Pet passports after December 2020

Before the introduction of Pet Passports we followed the rules back in the day - i,e a health Certificate from a Vet and proof of Rabies vaccination. When we were travelling back to the UK through Germany we visited a Vet who completed a German (EU) Passport for our dog. Eventually this Passport ran out of pages for the Frontline and worming tablet stamps so we then had a Spanish (EU) Passport completed by the Spanish Vet. There was no problem obtaining an EU Passport for our pet.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a quick update on all this as I've been busy recently... Although I successfully got the 2 pooches to the UK, coming back to France was a completely different story as some of you suspected

That's red cheddar. I don't want no communist rubbish, no matter how cheap it is.  Ed

Thankfully not but it could have been a spanneriel in the works....🐕‍🦺😂

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Before the introduction of Pet Passports we followed the rules back in the day - i,e a health Certificate from a Vet and proof of Rabies vaccination. When we were travelling back to the UK through Germany we visited a Vet who completed a German (EU) Passport for our dog. Eventually this Passport ran out of pages for the Frontline and worming tablet stamps so we then had a Spanish (EU) Passport completed by the Spanish Vet. There was no problem obtaining an EU Passport for our pet.

We only changed ours to a Spanish passport when the uk one was full ,never thinking in few years later this may save us a few quid.stay safe

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Out of interest I’m on MSM this Saturday for a 2 week break, will have worked 19 days non stop by then and thought I would look into pet travel again - 15 days at €20 per day in the kennels here is quite an expense. I enquired at our local cabinet vétérinaire last week and apparently the old U.K. pet passports are still valid. I took my 2 in for their check up and tablet this morning, rabies vaccination was done before Christmas and so far it’s all looking good. 40 minutes later I had my COVID test, free with the carte vitale and mutuelle in France, £120 in Boots for the return trip (😫).

Whether they let us board on Saturday is a different matter but fingers crossed and for the foreseeable future (attention @nodwad) Brexit has yet to change anything, and I have an official bit of paper to prove it.

Chris

• Like 2

FW, I hope you have not been misinformed. The UK government website is saying that a pet passport issued in the EU is valid for for your travel from France to UK and back again, but that pet passports issued in the UK are not valid now.

15 minutes ago, wortley said:

FW, I hope you have not been misinformed. The UK government website is saying that a pet passport issued in the EU is valid for for your travel from France to UK and back again, but that pet passports issued in the UK are not valid now.

Well, my dog-sitting service comes in at 19€ a day. Or 1 pound of cheddar. 

Ed

• Haha 2
37 minutes ago, wortley said:

Well I’ll find out on Saturday morning won’t I Wortley.....

i have in front of me a document issued by the French ministry for food and agriculture that states explicitly that animals arriving into the U.K. for no commercial gain or reason will be subject to the same rules and regulations as prior to 01.01.2021. as long as they have a microchip (yes), have a pet passport (yes) have been vaccinated against rabies (yes) and a worm tablet up to 5 days before travel (yes). My vet checked with the authorities last week to confirm it would all work, BF sent the ‘welcome aboard’ email yesterday with pet procedure, and I have seen pets in cars on crossings post New Year. 
To be honest I wasn’t sure myself whether it would be allowed but I’ve taken all the precautions I can, asked all the correct people the right questions, now it’s fingers crossed ......🤞 

And Ed if you’re paying €19 for a pound of cheddar you’re going to the wrong supplier...😂

Chris

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Out of interest I’m on MSM this Saturday for a 2 week break, will have worked 19 days non stop by then and thought I would look into pet travel again - 15 days at €20 per day in the kennels here is quite an expense. I enquired at our local cabinet vétérinaire last week and apparently the old U.K. pet passports are still valid. I took my 2 in for their check up and tablet this morning, rabies vaccination was done before Christmas and so far it’s all looking good. 40 minutes later I had my COVID test, free with the carte vitale and mutuelle in France, £120 in Boots for the return trip (😫).

Whether they let us board on Saturday is a different matter but fingers crossed and for the foreseeable future (attention @nodwad) Brexit has yet to change anything, and I have an official bit of paper to prove it.

