Pet passports after December 2020

What I have read and understand the pets passport scheme will just be the same has before ie valid passport,pet must be chipped and recorded on passport,must have up to date raibies jabs.or am I missing some thing?i used to do pet transport Spain/ France to uk for a number of years and my own dogs will be doing his 29 crossing early next year.fingers crossed the virus does not stop us.stay safe

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, nodwad said:

What I have read and understand the pets passport scheme will just be the same has before ie valid passport,pet must be chipped and recorded on passport,must have up to date raibies jabs.or am I missing some thing?

Nodwad, I regret to say that if your understanding is the pets passport scheme (per se) will still be valid on the 1st January 2021,  I would think again. I regularly flit across the channel between Normandy and Hampshire, occasionally with my 2 adorable mutts. As Paully so  rightly says, nothing has been negotiated yet and if we (the U.K.) don’t tick all the right boxes once an agreement finally gets hammered out - or not, then as I understand it you’ll need to inform your vet of your intention to travel to mainland Europe at least 3 months in advance. That might work in your case, knowing exactly what dates you intend to travel and assuming there is a pet friendly cabin on your sailing, but in mine no chance whatsoever. I have no idea which country I’ll be in 4 months down the line, never mind the dogs. 

I took them over last just before lockdown and asked both our local French vet and Mrs Darling our local vet in Emsworth the same question, what will happen next year? The reply was the same from both, absolutely no idea....

ps if anyone here has any more concrete information, we’re all ears...woof woof

Chris

Thank you but does the governments advice for pet travel after 31 December says if your dog has had is passport before a certain date there is no need to inform your vet about travel.?in any case I will contact defra for answer in case it is different to my interpretation of the rules.the reason I say this and I have said before I used to do pet transport and must of bought well over 200/300 dogs cats over to the uk.what I have read on the governments web site the only difference is the issuing date of pet passport.many thanks for the replies

8 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Thank you but does the governments advice for pet travel after 31 December says if your dog has had is passport before a certain date there is no need to inform your vet about travel.?in any case I will contact defra for answer in case it is different to my interpretation of the rules.the reason I say this and I have said before I used to do pet transport and must of bought well over 200/300 dogs cats over to the uk.what I have read on the governments web site the only difference is the issuing date of pet passport.many thanks for the replies

No, it depends on what category the EU puts the UK and they have not declared that yet.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

• Like 1

This whole thing is a minefield. Our French vet cannot understand what the problem is, we have less health issues than the French do. Our English vet could not help because no decisions have been made on the countries listing. In the worst case  scenario we will have to visit our English vet to get a signed health certificate to allow us to get the dog into France, the timings for this are on the .gov website. The health certificate will have to be completed each and every time we travel into France and this will be expensive.

However I was advised to get a French/Spanish issued passport for our dog. This came from a good reliable source and has been acted upon. The dogs chip has also been registered on the French database so his details can be accessed. The upside of this is in the UK the passport cost £70+ in France it cost €19.

I suspect sorting all this out will be low on the governments  agenda.   

Interesting reading but it is still a very grey area and nobody is 100 %sure what the rules are going to be.i have e mailed defra for there views on this subject and hope a proper answer will come shortly.i have spoken with defra a few times over my time transporting pets and have always found them up to date with any information .there even told me bf handling of pet passport was wrong but that is another story.when i get a reply I will post on web site.stay safe

I got a reply off defra and it was the same thing what paully got,when reading it it was as clear has smog.a few have said no decisions have been made yet on which category we are going to be put into.our dog passport was full and a few years back had to get a new one whilst we were in Spain so we hope this passport is ok.keithr sad this earlier on just hope he is right and have asked defra again on with our dog having a Spanish passport what criteria do we have to do.just imagine if there is no decision for another 3 or so months the chaos this is going to cause.thank for the replies 

Thinking back we used to have bits of paper issued by our Vet then while in Germany we had to obtain a proper Passport with stamps for worming and flea/tick treatment before returning to UK. After many more years travelling with BF to Santander the pages of our dogs Passport were full so we had to get a Spanish Passport in Malaga. Arriving at Santander for the return sailing we had both old and new Passports duly stamped however we were informed we had to attend a local Santander Vet to copy all the dates and details for his Rabies inoculations from the old book to the new one.... and of course a hefty charge to do this. Never understood why but hey that was Spain for you.... Wont be travelling again until a vaccine is available.

On 17/08/2020 at 22:33, KeithR said:

This whole thing is a minefield. Our French vet cannot understand what the problem is, we have less health issues than the French do. Our English vet could not help because no decisions have been made on the countries listing. In the worst case  scenario we will have to visit our English vet to get a signed health certificate to allow us to get the dog into France, the timings for this are on the .gov website. The health certificate will have to be completed each and every time we travel into France and this will be expensive.

However I was advised to get a French/Spanish issued passport for our dog. This came from a good reliable source and has been acted upon. The dogs chip has also been registered on the French database so his details can be accessed. The upside of this is in the UK the passport cost £70+ in France it cost €19.

We also have a dog who's currant passport is a Spanish one and his chip is registered in Spain.i have asked defra for any information on what keithr says and there response is zero ,so I asked again and got the same web page has if he had a English passport.in other words defra cannot answer this question .so if defra cannot answer this valid question what chance have us pet owners have?

4 minutes ago, nodwad said:

We also have a dog who's currant passport is a Spanish one and his chip is registered in Spain.i have asked defra for any information on what keithr says and there response is zero ,so I asked again and got the same web page has if he had a English passport.in other words defra cannot answer this question .so if defra cannot answer this valid question what chance have us pet owners have?

