Espresso Egitto / LAMPEDUSA

I was watching Michael Palin going round the world on Sunday (took me back to Grandma's living room as a kid!).  On the first episode he sails from Venice via the Corinthe Canal on the Espresso Egitto, which was 15 years old at that point.

I was surprised to learn that she's still going - now the Lampedusa, and running from Sicily to Pantelleria - a tiny island between Sicily and Tunisia with a population of 7,700.

Here's a link to the programme (the ferry features from 34 minutes to the end) 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2020 at 14:47, VikingVoyager said:

I was watching Michael Palin going round the world on Sunday (took me back to Grandma's living room as a kid!).  On the first episode he sails from Venice via the Corinthe Canal on the Espresso Egitto, which was 15 years old at that point.

I was surprised to learn that she's still going - now the Lampedusa, and running from Sicily to Pantelleria - a tiny island between Sicily and Tunisia with a population of 7,700.

Here's a link to the programme (the ferry features from 34 minutes to the end) 

Every few years I tend to re-watch this - it's one of my earliest memories of seeing the world (through the tellymabob anyway). It becomes more fascinating each time and I think I prefer it to some of the later series which started to focus more on interviews/events (if you're in Budapest, spending half your time in a fashion house is not the best use of time).

It's always nice to also visit the places that get featured and think "Michael Palin's been here".

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jim said:

Every few years I tend to re-watch this - it's one of my earliest memories of seeing the world (through the tellymabob anyway). It becomes more fascinating each time and I think I prefer it to some of the later series which started to focus more on interviews/events (if you're in Budapest, spending half your time in a fashion house is not the best use of time).

It's always nice to also visit the places that get featured and think "Michael Palin's been here".

We must be similarly aged! Amazing to think how much has changed since he made that trip. I think back then, I was of the view that things would be largely the same when I grew up but the world is now entirely different. I very much enjoyed Budapest too and don't recall going in a Fashion House!

6 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

We must be similarly aged! Amazing to think how much has changed since he made that trip. I think back then, I was of the view that things would be largely the same when I grew up but the world is now entirely different. I very much enjoyed Budapest too and don't recall going in a Fashion House!

I did 18 months there from 2007 -2009, just soon enough after they joined the EU that it was still very much rooted in the past. It's unrecognisable today compared to what it was even then (I mean, there's even maps of the metro and signs in English!). There are some tales to tell...

I'm clinging in to my mid-thirties. Just.

• Haha 1

What shocked me when watching  Michael Palins travels was the realisation that I regularly visited most of his places before him in the 1970's. It was nice to see the thunder boxes used on the old Dows in the Gulf again. Beer in hand at the Old Dubai Calton Hotel watching the steady stream from the aft toilet facilities.

Oh for the 1970's queues at Indian airports and railway stations. Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1