Chris

It is my understanding is that everything will be ok but your problem will be getting back into France. You will require a UK vet to issue a Animal Health Certificate up to 10 days before travel. I have been informed the way round this is to get a passport issued by a EU vet, this should permit trouble free travel back to France. Sadly for obvious reasons I have not found anyone who has returned to France with a  dog so as to whether this will work I do not know. I do know a AHC is 10 pages in English and French, at my vets it could well be expensive. In France the dogs passport cost €19. I will be really interested how you get on

12 minutes ago, KeithR said:

It is my understanding is that everything will be ok but your problem will be getting back into France. You will require a UK vet to issue a Animal Health Certificate up to 10 days before travel. I have been informed the way round this is to get a passport issued by a EU vet, this should permit trouble free travel back to France. Sadly for obvious reasons I have not found anyone who has returned to France with a  dog so as to whether this will work I do not know. I do know a AHC is 10 pages in English and French, at my vets it could well be expensive. In France the dogs passport cost €19. I will be really interested how you get on

Thanks Keith,

I’ll try my vet here again tomorrow morning to be doubly sure, but if I can take them back to the U.K. because suggested new rules haven’t yet been implemented I can’t see why there should be a problem in the opposite direction. Maybe I’m just being a stupid mutt.....

UK vets certainly seem to know how to charge though - our black cocker spaniel has perpetual teeth problems and had a few taken out 5 years ago, cost at Emsworth vet £550 plus x-rays, exactly the same procedure here last year cost €265 all in....

Chris

1 minute ago, Fine Whine said:

Thanks Keith,

I’ll try my vet here again tomorrow morning to be doubly sure, but if I can take them back to the U.K. because suggested new rules haven’t yet been implemented I can’t see why there should be a problem in the opposite direction. Maybe I’m just being a stupid mutt.....

UK vets certainly seem to know how to charge though - our black cocker spaniel has perpetual teeth problems and had a few taken out 5 years ago, cost at Emsworth vet £550 plus x-rays, exactly the same procedure here last year cost €265 all in....

Chris

If I may be so bold my advice would be to get your Vet to issue a EU passport I am sure it will help you in the long run. Our friend in France spoke to their vet who offered incorrct advice  based on information relevant june/july 2019.

• Thanks 1

Very interesting,I was told last year by the vet on Spain if you had a Eu issued pet passport it would be valid.He said it was the uk which introduced the pet passport and Europe followed suit and he could not seeing it any problem at all.i hope all goes well with your trip and will be interested to find out if it all went smoothly.stay safe

36 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Very interesting,I was told last year by the vet on Spain if you had a Eu issued pet passport it would be valid.He said it was the uk which introduced the pet passport and Europe followed suit and he could not seeing it any problem at all.i hope all goes well with your trip and will be interested to find out if it all went smoothly.stay safe

Thanks Nodwad, I’ll be very interested too.!

Our 2 pooches have a European United/Kingdom pet passport. My interpretation of all this is that apparently the can has been booted down the street for now so @Keithr surely all should run smoothly and to plan?

I’m half expecting the wheels to fall off between now and our arrival into PIP on Saturday...will let you know how it goes633C3DB9-7B42-4EF5-B0CE-61063E7D272D.thumb.jpeg.d481df8e3ee66d2cd415547e5eb81d6b.jpeg

Chris

40 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Thanks Nodwad, I’ll be very interested too.!

Our 2 pooches have a European United/Kingdom pet passport. My interpretation of all this is that apparently the can has been booted down the street for now so @Keithr surely all should run smoothly and to plan?

