Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MichaelBF

Migrants found in Plymouth

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm not stupid enough to get into a discussion about the rights and wrongs in all this as there has been more than one side to every argument since life began on earth. I do get mildly annoyed however by people who in one breath post about the time it gets takes to get through port immigration checks (whether in France, the UK or both), and in the next are indignant when a few migrants slip through the net. Yes it's frustrating, espcially when you have a long drive ahead but you can't have it both ways....

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that not many people stow away in private cars so surely more time spent xraying or using oxygen sensors on lorries would be appropriate and obviously having sufficient customs staff to do the job efficiently and safely should be a given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The word "found" in the thread title doesn't convey to me that there was a problem with the detection systems in this case.  Sound to me like the officials very much did "do the job" properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I suspect that not many people stow away in private cars so surely more time spent xraying or using oxygen sensors on lorries would be appropriate and obviously having sufficient customs staff to do the job efficiently and safely should be a given.

Neil I can assure you that on at least 4 different occasions while arriving into Portsmouth last year vehicles near or around me revealed someone squeezed into the boot - on one occasion there were 2 in the French car right in front of me!

Last Sunday evening we arrived there on Connemara and PIP was heaving with Border Force officers, a considerable number of vehicles awaiting to be checked in the sheds which is not usually the norm.

Chris

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously migrants in cars don’t make good copy for the newspapers I wasn’t aware it was such an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

The word "found" in the thread title doesn't convey to me that there was a problem with the detection systems in this case.  Sound to me like the officials very much did "do the job" properly.

You would have hoped they would have been found on the other side of the channel or better still not got into the lorry in the first place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We crossed from Larne to Cairnryan on Monday and they were checking cars there. The boot of my Zafira was piled to within a couple of inches of the rooflining so I was concerned that they might ask me to open the boot but thankfully they didn't. There was a box van in front of me at check-in and it was thoroughly checked inside and underneath. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went on a day trip to St Malo in January (BFE offer). On the return we were searched and asked to open the boot. The look on the officers face when he found it totally empty was a picture. He then gave a shrug and waved us on. All luggage had been left in the cabin

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it not boil down to lack of security at the departing ports? Or is the lack of concern of the French security and border police come into it? Let's be honest it is in the papers and tv about the French coastguard neigh on escorting people over the channel .to me the French just want to get rid of the migrants off there shores and who can blame them?would you want hoards of people wandering around your towns and villages and all times of day and night?i can see if there is no agreement with the eec the flood gate will open after 31 December.remember they know if they get over to the uk and get arrested they then get bail(what a joke) and they can just disappear into the large towns and cities.stay safe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Does it not boil down to lack of security at the departing ports? Or is the lack of concern of the French security and border police come into it? Let's be honest it is in the papers and tv about the French coastguard neigh on escorting people over the channel .to me the French just want to get rid of the migrants off there shores and who can blame them?would you want hoards of people wandering around your towns and villages and all times of day and night?i can see if there is no agreement with the eec the flood gate will open after 31 December.remember they know if they get over to the uk and get arrested they then get bail(what a joke) and they can just disappear into the large towns and cities.stay safe

Just to be clear, the "escorting" stuff was and is a lie propogated by Farage and far right media outlets. In the instance Farage was citing, the French ship was following international law.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nodwad said:

I can see if there is no agreement with the eec the flood gate will open after 31 December.

I’m not sure what “agreement” you are referring to, but the only agreement I am aware of being negotiated is to do with trade.  I am not aware that migration is on the table in those negotiations from either side.  So I don’t see what there being or not being an agreement after 31 December has to do with the topic of this thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that the UK has a spineless government which is afraid to do anything about the problem for fear of being labeled racist.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mpojacarman said:

The problem is that the UK has a spineless government which is afraid to do anything about the problem for fear of being labeled racist.

 

I don’t think that this government is worried about that label.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The anti migration agreement we have with France is nothing at all to do with the EU or Brexit negotiations. It is a separate bilateral arrangement.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nodwad said:

would you want hoards of people wandering around your towns and villages and all times of day and night?

No. But there isn't much we can do to stop the English coming to Cornwall.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion the absence of compulsory ID cards in the UK, unlike in all EU countries, is part of the attraction for the migrants. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crechbleiz said:

In my opinion the absence of compulsory ID cards in the UK, unlike in all EU countries, is part of the attraction for the migrants. 

Not compulsory in Ireland .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gareth said:

I’m not sure what “agreement” you are referring to, but the only agreement I am aware of being negotiated is to do with trade.  I am not aware that migration is on the table in those negotiations from either side.  So I don’t see what there being or not being an agreement after 31 December has to do with the topic of this thread?

What I mean is if we do not get a deal done with eu,that will mean we have no say at all with the French or anyother eu country.so they can just turn a blind eye to what's is starting to be a tusami of migrants to our shores and we will helpless to stop it.i think you will understand pro Europe or a brexiteer will know this.by you saying the date has nothing to do about this thread baffles me.no criticism ment .just one last point does anyone out there think if it was the other way round ie migrants wanting to get to France .we would try and stop them honestly?in other words that is exactly what the French French are doing.can I say I do not want to upset anyone in my views and if I do I apologise unreservedly.stay safe

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, nodwad said:

what's is starting to be a tusami of migrants to our shores

No, it really isn't.

You might want to look at the people who are giving you that false impression however and wonder what their motivation is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nodwad said:

By you saying the date has nothing to do about this thread baffles me

It’s just a fact.  What’s being discussed between the UK and the EU for 1 January is a free trade deal.  Nothing to do with migration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it not part of the EU, in which migrants register in the first EU Member State, that they get too, which would mean to me that when the UK, is out of the EU, they can then send them back under any new rules the UK, put's in place. ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nothing new. Migrants have been coming across the channel for the last two thousand years - Romans, Saxons, Vikings, Normans...and Queen Victoria and her husband too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eddies said:

Is it not part of the EU, in which migrants register in the first EU Member State, that they get too, which would mean to me that when the UK, is out of the EU, they can then send them back under any new rules the UK, put's in place. ??

It's not quite as straightforward as that, as far as I understand it. A claim for Asylum can only be made in one EU member state (including the UK during the transition period until the end of this year), and that state is not necessarily the first at which an individual arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim said:

It's not quite as straightforward as that, as far as I understand it. A claim for Asylum can only be made in one EU member state (including the UK during the transition period until the end of this year), and that state is not necessarily the first at which an individual arrives.

Jim that was my thinking and I think after 31 December the French will turn a blind eye to all of the migrants launching there dingeys.to try and get to the uk then apply for political asylum .knowing full well that they will get bail and then disappear without trace.our border police are overwhelmed with the traffic now so god only knows what it is going to be like after this year.i don't know the answer to this chaos in which is going to happen to our shores.just glad I don't live on that part of the coast.stay safe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...