Pet passports after December 2020

Many thanks I got sorted out,you have to have another rabies test(we got our dog another rabies injection just to make sure his antibodies were ok)the blood test came back ok.now we have to wait until new year to get his health form done by a home office vet.this we have already arranged because it has to be done within ten days of travel.now it is all down where we stand with travel restrictions.many thanks .stay safe

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a quick update on all this as I've been busy recently... Although I successfully got the 2 pooches to the UK, coming back to France was a completely different story as some of you suspected

That's red cheddar. I don't want no communist rubbish, no matter how cheap it is.  Ed

Thankfully not but it could have been a spanneriel in the works....🐕‍🦺😂

Posted Images

10 hours ago, wortley said:

Uncertainty is over. Pet Passports are finished. Tear them up.

TheEU is listing UK as a Part 2 country in their jargon.  For 2021 you need an Animal Health Certificate instead  - a ten page document issued and signed by a vet no more than ten days before travel, for a defined and stated point of entry into EU, and valid for just a single trip. 

Defra will tell you more. 

Maybe Boris has a "world beating" alternative , one that's not blue like the EU one.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Chef said:

Maybe Boris has a "world beating" alternative , one that's not blue like the EU one.

Form is linked, http://apha.defra.gov.uk/external-operations-admin/library/documents/exports/AHC09.pdf

Note that the vet needs to use the correct version for the EU country of entry, if you plan on going to Spain and end up in Brest, you have a problem !

In all seriousness I suspect this is nothing more than a backstop position, whilst the full pantomime is being played out in Brussels. The New Year reality, in the almost certain likelihood of a deal, is that the Status Quo remains. It should because it works. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chef said:

We knew about this a while ago,so we started to get all the necessary documents put together .the only thing to do now to get the health form filled out by a home office vet which we have already done sorted a appointment to do this .it is going cause many problems for pet owners mind you our dogs passport is a Spanish one and his chip is registered in Spain and the uk.which the vets in Spain say he does not need these extra things done.what I read he is correct but we decided go through everything just to make sure.many thanks stay safe

6 hours ago, David Williams said:

if you plan on going to Spain and end up in Brest, you have a problem !

I met some classic car owners who had booked to sail Plymouth - Santander. PA had a problem and they had to go to Roscoff and drive across France.

I think you will find out that you must keep your pet passports for future reference.remember the passport was introduced by the British goverment not eu.when we lived Spain I knew neighbours who fetched there dogs from Russia with no problems at all.like someone has already said I thing in a short time you may find we are back where we were with pets passports.stay safe

Whilst not being amongst those who blithely believe everything will be fine, nor am I of the opinion that the EU has any intention of being mean about issues like pets. The problem may lie in what individual states can decide without reference to an EU wide policy. Probably a hiatus period, then some civil servants will do what they do, and, without political posturing, look at alignment or equivalence measures, and this issue is not likely to be one where anyone has a real desire to drop standards. So, keep the passports, and I suspect you will be able to use them, or update them, once the muppets are not looking for headlines.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, colin said:

Whilst not being amongst those who blithely believe everything will be fine, nor am I of the opinion that the EU has any intention of being mean about issues like pets. The problem may lie in what individual states can decide without reference to an EU wide policy. Probably a hiatus period, then some civil servants will do what they do, and, without political posturing, look at alignment or equivalence measures, and this issue is not likely to be one where anyone has a real desire to drop standards. So, keep the passports, and I suspect you will be able to use them, or update them, once the muppets are not looking for headlines.

Iam in total agreement with you on this one.stay safe

20 hours ago, Admin said:

Some posts in this thread have been hidden in order to keep this thread on topic. Please remember to be respectful to others views when posting.

Thank you - never  gave a thought to the possibility of " causing any offence" when I posted!  Apologies.

I cannot see what the problem is here. Go to the vet within ten days of travel (make an appointment first) make sure your pets are healthy and then travel the route you planned. It's not as bad as all the scaremongerers are forecasting. The limit for travel with the pet is four months - this is no problem as people are saying, because as visitors we can only travel for three months anyway. There is far too much anti government posturing going on. If you follow the rules you will be fine, it's not rocket science.

• Like 2

The problem for pet owners is that the cost of taking a pet to France has increased as vets will obviously charge for the consultation, where I live it's about £40 or £50 consultation fee and extra for completing forms,  plus doing the rabies antibody test adds to the cost and they already need a consultation in France before they  return. So it means it is only worth taking a pet if you are staying a long time  - you also need to add in cost of adding pet to ticket too. Also it does mean spontaneous visits with pet in tow are no longer possible and there may be cases of family emergencies etc or problems finding kennels at short notice where it is desirable to take the pet with you.  Previously once the passport was bought with all jabs up to date it was gooid for a few years without all the extra expense and palaver,  Usually the pet cabins are over subscribed so I would expect more to become available now on the shorter routes. It is not a political or anti government issue rather  just cost and convenience.

😢

2 hours ago, DucdeNormandie said:

The problem for pet owners is that the cost of taking a pet to France has increased as vets will obviously charge for the consultation, where I live it's about £40 or £50 consultation fee and extra for completing forms,  plus doing the rabies antibody test adds to the cost and they already need a consultation in France before they  return. So it means it is only worth taking a pet if you are staying a long time  - you also need to add in cost of adding pet to ticket too. Also it does mean spontaneous visits with pet in tow are no longer possible and there may be cases of family emergencies etc or problems finding kennels at short notice where it is desirable to take the pet with you.  Previously once the passport was bought with all jabs up to date it was gooid for a few years without all the extra expense and palaver,  Usually the pet cabins are over subscribed so I would expect more to become available now on the shorter routes. It is not a political or anti government issue rather  just cost and convenience.

😢

Yes I agree,also you have to have rabies test and wait until test results come back and also you have to wait a number of days before you are allowed before travel.this can take up to three months to do all of this.so I think we have to hope the rules put us into the better category at a later date.rember it was the uk who introduced the pet passport not to prevent pets going abroad but to pre ent disease coming back into the country.the rest of eorope followed suit.stay

On 16/12/2020 at 10:53, muppetdodger said:

I cannot see what the problem is here. Go to the vet within ten days of travel (make an appointment first) make sure your pets are healthy and then travel the route you planned. It's not as bad as all the scaremongerers are forecasting. The limit for travel with the pet is four months - this is no problem as people are saying, because as visitors we can only travel for three months anyway. There is far too much anti government posturing going on. If you follow the rules you will be fine, it's not rocket science.

Well said

48 minutes ago, clivebeaver said:

Well said

Yes the rules have just changed but before that ,your pet had to have a rabies test then the health certificate done.doing that way takes a while to do.so if pet owners took the chance of that rule been changed good luck to them.i think you will find pet owners who are travelling in January would of been following them rules and not taking a chance of rule changes.stay safe

Plus my wife works in a vets and she says that if you are staying for longer the vets are recommending that when you get to France go to a vets and get a Euro pet passport for the animal that will apparently last for a few years. Not sure if this is possible but it is the advice their vets are giving.

4 hours ago, muppetdodger said:

Plus my wife works in a vets and she says that if you are staying for longer the vets are recommending that when you get to France go to a vets and get a Euro pet passport for the animal that will apparently last for a few years. Not sure if this is possible but it is the advice their vets are giving.

This what we were told also off a Spanish vet.our dog has eu(Spanish)passport and chip registered in Spain and the uk.and that is what he told us.we should be able just to show them his passport and he would be allowed  to travel.i don't know if this would get us past bf staff because half of the time they did not know the rules of the old system so what chance have we now..?to be on the safe side we decided to go through the system again just to make sure.stay safe