Our dog had a German Passport followed by a Spanish Passport and I registered his chip at our UK/IOM address... I am sure there is an option to add an alternative address as well and he was born in IOM

Edited by Manxscorpio

Getting a bit complicated nobody can give you a clear cut answer.i know defra web site says after December you may have to get a new passport and register with vets 4 months in advance WHY.?it does not take that long surely.i have e mailed the top dog at defra and have asked him questions about it.i will not hold my breath for a answer but you never know and if I do I will put it onto site.stay safe

2 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Getting a bit complicated nobody can give you a clear cut answer.i know defra web site says after December you may have to get a new passport and register with vets 4 months in advance WHY.?it does not take that long surely.i have e mailed the top dog at defra and have asked him questions about it.i will not hold my breath for a answer but you never know and if I do I will put it onto site.stay safe

Your dog requires a rabies blood test to check for antibodies. Your dog cannot travel for 3 months after this test. If the dog fails the test it will require a further rabies injection and cannot be retested for 30 days, hence the 4 months. The test results have to be entered into the passport. Sadly after the new year the EU will not accept a UK issued passport and the dog will need a health certificate supplied by a UK vet. As I understand it about 10 pages in French and English. It does sound expensive. My original source of the info re a French passport was a member of Defra staff in their call centre. This was back when Teresa May was trying to get her plan through Parliament. I was asked if I was a frequent traveller, which I was, and as such the advise was to get EU docs. The member of staff was adamant. My plan is to get UK docs for our first trip after Brexit but only offer the French paperwork and see if we get into France without trouble, if we do problem solved but we do have a back up. I should make it clear we do have a French property and our dog is registered at this address

24 minutes ago, KeithR said:

Your dog requires a rabies blood test to check for antibodies. Your dog cannot travel for 3 months after this test. If the dog fails the test it will require a further rabies injection and cannot be retested for 30 days, hence the 4 months. The test results have to be entered into the passport. Sadly after the new year the EU will not accept a UK issued passport and the dog will need a health certificate supplied by a UK vet. As I understand it about 10 pages in French and English. It does sound expensive. My original source of the info re a French passport was a member of Defra staff in their call centre. This was back when Teresa May was trying to get her plan through Parliament. I was asked if I was a frequent traveller, which I was, and as such the advise was to get EU docs. The member of staff was adamant. My plan is to get UK docs for our first trip after Brexit but only offer the French paperwork and see if we get into France without trouble, if we do problem solved but we do have a back up. I should make it clear we do have a French property and our dog is registered at this address

Many thanks for the info,I think I will do what you are doing,to be on the safe side .we might not need it but better safe than sorry.again many thanks.stay safe

This should all have been agreed, one way or another, by the Autumn and the UK classification would have been decided on. It is only really an issue for those planning on travelling before Easter as they may be too late to get the paperwork sorted before travel. It is not science, it is politics.

25 minutes ago, David Williams said:

This should all have been agreed, one way or another, by the Autumn and the UK classification would have been decided on. It is only really an issue for those planning on travelling before Easter as they may be too late to get the paperwork sorted before travel. It is not science, it is politics.

I hope you are correct but the government does not seem to have a great record on sorting things in plenty of time. Unfortunately we would in normal circumstances be travelling early in the new year so we do have to be organised. My advice to anyone hoping to travel with an animal after Brexit is get on with organising a rabies blood test now, it could take 4 months to get it sorted out. The details of the test can be entered in the passport for later use. If you do get an EU passport the issuing vet will just transfer all the details into the new passport. I do hope all this will be easy but I have my doubts. 

1 minute ago, KeithR said:

I hope you are correct but the government does not seem to have a great record on sorting things in plenty of time. Unfortunately we would in normal circumstances be travelling early in the new year so we do have to be organised. My advice to anyone hoping to travel with an animal after Brexit is get on with organising a rabies blood test now, it could take 4 months to get it sorted out. The details of the test can be entered in the passport for later use. If you do get an EU passport the issuing vet will just transfer all the details into the new passport. I do hope all this will be easy but I have my doubts. 

There was much uncertainty before January 2020 too, and we were going away in February so ended up getting the dog re-vaccinated against Rabies and having the blood tests done just to allow the appropriate time to pass. Despite being within a valid vaccination period, the vet stated that the blood test might not pick up the level of reading required and so it was best to have another jab.

@nodwad - it doesn't matter where your dog is registered, it's the rules for entering the countries you're travelling between. That said, there's no reason (apart from politics) why the UK can't remain a member of the pet passport scheme. Our dog originally came from Australia which is associated with the scheme and as such he didn't need to quarantine on arrival to the UK (DEFRA took four hours to fanny around with some paperwork at Heathrow, but that was it).

• Like 1

Our French vet who completed the new passport suggested it could be better if our dog was registered on the French chip data base. It did not affect the registration on the UK data base. The mad thing with all this is the fact that the passport scheme was started by the UK so dog owners could get their dogs back to the UK. It was taken into EU law and suddenly there is now a problem. I have no confidence this will be sorted ant time soon, best to get organised. 

On 17/08/2020 at 22:33, KeithR said:

Yes a minefield,I have just spoken to two vets at different practices and up to now they have no information off defra at all(does not surprise me)they agree that best way would for him to get a new rabies injection done on Thursday and blood test 30 days later.by then they hope the guidelines will be a lot clearer by then.what surprises me i knew more about it than them so even the vets are been kept in the dark about all of this.just hope by the time his blood tests are due we may have more clear direction.i even e mailed the Secretary of State about this and was fobbed off ie you are not one of my constituents so contact your local mp about it.i just wonder how many pet owners who are planning to travel post December know what rules may be on place? Just hope there will not be many changes.thank you for all the information been given to me .stay safe