French Shopping...

I take a load of different sized Tupperware boxes for shopping as I learnt my lesson when I stuffed a ready meal of M&S sprouts in black bean sauce into my handbag and the packaging split...🙄

Anything “messy” goes in boxes now - especially any soft fruit!!!

Just some input from those of us who are resident over here.

These are the things that the Gardian household always gets when in the UK ( or when friends are visiting).

• Bacon (of course, & freezes well)
  • Naan bread (peshwari)
  • Salad Cream (yes I know, not everybody’s taste, but in some things ......)
  • Branston Pickle
  • Teabags
  • Amontillado Sherry (essential for Mrs G)

There are other things, like Cheddar and Baked Beans, but both are obtainable around here, albeit quite expensively.

• Like 2

My Super U shopping list includes

• reasonably-priced wine (compared with prices in the UK)
  • Cassis - around 6 euros for 1 litre
  • Mayonnaise with Dijon mustard, much cheaper than the UK
  • Jam - favourites include 4 fruits, Framboise and Cassis
  • Chocolate bars - 2 favourites are Menthe Intense and Ganache Citron
  • Macarons
  • Roscoff onions when in Brittany

Plus a look around the kitchenware section, have found some very useful things there in the past.

We bought a school bag in L'Eclerc three years ago and it was far more than I would have been prepared to pay but child paid part of it from holiday money. It is still in great condition other than the velcro on the front pocket has gone and I have actually saved money by not having to buy a new bag every year since. I guess that the child is due a refund of the holiday money. 

• Like 1

Apart from wine we always brought back tins of confit du Canard. 5 large legs to a tin packed in goose fat. When one looked at price of jars of goose fat in the UK the quantity in the tin meant that the duck was free.

• Like 1
On 07/09/2020 at 16:31, Durham Lad said:

Not just the minestrone and knorr but the the variety and quality of the packet soups by anumber of brands is brilliant and we always bring a wide selection back with us.

I remember finding that stuff very salty, but that was a few years back

we end up coming home with quite a lot as we have the fridge / freezer with us!

The essentials are clearly the wine and beer. On top of that we usually end up with some round chips (a holiday staple), various biscuits, jam and coffee.  I once bought a Paella in a Tin (Eco+, no less), which sat in the cupboard for several years before being eaten recently.  Also Stroopwafels

On 07/09/2020 at 10:51, David Williams said:

I haven't seen unpasteurised Normandy Cider in the UK - however I suspect that I could get it somewhere,

For those who are in the local  area it is often available at Southbourne Farm Shop just east of Emsworth (NOT the one in Bournemouth) - ring first to check.

Edited by Millsy