Would you still go away if stayed home 2 weeks?

if you could stay at home for 2 weeks when you got back from say a Mini Cruise would you still go at the moment?

i am asking as i want to do a DFDS Mini cruise from Newcastle while the ships are not as full and could stay at home for the 14 days when got back but something in my head is asking me is it the right thing to do?

what are peoples views as i am sure there are people out there which will still go away and then stay home for 14 days when got back.

also could Border force stop anyone from doing a trip like a Mini cruise even if DFDS are still selling them?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes but during the more modern ones, 1957, '67-70 when millions in the U.K died and herd immunity was used there was no instant media, everyone got on with life and HMG didn't pander to the overly pol

I would still go. However, because the threat of quarantine was enough to worry the other half we cancelled our trip 48 hours before sailing (and got a full refund).  We were due to sail home on the d

Throughout England there were 100 hospitalised cases during week 33 spread across 51 of the 300 authorities. That's fact based on hospital reports. The week before the West Yorkshire lockdown eff

Posted Images

Border Control have no powers to stop anyone leaving the country. When you return you will need to advice them where you will quarantining for the next 14 days so they can check up if needs be. I don't know how well UK follow up on quarantining people, but here in Ireland it not been handled very well; recent reports quoted in the papers said of 60,000 people arriving at Dublin Airport only 4,000 were followed up by phone and of those only 2,000 answered their phones.

We've been quarantining for a fortnight after returning from France and nobody has contacted us despite filling in all the paperwork before we left Dublin Port from the ferry.

It’s not the right thing to do because the FCO are advising against all but essential travel because the government is trying to keep a pandemic that’s killed hundreds of thousands of people under control, it’s up to you if you think your mini cruise is essential.

We have a booking to France at the end of the month returning mid September. We are obviously keeping an eye on things, but we are not going to cancel or postpone yet. If we have to shutdown for 14 days when we get back so be it. As retired persons it is not a big deal.

Edited by veryoldbear
16 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

We have a booking to France at the end of the month returning mid September. We are obviously keeping an eye on things, but we are not going to cancel or postpone yet. If we have to shutdown for 14 days when we get back so be it. As retired persons it is not a big deal.

As a second-home owner in France you will have insurance, presumably with a French insurer, for the property. I guess that also includes a range of other services including civil-liability etc so do you think it covers you enough to take the risk and travel?  Ed. 

Been watching Abandoned Engineering about Ellis Island in the US.  Now that was quarantine!  Fair enough it was to process immigrants but also kept contagious diseases off the mainland.  I just wonder what would happen if we started building quarantine centres on islands now - that wad proper quarantine, not get off one form of public transport and go where one likes in the country by another form of public transport if necessary.  Something like Ellis Island would be probably unthinkable in this day and age, but it did it’s job.

37 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

As a second-home owner in France you will have insurance, presumably with a French insurer, for the property. I guess that also includes a range of other services including civil-liability etc so do you think it covers you enough to take the risk and travel?  Ed. 

Yes. And a lot depends on quarantine rules in France. Who knows what is going to happen over the next couple of weeks? The one thing we have learned over the last few months is that things are constantly changing.

53 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

Agreed if we were retired we,d have gone without hesitation and have had no bother doing the quarantine. As it stand we're both working part time and staying home for 14 days after 2 weeks in France isnt an option! So the June 2020 trip that went back to September 2020 has now moved to August 2021!

23 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Been watching Abandoned Engineering about Ellis Island in the US.  Now that was quarantine!  Fair enough it was to process immigrants but also kept contagious diseases off the mainland.  I just wonder what would happen if we started building quarantine centres on islands now - that wad proper quarantine, not get off one form of public transport and go where one likes in the country by another form of public transport if necessary.  Something like Ellis Island would be probably unthinkable in this day and age, but it did it’s job.

Don`t give them ideas 😂

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, neilcvx said:

It’s not the right thing to do because the FCO are advising against all but essential travel because the government is trying to keep a pandemic that’s killed hundreds of thousands of people under control, it’s up to you if you think your mini cruise is essential.

I agree with this.

