Is she having problems? She has been pretty good today despite the winds and using all three decks since mid morning but has lost over an hour in the last 3 hours and is heading over to the island at just under 9 knots

• 2 months later...

She seems to be having issues. Coming over backwards and then struggling to turn to come into gunwharf unless waiting for small boat but can't see from where I am.

Edited by adicat
1 hour ago, adicat said:

She seems to be having issues. Coming over backwards and then struggling to turn to come into gunwharf unless waiting for small boat but can't see from where I am.

Probably due to loading the new train that came over to the island on it ..but that is a guess 

Blimey, I'm feeling old. I remember D Stock being introduced on the District Line when I arrived in London in 1979.  Vivarail, the mob that bought many of the withdrawn D Stock units are also creating diesel variants for use on unelectrified branch lines.  Of course the D Stock IOW trains follow in a line of ex-LUL stock. They will replace ex Bakerloo 38 stock, which in turn ousted Standard Stock if I recall correctly.  The big change this time is that the new units are former Surface Stock gauge rather than Tube Stuck gauge, so they need more space to fit through tunnels and under bridges.  I believe - and locals may know more than me - that an underbridge near St Johns is the biggest gauge restriction on the line, so it may have been necessary to lower the track under the bridge or, indeed, raise the road bridge platform above.  But hey, for a day the UK had a train ferry !  

• Like 1

I believe there were a couple of pinch points, one of which was one of the Ryde bridges, but the track has now been moved or lowered in these places during a couple of recent weekend possessions.

We had always believed that it was the tight dimensions of the Ryde Tunnel that limited the railway to tube-train size stock, but this is apparently not the case and the railway are confident that the ‘new’ trains will get through all right. Let’s hope they are right.

The trains will be unloaded on to the railway at Sandown, where there is a siding and the approach is easier than anything at Ryde St Johns. 

I spent a lot of my working life in London using these trains on the District Line; pictures suggest that the interiors won’t have changed very much.

Thanks for the clarification, Hermit. As an aside, I spent some time working on the Tube with a former District Line train maintenance manager (who, before that, was in the Navy). He spoke wistfully about his time out in the Far East. "What, Hong Kong ?" said I, rising to the bait. "No", he retorted. "Upminster !" 

• Haha 2