Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As for the Burgundy yes she has never been a particularly lovely ship, being too obviously a ship bolted together rather than designed properly for passenger service. However... I thought she loo

I've found the Burgundy laid up in Legoland Windsor next to the last remaining Stena HSS , unfortunately soon she will probably discover the same fate as the HSS

Alas not - when I've put in the request to add us into the forum softwares mobile app, it needed an image bigger than a BFE logo I had to hand. I used a photo of the PA (by Andy) to get the form submi

Posted Images

Can't believe she is only 3000 GT less than King Seaways! What is the long corridor to her stern, looks like gangway.

I think she is too young to be scrapped (yes I know younger ships are being scrapped) - maybe she will be utilised as a freight vessel or for relief. I guess its tough given she was specifically designed for her route.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Can't believe she is only 3000 GT less than King Seaways! What is the long corridor to her stern, looks like gangway.

I think she is too young to be scrapped (yes I know younger ships are being scrapped) - maybe she will be utilised as a freight vessel or for relief. I guess its tough given she was specifically designed for her route.

The long corridor is where the Dover gangway attached to the ship for foot passengers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure, and there may well be others that posters can think of, but is it possible that Pride of Burgundy is the longest-serving ever car ferry on the Dover-Calais route?

I think she’s clocked up the best part of 29 years.  (She was never Zeebrugge-based, was she?).  Pride of Calais did 25 years.  Cote d’Azur soldiered on for an extraordinary 28 years.  But I think Pride of Burgundy just pips her doesn’t she?

Any other contenders to deny her the crown?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Hmm, Pride of Kent (which started out life as European Highway) came into service a year earlier in 1992, does she count?

Chris

She, and her sister Canterbury, spent their first 10 years or so Zeebrugge-based.  So they’re way behind Burgundy in their Dover-Calais service.

  • TongueOut 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I’m not sure, and there may well be others that posters can think of, but is it possible that Pride of Burgundy is the longest-serving ever car ferry on the Dover-Calais route?

I think she’s clocked up the best part of 29 years.  (She was never Zeebrugge-based, was she?).  Pride of Calais did 25 years.  Cote d’Azur soldiered on for an extraordinary 28 years.  But I think Pride of Burgundy just pips her doesn’t she?

Any other contenders to deny her the crown?

Burgundy entered service in '93 (27 years) so the Cote d'Azur still has it I think operating between '81 and '09. Although her final years were intermingled with bouts of lay up so actual time in service would probably be close (moreso if you deduct periods strike bound!)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And crucially, I can’t remember there being any break in service at Calais for Cote d’Azur.  Her younger sister did spells at both Boulogne and Dieppe. But I’m pretty sure that Cote d’Azur only ever served Calais (?).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

And crucially, I can’t remember there being any break in service at Calais for Cote d’Azur.  Her younger sister did spells at both Boulogne and Dieppe. But I’m pretty sure that Cote d’Azur only ever served Calais (?).

She did do a few of SNCF's ill-starred 84/85 Dover-Boulogne sailings in lieu of her sister but they were peripheral really with the large majority of her time spent even in that period on the Calais run before diverting to Boulogne for the odd round trip.

There was one great rumour that she would be deployed by SNAT on a revived Weymouth-Cherbourg route some time in the '90s, for which I think she would have been quite good, but it never happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

There was one great rumour that she would be deployed by SNAT on a revived Weymouth-Cherbourg route some time in the '90s, for which I think she would have been quite good, but it never happened.

Interesting, I’d not heard that rumour.  If she’d done that then she would have effectively gone head to head with Barfleur!  (If I remember rightly, the closure of Sealink’s Weymouth route coincided almost exactly with Truckline’s Poole route becoming a passenger operation).  Wonder how the two of them would have fared against each other.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the Burgundy yes she has never been a particularly lovely ship, being too obviously a ship bolted together rather than designed properly for passenger service.

However... I thought she looked pretty smart on board in the early P&O Stena days when she'd just been refitted and the service and maintenance standards were at their peak. 

