Dover-Calais ferries Suspended

Dover-Calais ferries suspended due to French strike action

Ferries between Dover and Calais have been suspended due to a strike by staff at the French port.

The 24-hour closure of the Port of Calais began at 8am on Thursday.

Ferry operators DFDS and P&O Ferries normally run a total of up to 50 sailings per day between Dover and Calais.

DFDS has switched one of its Calais ships to the Dover-Dunkirk route to provide extra capacity.

Freight vehicles and passengers due to travel between Dover and Calais with DFDS on Thursday are being shipped on the next available Dover-Dunkirk sailing instead.

The Port of Dover said in a statement: “We will continue to monitor the situation closely in liaison with our ferry partners and the Port of Calais.

“Please note that there may be delays to services when the Port of Calais reopens and services resume to normal.”

https://www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/national-news/18744486.dover-calais-ferries-suspended-due-french-strike-action/?fbclid=IwAR2xuMgw6MX3-qHY3NWZ4QbRIJP_yNxfzeiunsXnXDv50vGMXmH7qGa5ahc

50 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

I know it's only 24 hours but I wonder which P&O Do-Cal vessels would fit Zeebrugge. Presumably the Darwins will as they used to sail there I think,

I thought on hull size that the Darwins could do Boulogne too.

There's an admin complication with going to Belgium I think (around customs declarations for onboard stock)

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Jim said:

I thought on hull size that the Darwins could do Boulogne too.

There's an admin complication with going to Belgium I think (around customs declarations for onboard stock)

I don't think the Dover berth exists anymore at Zeebrugge?

But I too thought why not divert to Boulogne - have a very unused ferry terminal just waiting!

A couple of things spring to mind.  Zeebrugge - it may be that a lack of border force personnel or facilities from the UK would prevent crossings to Dover.  Ditto for Boulogne, also the lack of available (or sympathetic) shore staff suitably qualified for the job, plus any logistics for the port (dredging etc.).  It's been a while since I've been at either (Zeebrugge in 2016 heading to 'Ull, Boulogne whenever it was that LD operated by Transmanche did a Dover-Boulogne season).

1 hour ago, The Ferry Man said:

I don't think the Dover berth exists anymore at Zeebrugge?

Yes, that’s my understanding too.  After the TT berths were removed, I think the only berth left that was compatible with the Dover ferries was the one to the south of the NSF berth that was purpose-built for the European Seaway class.  But I have a vague recollection that this berth is either no longer in use or was converted (when P&O first started their Tilbury service?) so that it is no longer Dover-compatible.

So, yes, I don’t think P&O diverting the Calais operation to Zeebrugge, as used to happen regularly in TT days, is a possibility any more.

The old berth for the Seaway Class in Zeebrugge I think last saw action when it was being used by the Norcape in the 2000's and an adaptor pontoon was positioned in front of it so the lower deck fingers could be lowered on to it and then the Norcape could lower its ramp on to the pontoon.   Since then the upper deck has been removed and re-purposed as an additional roadway on the Norsky/Norstream berth.  The remaining lower deck is probably unusable, when last I saw it the maintenance walkway on it was quite badly bent, probably from the adaptor pontoon getting stuck under it.

Boulogne Hub Port is the diversion port of choice for P&O for long term disruption but that requires the cooperation of Border Force to shift their staff from Calais, when that doesn't happen they operate Dover-Boulogne only and sail light back to Dover.

It appears P&O and DFDS sailings to Calais have now resumed.

• Like 2

Boulogne has the disadvantage of being in France.  So whenever the reason for disruption at Calais is due to industrial unrest on the French side, Boulogne is more often than not either caught up in it as well or politically unfeasible.  But yes, it’s certainly a viable option (albeit limited to one linkspan) where the reason for Calais being out of use is technical.

During the My Ferry Link disruption P&O did send the  Darwins to  Boulogne but only to unload freight, there was no loading or  passengers.

Don't forget Calais and Boulogne come under the same administration so what ever the dispute was in Calais may well have been supported by Boulogne. 

Edited by Guest
9 hours ago, Danim24 said:

Pendant la perturbation de My Ferry Link, P&O a envoyé les Darwin à Boulogne, mais uniquement pour décharger le fret, il n'y avait ni chargement ni passagers.

N'oubliez pas que Calais et Boulogne relèvent de la même administration, donc quel que soit le différend à Calais, il se peut bien que Boulogne ait soutenu. 

The Spirit also was in Boulogne ;)