News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Feline Stowaways

AN UN’FUR’MILIAR ARRIVAL

Portsmouth International Port welcomed some unexpected passengers over the weekend in the form of two kittens.

The unlikely pair were found on the 'Normandie' arriving on Saturday 1 August, where Border Force officials discovered the cats had reached the UK with no official paperwork or pet passports.

The two undeclared kittens were given permission by authorities to spend a night in the kennels at the port, before being taken in to care by the Cat Welfare Group in Whiteley, where they will be quarantined for four months.

A different meaning to the word quarantine as to what we’re currently used to, the tiny two named ‘Coco and Chanel’ were relinquished by their owners and will be rehomed in four months’ time.

Pet sailings have become a popular choice for travellers over recent years, with Brittany Ferries now providing pet-friendly cabins and an increased number of kennels onboard. On average 100,000 cats and dogs travel to France and Spain every year with Brittany Ferries, however pet passports must be fully completed before allowing them to travel.

Requirements include an up to date microchip which will be scanned for at the port and proof of vaccination records. Advice and guidance on travelling with your four legged friends can be found on the Brittany Ferries and GOV.UK websites.

https://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/ne…/an-unfurmiliar-arrival

kittens_x2.jpg

They look like Savannah kittens - F2s or F3s.  F1s are banned in the UK.  Savannah moggies are domestic cats crossed with wild servals and their F status denotes how much serval to how much moggy.  F1s are half serval, but the others have the gene pool diluted enough to be allowed.  You don’t need a dangerous wild animal licence to keep them.  The ears are quite large on these in the photo which is a Savannah characteristic

Edited by Khaines
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, nottingham said:

I have large ears, to the extent that my school nickname was 'Wingnut'.  Do you think I have the serval gene?  Miaow!

No different to a couple of boys I went to school with in the 70s - they used to get asked if their mothers hung them on the washing line!

Me I was a fat kid - so just got called lard-ass and Fatso. Only thing I have in common with a cat is doing exactly what I like..😂

Edited by Khaines
23 hours ago, Khaines said:

They look like Savannah kittens - F2s or F3s.  F1s are banned in the UK.  Savannah moggies are domestic cats crossed with wild servals and their F status denotes how much serval to how much moggy.  F1s are half serval, but the others have the gene pool diluted enough to be allowed.  You don’t need a dangerous wild animal licence to keep them.  The ears are quite large on these in the photo which is a Savannah characteristic

They are only kittens. They always have big ears, but tend to grow into them, in my experience!