In recent years the maintenance on most of their Dover ships has been terrible but they did invest in a further refit of the Burgundy which saw her given elements of the Spirit class on board identities. Step outside and the decks were still rusty and pitted but inside, at least in parts, she looked relatively fresh.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always liked her. I think I've sailed on her once in 1996 (6th form return trip from CERN!).  I like her practical exterior, she doesn't pretend to be something she is not and she is not dumpy.

I was assuming she'd be heading for the beach as well as she was the least used of the fleet (Seaway excepted) before all this. It's hard to imagine a buyer for her.

Now, I'm not so sure, as I'm struggling to see why P&O would be paying for her in layup for so long. Are they expecting scrap prices to pick up?  Maybe it's a case of waiting until January to see what Brexit brings.  There are rumours that the Canterbury is in poor mechanical condition - perhaps it's a case of waiting to see if she goes first or maybe the Seaway (or any two / all three).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hhvferry said:

As for the Burgundy yes she has never been a particularly lovely ship, being too obviously a ship bolted together rather than designed properly for passenger service.

However... I thought she looked pretty smart on board in the early P&O Stena days when she'd just been refitted and the service and maintenance standards were at their peak. 

In recent years the maintenance on most of their Dover ships has been terrible but they did invest in a further refit of the Burgundy which saw her given elements of the Spirit class on board identities. Step outside and the decks were still rusty and pitted but inside, at least in parts, she looked relatively fresh.

I've always thought Burgundy has nothing to be proud of (much in the same way I heard a rumour years ago that Etretat may have been called Honfleur until representation from the town declined to be associated with such a vessel).

Perhaps it's because a number of crossings on her have been 'accidental' through turning up too early, spending 24 hours after breaking down waiting to see if the car could be fixed (it couldn't) or being on her when really really busy. I can see that at some point a lot of money was spent on her in terms of passenger areas but investment has dwindled. The outside area is particularly depressing. Whilst I know we're supposed to be enthusiasts, I will not be too sad if the Burgundy doesn't return.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

I've always liked her.

There are rumours that the Canterbury is in poor mechanical condition 

 

I agree, but I feel we are in the minority.

As a motorcyclist, I liked the fact that when boarding in Dover you could chuck your bike up the bow and walk straight up the fwd stairs and into the food hall, being the first one there. As you say, the Canterbury is reported to be in extremely poor mechanical condition so I wouldn't put my money the Burgundy going first. And she has accumulated less engine hours so she may live to see another day (or 3 years 😉).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

I agree, but I feel we are in the minority.

As a motorcyclist, I liked the fact that when boarding in Dover you could chuck your bike up the bow and walk straight up the fwd stairs and into the food hall, being the first one there. As you say, the Canterbury is reported to be in extremely poor mechanical condition so I wouldn't put my money the Burgundy going first. And she has accumulated less engine hours so she may live to see another day (or 3 years 😉).

I wonder if we'll see either Burgundy or Canterbury back. It'll be interesting to see how post-Covid (whenever that is) affects overall traffic and if P&O just hold out for the newbuilds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim said:

I wonder if we'll see either Burgundy or Canterbury back. It'll be interesting to see how post-Covid (whenever that is) affects overall traffic and if P&O just hold out for the newbuilds.

Does P&O have the cash for new builds now? Could we be looking soon at a future of just the SoB/SoF on DovCal for P&O?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Does P&O have the cash for new builds now? Could we be looking soon at a future of just the SoB/SoF on DovCal for P&O?

I think this could well be part of the reason they haven't given anything the chop just yet, despite mounting layup bills.  I can well imagine a future where Burgundy and maybe Seaway are kept as freight vessels running to a more relaxed timetable, with Burgundy able to step up as a passenger vessel (as she has in the past)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Does P&O have the cash for new builds now? Could we be looking soon at a future of just the SoB/SoF on DovCal for P&O?

I can't see them dropping to a two ship service, especially with direct competition

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...