From a work point of view, quarantining for 14 days wouldn't be a problem for us; we have both been working from home since before lockdown and other than my team being in the office one day a fortnight for the last 3 weeks, the boss doesn't envisage us being back in the office anywhere near fulltime before Christmas. We had an online meeting this morning and I have been told not to rush in next week as I have broken ribs and I don't know whether I will be able to drive by then; working from home is still our default.

I wouldn't travel unnecessarily because I don't believe that governments are putting these quarantine restrictions in place for the fun of it. I would love to be able to travel but it would be impossible to isolate from other travellers on the journey and whilst I was away I would need to visit shops for basic essentials, all the while putting myself and others at risk of being part of the spread of this virus.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Our French home insurance renewal came up. I wrote to Groupama  and explained that I couldn't make the visit  to France to the Groupama agency due to Covid19 complications and got a quick reply back to say, don't worry, send it via money transfer just this one time and when you get back just set up a DDebit at the agency for next year.
Sorted.

Bish bosh Roscoff!

No holiday is essential travel. We want rid of this virus. Its not about quarantine etc as there is always a risk somewhere. Its about travelling abroad when the world is not coping with a pandemic. Surely that answers the question.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, adicat said:

No holiday is essential travel. We want rid of this virus. Its not about quarantine etc as there is always a risk somewhere. Its about travelling abroad when the world is not coping with a pandemic. Surely that answers the question.

Fully agree it's not essential, but what happens next year, when nothing has changed, or the year after. There's still no guarantee that a vaccine will be found, or give long lasting resistance.

• Like 2

Fully agree it's not essential, but what happens next year, when nothing has changed, or the year after. There's still no guarantee that a vaccine will be found, or give long lasting resistance.

Fair point but pandemics do tend to die out eventually otherwise the world would already be depopulated.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

This is from the New Scientist Between 1998 and 2009, the average time taken to develop a vaccine was 10.7 years”. ( no details of deviation was given) The effort currently being applied to find a vaccine may speed this up 

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24632804-000-why-itll-still-be-a-long-time-before-we-get-a-coronavirus-vaccine/#ixzz6VXUNUogOcientist

We are still in early stages of coping with this, so if we can get our own house in order before going to other countries, then next year a better system for track and trace and testing whoever wants testing can be in place. Lets just write this year off for foreign holidays. We have had a great Summer so far (not looking out window as he types). I am sure we could cope with 1 UK holiday instead. Patience is the name of the game. They will know more by next Spring.

2 minutes ago, adicat said:

We have had a great Summer so far (not looking out window as he types). I am sure we could cope with 1 UK holiday instead

I can understand if we all said no holidays at all and that we should all stay locked up at home, however we don't & I don't really see the difference between a UK holiday and going on holiday in France using a ferry / train.

France is far less densely populated than the UK & can be a perfectly safe place to go to - far safer than some of the UK holiday destinations.

We now have a reasonable amount of information and the freedom to choose, this is not going to go away quickly.

• Like 4

I would still go. However, because the threat of quarantine was enough to worry the other half we cancelled our trip 48 hours before sailing (and got a full refund).  We were due to sail home on the day the quarantine came in so I think we could probably have beaten it with some planning.

My view is that the government don't have a clue and that all the quarantine is doing is killing off the travel industry. I fully expect the virus to be kicking about by next summer, at which point we might finally have figured out that we need to live with it. The problem is, the travel companies may well have bitten the dust by then.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Fair point but pandemics do tend to die out eventually otherwise the world would already be depopulated.

Yes but during the more modern ones, 1957, '67-70 when millions in the U.K died and herd immunity was used there was no instant media, everyone got on with life and HMG didn't pander to the overly political correctness of pressure groups and a public that can't face the facts and realities of life.

Pandemics fade by running their course, not by quarantining and ad hoc lockdowns, that just prolongs the agony. Especially with one that is infectious rather than deadly.

Everyone jumping up and down about a second wave haven't got a clue what they're wittering on about, but it sells newspapers and is gold dust to sites which rely on click bait.

The first wave has to have died out in normal living conditions for any second strike of infections to even be considered and consistent use of local lockdowns and kneejerk quarantining means that will never happen.

For all those who keep banging on about this virus and how many people have died and love to be judge and jury to those of us who are happy to travel.

There are over 740 million people living in Europe, Covid has infected about 0.5%, and the mortality rate is less than 0.1%.

