We have just completed our first 'Economie' experience travelling to Cherbourg at the beginning of the month, and returning yesterday. Overall, it was adequate. One anomaly that puzzled me was that on the outward journey we had two (very mediocre) breakfasts, but we were given the CV discount off the bill. Coming back yesterday, we were assured that there was no discount available on that ship at any time in the buffet and that we must have been on a different ship! I resisted getting out the copy of my receipt. This would suggest that one or other of the staff had not been adequately trained, but, if the decision yesterday was correct, it seems wrong. The fare paid (even on economie) was slightly more than our original booking on a 'non-economie' ship, and the prices in the buffet seem to be same. I could understand there being no discount if the travel cost was demonstrably below that charged by full service ships, but this was not the case. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of the T&C can confirm which cashier was right?

However, and much more importantly, the boeuf bourguignon and the lasagne were both delicious, and the equal of any self service offering on the rest of the fleet. So good that it cast a warm glow over our whole experience.

The arrangements on board worked quite well. Along with everyone else we checked in well on time at Cherbourg (1545) only to find that the check in booths did not open until just after that time. Seems to me a bit arrogant asking everyone to turn up very early, but not bothering to turn up themselves. On the other hand, at this end, a pat to the Border agency who were dealing very efficiently and quickly with the extra admin following the locating requirements.

Anyway, the six foot high lawn is now back to normal, and we await the end of quarantine.

• Like 1

Food benefits are not normally available on Economie, not sure how you got them on the outbound, maybe the computer will give them if the ticket is scanned.

Re Check in, that annoyed me as well, when I did it last week, they opened checkin in Cherbourg at around the final check in time so everyone was waiting in the queue. Whilst waiting, it was a gamble whether to risk going to the toilet in the terminal or not !

I’m just heading down there now Roger for the same sailing you took yesterday so I’ll ask at the information desk for you. But from memory whenever I’ve asked for the CV restaurant discount on Économie sailings before the answer has been no.
Chris

Just now, Fine Whine said:

I’m just heading down there now Roger for the same sailing you took yesterday so I’ll ask at the information desk for you. But from memory whenever I’ve asked for the CV restaurant discount on Économie sailings before the answer has been no.
Chris

The website says the following, you could try saying that Cherbourg is not included !

Brittany Ferries économie
Please note that the onboard benefits of breakfast allowance and 10% reduction on dining are not available on the économie service to and from Spain and Le Havre.

We found the food on the Connemara to be good quality and the staff were always very helpful (even carried trays to table for customers when crossing a bit choppy. Our only complaint was that there was never any chips on offer. On the other hand wine was very reasonably priced.