.

Simple, put them back on The Amorique and send them back to France, no iffs or buts.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pastiche said:

Simple, put them back on The Amorique and send them back to France, no iffs or buts.

There is no good reason not to return them immediately to France. A safe country indeed for them.What is lacking is a political will to enforce the rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

There is no good reason not to return them immediately to France. A safe country indeed for them.What is lacking is a political will to enforce the rules.

I would guess you have more chance of winning The National Lottery than getting The Home Secretary to enforce any rules.

• Like 1

It’s a little disappointing on here to read on here some rather un-sympathic and borderline xenophobic comments... 

As someone on here who has had to fish out the bodies of migrants from the sea during Operation Mare Nostrum, your thoughts may change, especially if you got balanced and well informed information from media outlets other than the Plymouth Herald/Daily Mail.

I urge people To be more considerate about what one says on here, at the end of the day, this is a ferry enthusiast forum, not a Party-Political-broadcast for the BNP/UKIP.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

To follow on what @daves_pad!has said - please keep this thread on topic. I know this can relate to a wider political issue on which people will have a view, but there's no need to enter into hostile debate around it here please.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If people want to buy a shirt for £5* and think its neat to buy a gadget from China for less than  it would cost to post it here or don't wonder just why strawberries are available cheaper than they have ever been then they are part of the problem. Someone somewhere is being exploited and probably being trafficked, though admittedly not always to here. That the government's quarantine exemption list  included fruit pickers was just one more scandal that needs investigating. You don't have to go far from here to see the gang-masters at work, and the whole revolting system red in tooth and claw and this is rural southern England within sight of a cathedral spire. It is an absolute disgrace but, like the reality of the rag trade has always been, it is tolerated. One fears by some economists  it is even  viewed as the market working efficiently. 

*(At today's prices a two pack of standard plain white shirts that retailed at M&S for about £10 in 1980 should be £60. Primark? £8 each.) 

Edited by Millsy

11 hours ago, Solo said:

A lot find out that they will have to work hard labour to pay the money back the traffickers say they owe for getting them over.  I don’t think they pay up front, there are very few who can afford to pay so they are often tricked into coming over to work under the control of gangmasters and crime syndicates and they are effectively slaves and the debt is NEVER paid back.  Sometimes these migrants end up cramped dozens to a room where they sleep.  Food is sparse and sanitary facilities also inadequate.  This is where these folk often end up if they do make it.  And usually working in restaurant/takeaway kitchens as an example.

• Like 1