Pet passports after December 2020

16 hours ago, KeithR said:

Hope you have a safe trip. Please keep us up dated with the pet pasport situation it is important to us. Sadly it will be some time before we  are in France. I do wonder how bad our grass is.

Best wishes, stay safe.

Keith

Update on progress is - so far so good -. Alarm clock worked and I almost managed to achieve the 90 minute before departure check in time. 20 vehicles on deck 5 in total including 2 others with pets, I had their passports right up to date (as usual) and lights flashed green. I suggested to the girl in the booth that basically nothing has changed since Brexit, she replied yes. Is it going to stay that way? The same answer...(probably)

Le Douanier at passport control was friendly but spent almost 5 minutes checking my paperwork - proof of both French and U.K. addresses, reason for travel, where did I work, how long was I over for, polite but very thorough. I get the impression that unless you can tick all the boxes boarding could be denied.

It’s interesting though that I’m having to actually do this just to get the pet information.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a quick update on all this as I've been busy recently... Although I successfully got the 2 pooches to the UK, coming back to France was a completely different story as some of you suspected

That's red cheddar. I don't want no communist rubbish, no matter how cheap it is.  Ed

Thankfully not but it could have been a spanneriel in the works....🐕‍🦺😂

Posted Images

Safely back in Emsworth for 2 weeks and everything worked perfectly for future reference. I was closely monitored on both sides of the channel but I tick all the boxes and don’t need to self isolate. It will be interesting to see how the mutts fare on the return trip but my view is still that pet travel hasn’t changed for now....

Chris

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Update on progress is - so far so good -. Alarm clock worked and I almost managed to achieve the 90 minute before departure check in time. 20 vehicles on deck 5 in total including 2 others with pets, I had their passports right up to date (as usual) and lights flashed green. I suggested to the girl in the booth that basically nothing has changed since Brexit, she replied yes. Is it going to stay that way? The same answer...(probably)

Le Douanier at passport control was friendly but spent almost 5 minutes checking my paperwork - proof of both French and U.K. addresses, reason for travel, where did I work, how long was I over for, polite but very thorough. I get the impression that unless you can tick all the boxes boarding could be denied.

It’s interesting though that I’m having to actually do this just to get the pet information.

Chris

I may have missed something in your story but are you saying that the authorities are accepting travel to / from a second home?

Regrettably not Yorky, you must have a valid reason for travel and as I’m on the electoral roll in the U.K. where Mrs FW works, and I work in France and am resident there for tax purposes, then I’m allowed to travel. In contrast to a journalist recently returned from South Africa this week who apart from a cursory glance at her passport at Heathrow walked straight out, I had to provide detailed evidence of both residences including utility bills, and proof of employment in France, at Ouistreham yesterday morning and Pompey on arrival.

Which is of course how it should be to slow down this wretched virus. The surprise was getting the dogs over too, where despite threatening noises to make it more complicated at the end of last year effectively nothing has changed, for now.

Chris

• Like 2

David I will be all but self-isolating, but the fact I would normally travel on a weekly basis, now made almost impossible by having to get a negative Covid test in each direction means I’m still classed as travelling to and from work so am exempt, and have been for some time. It’s the statement I always put on the passenger locator form, Border Force officers here very happy with that explanation.

However if Mrs FW spent her usual weekend in France with me that would be different and would have to self isolate on her return here, where she lives and works.

Chris

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Chris, how did you get away without having to self isolate, I thought you had to go home weekly for that.

David

He bribed the immigration officials by offering one of his spare dogs. A nice Bordeaux Collie. 

Ed

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Just hope I am not denied boarding in 2 weeks time or will be completely in the Shih Tzu...🤪

Chris

Claim it's a business trip to meet a new suppler of Alsatian wines. If that fails you could end up in the cockapoo.

Edited by colinschandler
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update on all this as I've been busy recently...

Although I successfully got the 2 pooches to the UK, coming back to France was a completely different story as some of you suspected it would be. Despite assurances from our French vet and BF staff in Cherbourg to the contrary, you do need a UK pet health certificate to get them into the EU, which I didn't have 3 weeks ago and was refused boarding. Luckily as it's only a 10 minute dash back to Emsworth I managed to dump them off and get back - just - in time for the morning sailing. If I had missed that one then my 72 hour Covid test would have expired and I would have been in a real pickle.

I brought one back on Tuesday and it all worked fine, but it's £66 for each certificate. Plan D is go to the local vet tomorrow and get her pet passport changed to an EU version which in theory should solve the problem.

Out of interest PIP was swarming with Police/Border Force on Tuesday morning and searching most vehicles. The one parked behind me on MSM had a fixed penalty notice on the dashboard, the fact there were a couple and 3 kids inside means they were unlikely to be on a work related or essential trip.

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I also have an update. My dog travels on a French pet passport no problem you might think. Er no, the rabies jab expires early May and so we visited our uk vet to sort out his jab and then to get it entered into his passport. The vet informed us that as we have left the EU she is no longer able to enter those details in his EU issued passport and therefore to get him into France we will need a Animal Health Certificte. The vet did say that when we get to France (when?) we should visit our French vet and sort out the entries in the passport. Sadly the way things are going in France the dog might need another jab before we get back to our house in France. Our vet did quote the going rate for the AHC and that is £150, it is going to be a costly crossing next time. We do need to sort it out as that sort of cost is bordering on the unsustainable.

