Amorella Aground

TonyMWeaver

19 hours ago, jonno said:

Now I'm wondering if she was heading the wrong way, the ferries don't usually pass that side of the island, they usually head up between Jarso & Bjorko.

Could she have been turning to port to return to the usual lane?

It is not the usual route, but is used quite often. No idea why.

fire broke out at M / S Amorella at the Naantali repair yard

A passenger car ferry on M / S Amorella caught fire on Thursday at the Naantali repair yard. The company said the fire was extinguished immediately.

A small fire on VIKING LINE'S passenger car ferry M / S Amorella broke out on Thursday at the Naantali repair yard.

- A small fire broke out on Thursday in the ship's auxiliary engine room during welding work. It was turned off immediately. Some electricity cable has been burned, Johanna Boijer-Svanström , Viking Line's communications manager, tells Ilta-Sanomat.

According to him, the fire will not affect the ship's repair schedule in any way.

M / S AMORELLA ran aground on Sunday 20 September at 12.50 in Hjulgrund in the Åland archipelago.

The ship had about 200 passengers and 80 crew members in the event of the grounding. Passengers were still transported to Mariehamn on the same day.

Amorella, who traveled to Stockholm, made ground contact in the waters of Hjulgrund, Åland. It was driven to the shore mole of Järsö Island, from where it was towed to Långnäs Harbor.

Viking Line's Amorella vessel, which was towed, arrived at the Turku repair yard in Naantali on 24 September.

THE ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION BOARD later found material that did not belong on Viking Line's Amorella shipwreck.

On September 29, the fairway agency announced that the route used by Amorella and other shipping services, Apteekkarinväylä, will be closed until October 2.

The location of the boulder at the edge of the fairway had been refined in the studies and was partly located on the fairway side.

The study of the pharmacy route was started after the grounding of Viking Line's Amorella just over two weeks ago. Investigations in the area are still ongoing.

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006658252.html?fbclid=IwAR3EdscXizDneFIDre7NFtVby0hU0s-0Ydj_HHCwIfaWJDPkQk6qCDbyaUM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The location of the boulder at the edge of the fairway had been refined in the studies and was partly located on the fairway side.

The study of the pharmacy...

That makes everything much clearer! Thanks Tony. 😉

Ed

• 1 month later...

"A technical malfunction was the immediate cause of the grounding of passenger-car ferry Amorella – investigation by Safety Investigation Authority, Finland, is ongoing.

The in­ves­ti­ga­tion of the Safety In­ves­ti­ga­tion Au­thor­ity into the ground­ing of Viking Line Oyj’s pas­sen­ger-car ferry Amorella in the Åland arch­i­pel­ago on 20 Sep­tem­ber 2020 has pro­gressed, and the course of events and the im­me­di­ate cause of the ground­ing have been dis­cov­ered.

As a result of a technical malfunction of Amorella’s power control equipment, the pitch of the right propeller moved independently into a full reverse position as the vessel approached the narrow Hjulgrund passage. The vessel’s abnormal behaviour was noticed on the bridge, and the crew reacted immediately. However, the vessel continued to turn right towards the edge of the fairway area, which led to the first time of touching ground southeast of Hjulgrund. Because the vessel’s bow draught increased and the vessel was listing to the right, the master decided to steer the vessel to the shore of Järsö Island in order to stabilise the situation.

The Safety Investigation Authority requested executive assistance from the Finnish Defence Forces with the underwater documentation of the area where the accident occurred. A boulder was found on the northern edge of the fairway area, and the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency conjectured in its own investigation that it had moved there as a result of Amorella’s grounding. The rocks had traces of rust and paint from Amorella. After this, the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency removed the boulder by blasting, the fairway draught was confirmed and the fairway was opened for traffic again on 2 October 2020.

The investigation of the Safety Investigation Authority into the grounding continues. According to the investigation plan, the investigation report will be published in the summer of 2021."

A technical malfunction was the immediate cause of the grounding of the passenger-car ferry Amorella – the investigation by Safety Investigation Authority, Finland, is ongoing - Onnettomuustutkintakeskus (turvallisuustutkinta.fi)

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

I've read in a couple of places today that Mariella has been sold to Corsica Ferries for delivery this Summer. 

https://www.shippax.com/en/news/corsica-ferries-acquires-viking-lines-mariella.aspx

Yep, just under €20m. Shippax also reporting that BF have confirmed to them that they're looking at Porto with the service possibly starting this month and running for 6 weeks initially.

• Like 1

Not bad for a 36 year old ship I suppose. She appeared to be pretty much immaculate when I sampled her back in 2016. 

Ferries do seem to 'live' longer these days don't they? Generally speaking that is. I remember when I first went to Norway on the (then) Color Viking in 1997, reading that she had been built in 1975 and remarking to my parents that it seemed really old 😂.

Agree with Ryan, although it was 9 yeas ago that I travelled from Stockholm to Helsinki on her.  She's rounding Skagen this evening on her way into the North Sea and on to the Med  

• Like 1