St Clare today

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, adicat said:

She seems to be having issues. Coming over backwards and then struggling to turn to come into gunwharf unless waiting for small boat but can't see from where I am.

Probably due to loading the new train that came over to the island on it ..but that is a guess 

Blimey, I'm feeling old. I remember D Stock being introduced on the District Line when I arrived in London in 1979.  Vivarail, the mob that bought many of the withdrawn D Stock units are also creating diesel variants for use on unelectrified branch lines.  Of course the D Stock IOW trains follow in a line of ex-LUL stock. They will replace ex Bakerloo 38 stock, which in turn ousted Standard Stock if I recall correctly.  The big change this time is that the new units are former Surface Stock gauge rather than Tube Stuck gauge, so they need more space to fit through tunnels and under bridges.  I believe - and locals may know more than me - that an underbridge near St Johns is the biggest gauge restriction on the line, so it may have been necessary to lower the track under the bridge or, indeed, raise the road bridge platform above.  But hey, for a day the UK had a train ferry !  

• Like 1

I believe there were a couple of pinch points, one of which was one of the Ryde bridges, but the track has now been moved or lowered in these places during a couple of recent weekend possessions.

We had always believed that it was the tight dimensions of the Ryde Tunnel that limited the railway to tube-train size stock, but this is apparently not the case and the railway are confident that the ‘new’ trains will get through all right. Let’s hope they are right.

The trains will be unloaded on to the railway at Sandown, where there is a siding and the approach is easier than anything at Ryde St Johns. 

I spent a lot of my working life in London using these trains on the District Line; pictures suggest that the interiors won’t have changed very much.

Thanks for the clarification, Hermit. As an aside, I spent some time working on the Tube with a former District Line train maintenance manager (who, before that, was in the Navy). He spoke wistfully about his time out in the Far East. "What, Hong Kong ?" said I, rising to the bait. "No", he retorted. "Upminster !" 

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Just touching on the trains:

Rail magazine showed a picture of St Clare at Fishbourne, but the usual non checking of facts as they said arrived at Yarmouth.

Also all the trains are now broken and its buses until at least 13th.

1 minute ago, adicat said:

Rail magazine showed a picture of St Clare at Fishbourne, but the usual non checking of facts as they said arrived at Yarmouth.

They don`t have a lot of luck with modes of transport on the Island do they?

38 minutes ago, adicat said:

Drat 🙁

There goes any chance of me getting a final trip on them then

One of them is apparently going to the Epping Ongar Railway, appropriately enough since that was once part of the Central Line. Even though the line served only a small rural population out in Essex, London Transport in its heyday electrified it. It boasted the only station on the underground network from which no other building could be seen (Blake Hall).

I understand that the preservationists who now run the line intend to keep the ex-Island Line train operational - presumably by using batteries, since the electric rail has long been lifted.

Trains were due back Monday but failed again and now no power supply so buses all day. Maybe they won't make it back before the line closes for 3 months. St Clare

Just put those ladt words in so its topical to the title 😅

• Haha 1

You do have to wonder if its worth them even bothering between now and Christmas to waste manpower on fixing them. 

St Clare was not very busy today at 12pm

Gunwharf quiet and thats before tier 3 kicks in. Not sure I get why restaurants in tier 2 can serve food seated but when tier 3 that suddenly not allowed yet same covid safety protocols in force.

Shops allowed to remain open but most have little covid structure yet restaurants do.

Don't get the justification for that particular change. Why is next Thursday any more risky than this if following same protocols.

• 2 weeks later...