What has this site become?

If there's not multiple posts about the sky falling in, it's multiple posts of Brittany Ferries dying the death.

If I wasn't depressed before this place surely makes you that way...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I feel it is much safer to go via Brittany Ferries to France (as I did in July) than it would be to go to a very over crowded Cornwall or any of the other over crowded UK destinations.

I certainly would not entertain going into a pub at the moment , I think this is going to be were a lot of new cases arise from, drink and Social distancing don't go together.

On the ferry we are wearing masks and Social distancing, I certainly felt very safe.

For anybody thinking of travelling during FCO advice against essential travel I have found an insurance company that offers travel insurance, Voyager High Risk travel insurance, I didn't think they were too badly priced. 

Jonno, hear hear! 

I am sick of how we are causing continual self harm to ourselves for something that really, is not worth the pain for.  

Many people I know in the travel industry that harped on at the beginning, “we as a country need to do more blah blah blah”, have all gone somewhat quiet, as they realise the poo storm that has now developed because of the hysteria that was peddled from the start.. one reaps what one sows comes to mind.... and before anyone says, I have been shafted (lost my job) due the decimation of this industry.

Edited by 5_ShortBlasts
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, 5_ShortBlasts said:

Jonno, hear hear! 

I am sick of how we are causing continual self harm to ourselves for something that really, is not worth the pain for.  

Many people I know in the travel industry that harped on at the beginning, “we as a country need to do more blah blah blah”, have all gone somewhat quiet, as they realise the poo storm that has now developed because of the hysteria that was peddled from the start.. one reaps what one sows comes to mind.... and before anyone says, I have been shafted (lost my job) due the decimation of this industry.

The members who have made the last two post have dared to voice what is probably reality. I wish our politicians had the same bravery / integrity.

I never thought I was at risk by travelling to France and I’m now probably more at risk as I’m Now spending part of my holiday in Glasgow, but at the end of the day with my job I couldn’t justify going and having a month of work plus if the governments of the country are advising you against travelling unless it’s essential then it’s probably the right thing to do however I do suspect that if we had a quarantine system that was logical and based on risk then travelling by BF and going to quieter places than Paris or Magaluf via a packed plane would be regarded as a low risk.

At the end of the day we have an imperfect system and live in a judgemental society, I’m as guilty of that as the next man, I don’t have bad feeling against anyone who travels abroad but as you all know on here I’m not frightened to have my say , as Ringo Star would say “Peace and love , Peace and love.”

3 hours ago, jonno said:

If I wasn't depressed before this place surely makes you that way...

Depressed, don't talk to me about depressed... Here I am with a brain the size of a planet, and you want me to park cars? Sorry Marvin with the pain in all the diodes down your right side.

Ambivalent in response to your post though. Yes avoid panic and worthless measures, but we must surely always prioritise lives? None of us have a magic wand, or all the right answers and actions. This is 2020, not the past, and medical science, like everything else has moved forward.

I cannot sign up to a course of action which I feel condemns humans to death. My feelings, opinions and views I know, and I respect others. Perhaps a totally different policy and strategy would be better? I don't know.

• Like 3

There is a very basic problem in that the significant minority of younger people who are flaunting the restrictions are actually not at much risk themselves. Many seem to be asymptomatic whilst others, unless they are very unlucky indeed, will only suffer from a mild illness (although there are some worrying indications that there may still be long tem side effects)

But in spreading the bug around willy nilly they go on to infect more vulnerable people, often through family contacts with parents/grandparents etc. to whom the virus is a very real death threat. What happened in the care homes is indicative of the risk to the elderly.

Being of the older generation and with first hand knowledge of two people who have died unpleasantly from Covid-19 I am understandably very cautious and I am unhappy that so many people seem to be doing their very best to keep the virus in general circulation - see the reports of house parties on the news tonight.

As for the travel restrictions and other measures, yes, it is a broad brush approach but in the circumnstances and given the gaps in our knowledge how could it be otherwise?

There has to be an acceptable compromise somewhere along the way between restrictions and personal freedom but the various authorities are still struggling to reach that balance which is not helped by so many people considering that the rules don't apply to them if they stop them doing whatever they want.

• Like 1