The suggestion that it may force the national governments of the region to change their stances is potentially interesting.  Sadly, I don’t think it’s airing in the UK.   But I’m sure that, if anything of substance does come out of it, it won’t be long before it gets out.

Yes, it turns out the new information isn’t new at all (it has been well established from the Rabe investigation that there is a hole in the side).  What is new is that the authorities appear to now be willing to concede it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just viewed the Estonia series on Discovery +. If you have an opportunity to see it do so. It’s one of the most compelling programmes to see to the end I have seen for a long time.

RIP for those lost in the disaster 

• Like 1

I know nothing about sinking ships... but could the crack be from impact with the sea bed? If she went down that suddenly there is a fair chance she descended to the bottom with quite a bump either stern, bow or inverted, whatever..  causing massive stresses on the hull?  Or are they suggesting an underwater ‘object’ struck the vessel whilst making way? Or are they suggesting a weakness in the hull compromised the ship? Design fault? 

sorry for the questions but I have not seen the video, do not have discovery.

I don't think there is anything on the seabed at those depths up there.

Is this hole a new discovery?

How big is the hole and is it on the starboard side?...

Is it a hole, a split seam or surface impact damage?  If it's an impact there will be a direction to it.

I know for a fact that survey divers cut holes in the hull, could it be one of these? 

Friend of mine who now runs the Hyperbaric Treatment & Training Centre on the Wirral legitimately dived on many wrecks for salvage surveys in the '90's and 00's, Estonia being one. He's always said that visibility was very good and that the ship wasn't very deep and could have been salvaged at that time. 

I wanted to watch back in November but don't want to pay yet another channel subscription. Already pay sky & BT a fortune then there's Amazon Prime & Netflix. I'm a bit miffed that you don't get Discovery Plus with any of them.

Watched this series over the last few days and firstly RIP to all who dies in this tragedy, watching the documentary really puts into perspective what they must have gone through.

It was one of the most fascinating and compelling documentaries I have watched for a long time for totally the wrong reasons and makes it quite clear that there is mite to the story.

Ad well as the causes as to why the vessel went down it completely unbelievable that (1) the site is so aggressively protected, (2) why they wanted to cover the wreck in stone and (3) why on earth the British are involved in the treaty despite having no geographical relevance to the disaster.

If anyone wants to watch it go to Discovery and sign up, you get 14 days free and then you can cancel before payment t begins. I watched with non-ferry enthusiasts and they were fixated to the documentary.

L’Q.

Edited by Le Quiberon
Grammatical error.
  • Like 2

I'm with Jonno - I'm on the point of binning my Sky Sports subscription for same reason, they've lost too much to BT and Amazon, but the price never seems to come down.  But coming back to the topic, there's a little museum by the old stone city gate in Tallinn with a moving little exhibit dedicated to the Estonia, including model of the vessel and, more poignantly, a life belt. Worth a look when life returns to normal

DSC_0453.JPG

1 hour ago, Pegpilot said:

I'm with Jonno - I'm on the point of binning my Sky Sports subscription for same reason, they've lost too much to BT and Amazon, but the price never seems to come down.  But coming back to the topic, there's a little museum by the old stone city gate in Tallinn with a moving little exhibit dedicated to the Estonia, including model of the vessel and, more poignantly, a life belt. Worth a look when life returns to normal

DSC_0453.JPG

Wow I went to Tallin last year and missed this, will be returning when we return to ‘normality’ it’s one of my fave outfits European cities.... will take a look when I go back.