I’m half expecting the wheels to fall off between now and our arrival into PIP on Saturday...will let you know how it goes633C3DB9-7B42-4EF5-B0CE-61063E7D272D.thumb.jpeg.d481df8e3ee66d2cd415547e5eb81d6b.jpeg

Chris

I do hope so but with the amateurs running things well your guess is as good as anybodies. Our spaniel is really desparate to get to our house in Locarn, Brittany so we all hope all goes well. Please keep us all up to date on this, I really want this to work as easily as possible. I do think long term a French issued passport will be the answer. Time will tell. Stay safe and have a good journey 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, KeithR said:

I do hope so but with the amateurs running things well your guess is as good as anybodies. Our spaniel is really desparate to get to our house in Locarn, Brittany so we all hope all goes well. Please keep us all up to date on this, I really want this to work as easily as possible. I do think long term a French issued passport will be the answer. Time will tell. Stay safe and have a good journey 

That is what am thinking,brittany ferries staff are not very good when it comes to the pet travel rules.in any case everything's new now so hopefully everything will go smoothly.stay safe

9 hours ago, nodwad said:

That is what am thinking,brittany ferries staff are not very good when it comes to the pet travel rules.in any case everything's new now so hopefully everything will go smoothly.stay safe

That may apply to onboard staff Nodwad, but at ticket control they check pet passports with a tooth comb. My 2 have been regularly crossing the channel since 2011 and unless the required rules have been followed boarding will be denied. I’ve seen many frustrated/angry/often rude passengers stomping around Cherbourg terminal because they haven’t the correct pet paperwork and think it’s acceptable to take it out on the poor counter staff....pffff

I’m probably one of the very few people on here who have travelled regularly with BF since passenger services resumed last year, and despite the experience being different to what we’ve come to expect staff have been courteous, welcoming and incredibly helpful. I don’t know whether they are tested before/after each shift but keeping services running through this ghastly pandemic demands skill and meticulous attention to detail in keeping vessels safe, for both passengers and crew alike.

Chris

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

That may apply to onboard staff Nodwad, but at ticket control they check pet passports with a tooth comb. My 2 have been regularly crossing the channel since 2011 and unless the required rules have been followed boarding will be denied. I’ve seen many frustrated/angry/often rude passengers stomping around Cherbourg terminal because they haven’t the correct pet paperwork and think it’s acceptable to take it out on the poor counter staff....pffff

I’m probably one of the very few people on here who have travelled regularly with BF since passenger services resumed last year, and despite the experience being different to what we’ve come to expect staff have been courteous, welcoming and incredibly helpful. I don’t know whether they are tested before/after each shift but keeping services running through this ghastly pandemic demands skill and meticulous attention to detail in keeping vessels safe, for both passengers and crew alike.

Chris

I totally agree, in 5 years and 20+ crossings with our dog never once have we experienced anyone from BF who has not applied the rules absolutely to the letter. Every single time the same proceedure has been followed. This is in contrast to our friends who have had problems at the tunnel.

Keith

Coming through either Plymouth or Portsmouth my 2 get scanned every time, I think that's only right and proper whatever the rules are, dog smuggling is big business at the moment....

I went down to the BF desk in Cherbourg this morning and got the same reply as yesterday from the vet - the same rules in force before Brexit still exist post Brexit, despite what the government website may be saying and he said no problem at all for the return trip in a fortnight - time will tell. The only problem now is my Covid test hasn't come back yet, phoned the lab but it's being done in Paris and don't worry, it should come through this evening or at worst overnight....gggrrrrrrr!

Tomorrow is of course another day, will let you know how I get on

Chris

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Negative test result just come through, alarm set for 04h45 just in case but it doesn’t help the stress levels.....

Time to sit back and enjoy a glass of something white and fruity..

Cheers

Hope you have a safe trip. Please keep us up dated with the pet pasport situation it is important to us. Sadly it will be some time before we  are in France. I do wonder how bad our grass is.

Best wishes, stay safe.

Keith

26 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Negative test result just come through, alarm set for 04h45 just in case but it doesn’t help the stress levels.....

Time to sit back and enjoy a glass of something white and fruity.

Cheers

And enjoy something else white and fruity when you get home Chis !!

Colin

• Like 1
2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

And enjoy something else white and fruity when you get home Chis !!

Colin

Steady on Colin.....😂

Hope you and your lovely wife are well and I bet you can’t wait to get back to your idyllic Breton retreat. I still have a feeling that if the numbers keep going in the current direction life could be just a little bit easier once the socially distanced egg hunt is behind us - with caveats of course...

Chris