Stay safe

Keith

That's interesting Keith, without naming our local UK vet because they generally know how to charge (but are 100% professional) I paid them £66 for the AHC last week and therefore I'm assuming it's a standard fee. She mentioned it's a time consuming and fiddly document to complete  but £150 seems totally off the radar, maybe they don't really want to do them. You need to have a quiet word with yours I would suggest

Re rabies jab it is slightly annoying that the French one is only valid for 12 months rather than 3 years when administered in the UK

Chris

I was told by my vet that lots of vets don't want to do them now because it is such a headache. I've also seen prices of over £100 being advertised online. That is of course without the costs of vaccination, pet fares etc, and treatments before return  so sadly it seems the days of taking our pets on holidays with us are over unless we are quite wealthy. 😢

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

That's interesting Keith, without naming our local UK vet because they generally know how to charge (but are 100% professional) I paid them £66 for the AHC last week and therefore I'm assuming it's a standard fee. She mentioned it's a time consuming and fiddly document to complete  but £150 seems totally off the radar, maybe they don't really want to do them. You need to have a quiet word with yours I would suggest

Re rabies jab it is slightly annoying that the French one is only valid for 12 months rather than 3 years when administered in the UK

Chris

I must be honest I was quite supprised at £150 but sadly it has to be paid. Our vet is now part of a national group and they clearly know how to charge. I have been told that the form is 12 pages and not a quick fill in. I did ask at the time for a bulk discount but got no reaction.

I would be interested to know how much paperwork checking happened in PIP and Caen and did anything different happen on arrival.

It is also my understanding that the French have moved to every 3 years for the rabies jab. I am willing however to accept I could be wrong, seems to happen regularly these days. Obviously you will find out when you visit your French vet.

Best wishes, stay safe

Keith

I've just returned from the local vet Keith and it all appeared to go swimmingly. Dog N° 1 has a brand brand new French pet passport costing €18.95, very helpful and it only took 15 minutes. The girl couldn't really see what difference it makes as both of ours are fully up to date with all jabs and vaccines but there we go. She confirmed my previous comment about Rabies, it is renewable after 12 months here in France.

If you want to PM me I'll give you the name of our private UK vetinary practise charging £66 for the AHC, it might give you a bargaining tool with yours.....

The chap at PIP on Tuesday morning was obviously not having a good day as he was Mr Grumpy, presumably because most passengers turning up tend to have incomplete paperwork, however once he saw the AHC he seemed satisfied and checked the pet passport as usual. From a personal point of view yes, you do need to prove you are eligible to travel and it's thoroughly checked before and after the crossing...

Chris  

Edited by Fine Whine

We all know British vet charges are way more than Spanish vets.our dog has Europe passport but when we are due to travel am still going to get ahc.the price I don't know yet but rip off comes to mind.stay safe

49 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I've just returned from the local vet Keith and it all appeared to go swimmingly. Dog N° 1 has a brand brand new French pet passport costing €18.95, very helpful and it only took 15 minutes. The girl couldn't really see what difference it makes as both of ours are fully up to date with all jabs and vaccines but there we go. She confirmed my previous comment about Rabies, it is renewable after 12 months here in France.

If you want to PM me I'll give you the name of our private UK vetinary practise charging £66 for the AHC, it might give you a bargaining tool with yours.....

The chap at PIP on Tuesday morning was obviously not having a good day as he was Mr Grumpy, presumably because most passengers turning up tend to have incomplete paperwork, however once he saw the AHC he seemed satisfied and checked the pet passport as usual. From a personal point of view yes, you do need to prove you are eligible to travel and it's thoroughly checked before and after the crossing...

Chris  

Thanks for that Chris at least every year is better than 5 AHC per year. What does upset me is that I thought we had covered all the bases, sadly covid did not help and our dogs rabies jab expires while we are in the UK. I am sure we can sort it out when we get to France, just something else to deal with. One thing to remember though is to make sure you are in France when the rabies jab needs to be renewed, even doing it early if necessary. We do have a little clarity now though. 

What happened in Caen did they check your paperwork? Did they send you to the Vet facility down the main road towards Caen?

Keith

Edited by KeithR
On 25/03/2021 at 15:57, Fine Whine said:

Despite assurances from our French vet and BF staff in Cherbourg to the contrary, you do need a UK pet health certificate to get them into the EU, which I didn't have 3 weeks ago and was refused boarding. Luckily as it's only a 10 minute dash back to Emsworth I managed to dump them off and get back - just - in time for the morning sailing. I

Not the first time that you have been in the doghouse with Mrs FW Chris.

1 hour ago, nodwad said:

I have contacted defra about pets getting scanned before leaving the uk.there answer again was there is no reason why a pet should be scanned leaving the uk.

There is no Defra reason, however surely BF have to check that it will be allowed into Europe.