France agrees 30 million euros of aid for ferry companies

As Jim says, by definition this site is well disposed towards the company and its products. Members, particularly the regular posters, are more than willing to  be understanding of problems and supportive in resolving them so when the general tone of commentary turns negative it should be something of a wake up call to be taken seriously rather than stifled.

The general position of the Forum has always been that of a critical friend, always willing to highlight good service and not to look for negative issues to complain about.

One hopes that this will continue.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Morning All,

I've removed a previous post in this thread by @David Williams at his request, along with another by @Cabin-boywhich quoted it.

I am aware, as will those who read this thread, that over the course of the weekend there has been interaction between individual members and individuals from Brittany Ferries which relate to posts made on BFE and posts made on Twitter. I would hope, based on the exchanges I have seen, that the matters raised between individuals both on and off the forum are now drawn to a conclusion. 

I believe the ongoing position of the BFE membership is summarised by the members themselves above in some of the posts above which have been supported by the 'like' and 'thanks' reactions. We continue to welcome anyone as a member to engage in discussion on the condition that it is done in a polite and respectful manner.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Jim said:

Morning All,

I've removed a previous post in this thread by @David Williams at his request, along with another by @Cabin-boywhich quoted it.

I am aware, as will those who read this thread, that over the course of the weekend there has been interaction between individual members and individuals from Brittany Ferries which relate to posts made on BFE and posts made on Twitter. I would hope, based on the exchanges I have seen, that the matters raised between individuals both on and off the forum are now drawn to a conclusion. 

I believe the ongoing position of the BFE membership is summarised by the members themselves above in some of the posts above which have been supported by the 'like' and 'thanks' reactions. We continue to welcome anyone as a member to engage in discussion on the condition that it is done in a polite and respectful manner.

That's all fine Jim but seeing as how Twitter has recently been the only channel for effective communication with the company it's hardly surprising that when some people do finally get through they vent their frustration.

If BF wish to block any of their followers from Twitter that's of course their perogative but by cutting of that line of communication they should at the very least also repay any funds held for unused trips and bookings by those customers they exclude. 

Ed

Today’s CEO message makes the points well 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/ceo-message

An extract is

I have mentioned in previous messages the cash injection we received in June. This loan from French banks, amounting to €117m, must be repaid in five years. It was necessary to carry us through the worst summer season in our history and repayment will not be easy. However, we have already taken steps to reduce our costs.

One of the ways we have done this is to cut routes this autumn, a painful but necessary first step. Another thing we have sought is a reduction in “social charges” payable for our French seafarers. So-called net wage provisions are applied by governments in Denmark and Italy and we have sought the same derogation from these taxes in France.

Last week the French government announced we would receive a one-year derogation. This will help as we negotiate the most acute phase of the crisis, which is getting through the 2020 autumn and winter period. In effect it guarantees next year for Brittany Ferries.

But it’s not enough for our long-term recovery and we will continue to lobby hard, as will the regions on our behalf. Of course, this is not the only thing we are doing to cut costs, but it is the thing that is generating the most media headlines. That, in turn, creates the kind of anxiety that I know many of you feel at this difficult time. 

The waters are still extremely choppy. But we are far from sunk. Our business model is strong, we have new ships on order and we are determined to make 2021 our come-back season with as many routes operating as possible. 

Next year is guaranteed. And I can assure you we are working hard to ensure we continue to serve you all in 2022 - and beyond.