If you go down to the Solent today...

... You'll see lots of racing yachts – Class 40s, which are double-handed [ie crew of 2]. They are taking part in the Normandy Channel Race.

The event started from Caen city centre, sailing in procession down the canal, with the start proper outside Ouistreham harbour at 19:05. After rounding the IoW the race then heads down Channel and across the Celtic Sea to the Fastnet rock, returning SE to pass Cherbourg and then return to Ouistreham.

The leaders are making about 7.5kt [VMG] and the leaders should be back at Ouistreham on Saturday afternoon.

Here's a couple of shots from the canal bank. Redman and Credit Mutuel are currently in the lead, passing the Needles at about 14:30.

There's quite a lot of sailing activity in both the canal and Ouistreham during a typical summer, so if things are relatively back to normal next year I'll post details under Things to Do...

For those already planning, or dreaming, about coming to France next year, I'm starting a couple of new threads in the next few days - things to do and see, places to eat etc. If that's all we've got for the next few weeks and months, then at least folk can have something to look forward to. Of course, I'm lucky, I'm here all year round!

redman.thumb.png.becd609ae995e731dcdd93e934a6ba66.pngCreditMut.thumb.png.644d907b26376d2c7432a0eba0f7d279.png

• Like 1