Bergen Shipping June 2005

You're in real danger of bringing a tear to my eye with these😪....I miss the Newcastle-Bergen ferry very much indeed. There are few things I'd like to see more than for it to come back one day, in some form.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

The Newcastle - Bergen route will never come back. Ever. Sorry.

It ended for a reason, it was unprofitable.

I don't think it was quite that simple, was it? Given that the route ran for well over a hundred years, only interrupted by wars, it can't have always been unprofitable. 

Fjord Line operated the route with the Jupiter continuously from 1999-2005, it was generally reported as well loaded and popular throughout the year. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

The Newcastle - Bergen route will never come back. Ever. Sorry.

It ended for a reason, it was unprofitable.

The Jupiter, I sailed on her under four different names and two lengths. The first ship I took to Oslo and the first ship I took to Denmark.

The Newcastle - Bergen route saw passenger numbers very similar to what BF carry to Spain and the North East economy lost millions in revenue when DFDS shut it down. The route would have worked with a ship that had a larger freight capacity, this was made worse when DFDS decided to switch the fleet around in order to give the Ijmuiden route both Peter Pans, the Queen (Moby Dada)has even less freight capacity.

Don't know about others but I travelled many times from Newcastle to both Bergen and Gothenburg and the ships were full every time, Even during September 2008 when the Bergen route was closed down the ship was full.

We used the Esbjerg route too as Hvide Sande is only an hour up the road. Now we have to take a grotty Ryanair flight to Billund and hire a car if time is tight or drive up through Holland & Germany.

As an observation, the outlet village just up the road from Port of Tyne was built specifically to cater to visiting Scandinavians allowing them to buy goods far cheaper than they could at home and Whitbread built their Premier inn with a pub rather than an inhouse restaurant in order to cater to them as well.

The newer, larger port carpark is never full anymore either... that suggests to me that it was expanded to cope with the needs of U.K mini-cruisers sailing to both Holland & Scandinavia.

No one would have troubled to go to all of that expense if there was no money in it.

For me the problem was DFDS.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, jonno said:

Don't know about others but I travelled many times from Newcastle to both Bergen and Gothenburg and the ships were full every time, Even during September 2008 when the Bergen route was closed down the ship was full.

Yes, that was always my experience on both routes. I sailed on the Bergen route under Color Line, Fjord Line (same ship, different names) and finally under DFDS, all in Autumn/Winter, and every sailing was very busy, especially with Norwegians returning home with all their shopping bags. 

Of course the growth of cheap cruises and flights over the past ten years or so hasn't helped one bit. But I still hold out some faint hope that one day, someone will give it another try. The current Fjord Line ships would be amazing if they could one day be persuaded to send one of them over for a trial run ;) 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, jonno said:

The Jupiter, I sailed on her under four different names and two lengths. The first ship I took to Oslo and the first ship I took to Denmark.

The Newcastle - Bergen route saw passenger numbers very similar to what BF carry to Spain and the North East economy lost millions in revenue when DFDS shut it down. The route would have worked with a ship that had a larger freight capacity, this was made worse when DFDS decided to switch the fleet around in order to give the Ijmuiden route both Peter Pans, the Queen (Moby Dada)has even less freight capacity.

We used the Esbjerg route too as Hvide Sande is only an hour up the road. Now we have to take a grotty Ryanair flight to Billund and hire a car if time is tight or drive up through Holland & Germany.

As an observation, the outlet village just up the road from Port of Tyne was built specifically to cater to visiting Scandinavians allowing them to buy goods far cheaper than they could at home and Whitbread built their Premier inn with a pub rather than an inhouse restaurant in order to cater to them as well.

The newer, larger port carpark is never full anymore either... that suggests to me that it was expanded to cope with the needs of U.K mini-cruisers sailing to both Holland & Scandinavia.

No one would have troubled to go to all of that expense if there was no money in it.

For me the problem was DFDS.

Thanks for the insight that was an interesting read. I am gutted the Newc - Norway/Sweden routes no longer run anymore. Do you think they could return?

5 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Thanks for the insight that was an interesting read. I am gutted the Newc - Norway/Sweden routes no longer run anymore. Do you think they could return?

I think it could if done sensibly using a modern ship with a modern propulsion system, a ship with around 1200 berths and decent onboard entertainment and shopping to entice the Norwegians... you know first hand how busy the onboard shops are on Color Magic & Fantasy plus Bergen is a true destination port so allowing passengers a full day to explore the Bryggen and possibly have a trip up the funicular would increase the attraction for British travellers.

I reckon if you coupled that with say a two day hotel stay creating a mini break you'd be onto a winner.

The price of oil was also a factor 12 years ago. In 2008 oil was $100 a barrel now it's less than $37 and the manner in which the Russians are pumping the stuff out of the ground, in greater volumes than the Soviet days, I doubt we'll see a large spike in prices. OPEC doesn't have the clout it once had.

Maybe using one of the Mediterranean ships?

• Like 1
On 10/09/2020 at 16:11, ccs147 said:

Some pics from a visit to Bergen in June 2005 Full album here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQEvthT

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 10/09/2020 at 16:11, ccs147 said:

Some pics from a visit to Bergen in June 2005 Full album here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQEvthT

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ex King of Scandinavia at the top! Ah yes memories indeed... I used to watch her ploughing up and down the Oslo fjord on many a moon back in the early 90's! :)