Post-Brexit Ferry Contract

29 minutes ago, IanN said:

So it's an economy job then🙃

I look forward to reading some trip reports, my take is that the Galacia is mid range giving decent food with a reduced headcount. I imagine that more will be prepared on shore and that the inclusive meals is a deliberate way of matching costs with passenger numbers.

I think that it will be a perfectly pleasant ship to travel on, the outside bar looks especially good & in cabin electronics a good idea if the sound proofing works.

I am not so sure that the cabin configuration is the best for the future, maybe the Cotentin shared bathroom idea was a good one ! There are a number of tweets from lorry drivers who are enjoying having their own cabins that are not looking forward to sharing it with 3 'smelly' other people.

1 hour ago, veryoldbear said:

Nope, they need shore power, because in dry dock there is no water to run the engine cooling systems.

That makes sense.

I thought I remembered in the Ferry strip down episode on Pride of Bruges on BBC they said that one engine remained on when in dry-dock that's all. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I look forward to reading some trip reports, my take is that the Galacia is mid range giving decent food with a reduced headcount. I imagine that more will be prepared on shore and that the inclusive meals is a deliberate way of matching costs with passenger numbers.

I think that it will be a perfectly pleasant ship to travel on, the outside bar looks especially good & in cabin electronics a good idea if the sound proofing works.

I am not so sure that the cabin configuration is the best for the future, maybe the Cotentin shared bathroom idea was a good one ! There are a number of tweets from lorry drivers who are enjoying having their own cabins that are not looking forward to sharing it with 3 'smelly' other people.

It was a very much tongue in cheek comment.

Anyway if It's anything like CF in September then it will probably be sub economy until a solution to covid is found.

9 minutes ago, IanN said:

It was a very much tongue in cheek comment.

I half agree with you, I always referred to the Amorique as Economie plus & I suspect that the Galacia will be as well.

Brittany Ferries are a business and they need to remove costs (I seem to recall 25 Million Euros a year) and they have already said that they will stop cross subsidising routes for now. 

I still think that Galacia will be a very pleasant experience, however it won't be luxury !

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

That makes sense.

I thought I remembered in the Ferry strip down episode on Pride of Bruges on BBC they said that one engine remained on when in dry-dock that's all. 

A ship in actual dry dock, ie out of the water, will generally run on shore power. Cooling water can be provided by pipeline if required.

Ships just laid up in a wet dock, alongside anywhere, can also run on shore power or on one of its own generators.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I half agree with you, I always referred to the Amorique as Economie plus & I suspect that the Galacia will be as well.

Brittany Ferries are a business and they need to remove costs (I seem to recall 25 Million Euros a year) and they have already said that they will stop cross subsidising routes for now. 

I still think that Galacia will be a very pleasant experience, however it won't be luxury !

We did Dublin to Holyhead on Estrid who is a sister of Galicia and booked one of the two best cabins and visited the club lounge on our walkabout on a near deserted ship. In my view it is not economie just as good as Cap or Pont.

We have booked our northbound sailing on Pont next July and SWMBO checked the cost to transfer to Galicia and the cost was higher and we would arrive in Portsmouth when our preferred arrival port next year is Plymouth so no change.

• Like 1

I've seen clips of ships in dry dock with water pouring out of openings in the hull so that is presumably the cooling water for the generators. Ed

Thinking laterally, maybe the ship sank in the dock and they have now drained it...😀

2 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

We have booked our northbound sailing on Pont next July and SWMBO checked the cost to transfer to Galicia and the cost was higher and we would arrive in Portsmouth when our preferred arrival port next year is Plymouth so no change.

We have booked the PA next year to Santander, we did look at the Galicia, however wanted a decent sized cabin with fresh air & did not like the description of the outside door on the Suite on the Galicia !

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

We have booked the PA next year to Santander, we did look at the Galicia, however wanted a decent sized cabin with fresh air & did not like the description of the outside door on the Suite on the Galicia !

The Cabin we had on Estrid was exactly the one you have rejected. The door was no problem however it was public space outside but the boat was so lightly loaded that few people were on the walkway. We both sat outside on fixed outside benches and wedged the cabin door open. It would not be secure if you left the cabin door open. But locked and the curtain drawn was very discrete. The double bed was just like being at home but the duvet was too hot so we stripped it out and just used the cover.

• Like 1