Talking Cap F. Does anyone know this difference in cabin size between the 'outside 2 berth' and 'outside 2/4 berth large'.  They look very similar in width on the illustrations. Perhaps they are longer or does it just refer to the size of the bill.

I think the only difference is that the that the ‘large 2/4 berth’ has the additional bunk beds folded up against the bulkhead. 

There are some ‘2 berth outside’ cabins overlooking the bow, that certainly feel the same size. 

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think the only difference is that the that the ‘large 2/4 berth’ has the additional bunk beds folded up against the bulkhead. 

There are some ‘2 berth outside’ cabins overlooking the bow, that certainly feel the same size. 

Yes, that is what it seems from the pictures but I wondered to what the 'large' referred.

33 minutes ago, nodwad said:

That brings a thought,which ferry has the largest cabins ie 4 berth outside

I guess that the Etretat & Connemara have the largest standard 4 berths, they are certainly bigger than the Normandie ! MSM is still small, however feels bigger than the Normandie due to the vanishing upper bunks and the sofa during the day.

Edited by David Williams

ALMACO built the cabins for Cotentin, MSM & Pont Aven. They built those for the Sea France ships & Superfast and are partnered with Stena and the new Viking Line monsters. They are also heavily involved with the accommodation aboard many of the high profile cruise ships.

There's legislation which determines minimum sizes but I'll need to have a deep delve in the attic to find what it is.

As DW says MSM's cabins feel larger due to the flush fitting ceiling mounted berths but also because the lower bunks are very low to the floor... my knees tend to be higher than my bum when I sit on them. Never been in a standard Pont Aven cabin but I assume they're the same?

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Very small is how we found them (our only other recent experience being on North Sea Ferries era ships - Pride of Brges, Pride of Rotterdam and Norbay)

There's certainly some variance depending on which ones they are. Some of the 2 berth insides feel very claustrophobic. They're fine for a night, but certainly more than that can start to become a bit difficult. These days our travel budget is a little more flexible than it was, and even for just two of us we'll tend to go for an outside 4.

I remember being on a Pont-Aven NYE cruise many moons ago, and a couple moaning that their cabin was 'not as big as it was on our cruise' and that 'the wardrobe space is really bad'. The difference being, of course, that most people are on a cruise ship for a week whereas they'd put the same expectations on a ferry designed for a night or two.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Jim said:

ere's certainly some variance depending on which ones they are. Some of the 2 berth insides feel very claustrophobic

I think we have had both a two berth inside and a four berth. The two berth sticks in my mind as being a tiny L-shaped affair. At that point, Junior VV (Mark 1) was a newborn and they managed to shoehorn in a travel cot (which she deigned not to use, instead preferring to spend the early hours of the morning touring the deserted ship with me). When Junior VV (Mk2) came along we were ready for those tricks and simply took a bed guard with us (he also did very little sleeping). 

At our time of life the top bunk is a no-no (stairs & ladders are new concept when you live in aa bungalow). Whilst I don't like the vessel, IF's W B Yeats has larger cabins than any of BF's standard cabins; I say this because in any BF en-suite I have to have one foot in the shower tray for a stand up pee.